Sign in to follow this  
martyjmcfly

not impressed with MY Miltek

Hi all - had a standard Miltek system installed on my car couple months ago when the original VW one rusted away and boy did i waste my money. Since installing it i have had two different parties fiddle and alter etc (no welding) and i'm still pissed off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have spent an additional £200 easy. :mad:

The banging on the bumper has now stopped but the grinding/clanging/resonating noise on the rear axel is still there. Their web site brags on about all there customers saying 'oh the best thing about miltek is the fit fit fit'

I'm not shouting fit fit fit!

I'm going to sell it on ebay soon and buy a new one.

So which one - i want top quality, no hassle fit and no loud kevy nova noise. The C is a quality piece of kit so it deserves it.

I saw a nice C recently with a nice s/s pipe which looked standard, is that the Supersprint type - Advice appreciated

Why have you spent £200+ on getting it 'fixed'?

Miltek's come with a lifetime warranty which should be upheld by the fitter!

it also depends on the exhaust fitter tho.............as my miltek originally banged when i first had mine fitted but was rectified pretty quickly when it was noticed

anyway if i'd known about the magnex being such a nice looking tailpipe and unobtrusive note i'd have gone for a magnex.........simislar price to the Miltek but IMHO a nice looking tailpipe and unobtrusive but nice note :wink:

http://www.supersprint.com/homeuk.htm

I rate Supresprint highly. Your choice of noise, just fit more pipes and less silencers. I had a single box on my mk1 and felt it was pretty pleasant. I used to do 15K a year in it.

The boxes are stainless with mildsteel pipes. Still last for years.

Gavin

My Miltek fit's perfect ! It's not exactly rocket science to adjust it correctly, has the straight intermedite pipe been cut down? i know on mine it was too long at first so i had to cut it down to stop it catching over the axle. Are you sure whoever has had a go at fixing it is any good?

martyjmcflyjnr, I take it you hav a VR?? - there is a fundamental design fault with there VR6 system which has been mentioned several times on the forum recently, it can be made to fit but will always be a bodge...

MAGNEX MAGNEX MAGNEX MAGNEX MAGNEX MAGNEX......need i say more, ive fitted more S/S systems than had hot dinners and had probs with most makes but only ever had one prob with a magnex and that was on a mk2 valver and it was a dodgy bend which they rectified by replacement the very next day. Worst was definately w*nkspeed though

Another thing to take into comsideration is if your c is lowered,mine was so low there was no room for the zorst over the axle and that knock like hell.

Whilst i understand your frustration and dissapointment with the way in which you have been treated by who ever it was supplied and fitted your system, i don't agree with your generic outburst against Milltek. Surely if you have employed somone's services to fit this system then they are duty bound to do just that? I do not understand why you have had to pay £200 to cover the cost of additional attention as required. Surely if the fitter had done the job right initially you would not have had to return. Why did the fitter not honour his work and carry out any additional post settling adjustment FOC? In the worst case scenario are you aware that the people which you describe so harshly, namely Milltek, take a great pride in what they do and will be only to happy to ensure that each and every customer is satisfied. In your case they would gladly receive you warmly at the factory and ensure their product was fitted to your satifaction and theirs. I am a Milltek supplier and system fitter. I would not dream of treating one of my customers in this fashion, indeed if i were to i feel sure Milltek would have every right to terminate our contract. Before you despair and create further cost to yourself, please contact Milltek and ask to speak to Phil Millington, he will be most interested in your case and will be able to offer correction for the poor treatment you have received to date. In my experience Milltek offer a very high quality product backed up by excellent after sales support, at the end of the day it is the fitting which has caused depair not the product. If you require further assistance in this matter please do not hesitate to contact me.

if you have to go modifying and shortening the system for a perfect fit it doesent sound much good to me, best cut your losses and buy a supersprint,,,

Erm.. or a VW one!!! I don't recall anyone ever having any trouble, like, EVER with a genuine part...

Not as expensive as you'd think. Use the search, luke..

Yeah, VAG exhaust are great and mostly cheaper than pattern parts, even cheaper if GSF sell them.

The only thing I would say about the VR system is that it's seriously heavy and if you want to save weight then aftermarket is the way to go but if you don't want added noise and just want a long lasting quality system then stick with VAG and you can even get it fitted by dropping the rear axle so it's not cut (same as original)

My Miltek's perfect. 16VG60 fitted it and there are no bangs rattles or anything.

martyjmcflyjnr: I think you should take these issues up like John said with the fitter. Putting up flippant posts entitled "Milltek is Crap" can do a lot to harm the credibility and good-will that Milltek tries so hard to achieve. Not to mention the potential harm to suppliers of these exhausts when you go off on one. There are also plenty of other forum users who own Milteks and are satisfied with them.

The boxes are stainless with mildsteel pipes. Still last for years.

Gavin

Other way round... stainless pipes, mild steel boxes.

1) Precision finished joints and perfectly positioned brackets, for easy mounting and a flawless fit.

2) Heavy duty, stainless steel inlet tube, 1,5 mm thick.

3) Long lasting sound absorbing materials (Rock wool, with stainless steel wool wrap around silencer cores).

4) Free-flow silencer design, smooth-gas flow y-shape inner tube.

5) Aluminum plated steel silencer box, 1,5 mm thick.

6) Stainless steel, 1,2 to 1,5 mm thick inner perforated tubes.

7) Stainless steel, 1,0 mm thick, chrome plated tail pipes, with inward rolled edge, chosen from 19 different styles of design and shape, suited to each car model.

8 ) Stainless steel silencer endcaps.

I couldn't help myself. I had to check. :D

The silencers appear to be stainless and mild steel. Anyway having owned one for a long time they do last, which was the point I was going for.

Cheers

Gavin

Thank you for all of the helpful replies - i'm opting for the Supersprint system.

Apologies to those who took offense to my original title - i have since changed this. I can only go my first hand experience. On further reading it is clearly stated that the level of quality has gone down so what can i say. Do you write letters of complaint to Max Power/Fast car etc in uproar of their reporting?

This topic was started so i could gain knowledge of what better alternatives there are, not to recieve complaints.

Yeah I've had two Supersprint systems too Gav and they are a mix and match of metals for sure!! They're made in the same way the VAG VR6 one is, hence the refinement.

They go on for years as you say and the fit and finish is flawless!!

Thank you for all of the helpful replies - i'm opting for the Supersprint system.

You will not be dissapointed by SuperSprint, I guarantee that.

Apologies to those who took offense to my original title -

We're thick skinned on here, don't worry about it :D You were just passing on your thoughts of a product you're not happy with, which is what forums are all about.

I've had a supersprint, milltek and a magnex over the years on different Corrado's.

Magnex was the first on my G60, fit was spot on, but found it too noisy, and the middle box fell apart within 6 months (replaced on warranty). Replaced it with a supersprint.

So supersprint. The rear exhaust hanger was a really crap design, never got it to sit right, made a lovely noise though, just a shame it hit the axel most of the time! Sold this car to Nigel Brookes (G60JET) and believe the centre pipe gave way on this in its second year of life (again replaced on warranty).

Next up Milltek, bought second had so an early system. Fit was a bit of a pig but sits nicely now with no banging what so ever, sounds lovely. No probs so far.

So conclusions from me. On the whole exhausts are a pain in the butt full stop. Every system seems to have fault in my experience! Which is the best...... Not sure I can answer that question!

Putting up flippant posts entitled "Milltek is Crap" can do a lot to harm the credibility and good-will that *insert name of any company here tries so hard to achieve.

Let's not forget as Kev has already mentioned that that's what forums are all about, to express views of what are ultimately commercial products, i.e. made by companies that at the end of the day need to make a profit (sometimes no matter how)!! We, however, are the customers, who should enjoy freedom of speech irrespective of consequences otherwise there is something wrong (I have seen the nightmare scenario, where forums were sponsored by suppliers :mad:, mods then starting to gag members - needless to say that all went horribly pearshaped, resulting in a new forum )

So I personally, even though I run my own company, and even I have to admit to the "thick customer syndrome :lol: ", still believe in total freedom of opinion :D

Coming back to topic, apart from my recent less pleasant experience with my Milltek, I am overall still quite happy with it, even though it does use thinner gauge tubing than Powerflow (who I have compared their tubes to recently, as I have taken apart the Milltek on the Rado, and the Powerflow on my Storm Rocco). A lot also depends on the fitter, the same goes for Powerflow, where horror stories exist about bad fitment, not the product's fault perse.

Tempest

Agreed, this forum is very open and lenient and I'm sure you'd all prefer it to remain that way.....

The only way to be sure about buying product X for a Corrados is on recommendation from resources such as this forum, so if members want to warn us about troublesome products, then I for one am not going to police it as they're doing us a favour quite frankly.....

IMHO, this is one of the best threads since I have been a member here.

The value of this forum is being well demonstrated.

The marketplace is a jungle for the consumer.

As I have said before "too much information", today. Can be as bad as too little.

You can never eliminate bias and prejudice, whether it is based on true experience or not - that is the nature of the beast that is the human being. :evil:

However, informed opinion from all sides helps us make our own decisions about what product we will go for, or what is a reasonably wise line of action to take.

Big thanks to all you guys who chip in with your hard-won knowledge, I am sure I speak for many when I say it is well appreciated.

PS - MOT in May - C 10 years old. Prepared to hear bad news about requirement for exhaust/catalyst, hence interest here!