Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Apologies for gazumping your post fendervg, hope you get yours sorted. Fingers crossed it’s not too expensive to fix  

Not at all - your project looks great, keep up the good work!

On 2/17/2020 at 9:00 PM, fendervg said:

Got towed home by the AXA recovery dude - luckily only 10 mins drive from my house.

Engine cut out coming down the outside lane of a particularly fast slip road off our orbital "motorway"  on my way home from work, and would not start again, starter engages, seems to catch but won't fire up, could be fuel problem I guess, but haven't had a chance to look yet as it's too dark and cold now. A nice chap in another near vintage car pulled over and stopped the traffic so we could move the VR to the off side hard shoulder to wait. No-one else was stopping, but he said he could empathise as he'd been in the same boat plenty of times. Kudos.

And to top it all  off the recovery driver was the same guy who helped out two years ago when a coolant hose burst! Recognised the car immediately.

Ah well, at least it has been a relatively trouble free daily for two years - I wish.

Had a chance today to take a look at this - no fuel at rail, jumpered the pump relay, good 12v at the plug in the boot, and no noise from the pump. This was a brand new VDO one that was fitted only March 2019, so might bring it back to the supplier and see what they can do.

Took it out of the tank and when you apply current all you get is a faint click but nothing else. The little filter bag inside the swirl pot had quite a few small bit of debris in it - but not metallic, looked more like plastic, rubber etc, with some shiny bits as well - maybe contamination or some of the pump innards perhaps?

The swirl pot assembly was really hard to remove as well - in the end I used one of those oil filter wrenches that have a fabric strap - never used it before at all, but at least it now came in handy!

Time to put the battery on charge and check the attic for my old Pierburg pump......

Yeah, it was a full VDO unit - swirlpot, pump and a VDO sender unit which I had to buy separately. Do you still have a link to that source for decently priced VDO pumps that you found a while back?

I gonna put the original 27 year old one back in for now, hopefully to get me going.

Edited by fendervg

39 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Yeah, it was a full VDO unit - swirlpot, pump and a VDO sender unit which I had to buy separately. Do you still have a link to that source for decently priced VDO pumps that you found a while back?

I gonna put the original 27 year old one back in for now, hopefully to get me going.

Hi mate will be on the fuel pump thread if you can find it . I actually got mine from buycarpartsuk from Germany but they had it priced incorrectly and got it dirt cheap . I did post on the fuel pump thread though the cheapest place to buy it - was MIster Auto off ebay. Put the VDO part number on ebay mate and it will come up. 

Started stripping out Grimmys old storm that’s been sat in my garage for 6 years..

Drained the oil and 3 litres of water / coolant cane out first- oil sits on the top
5921aaf74cadc70d3174815f3eb59395.jpg

Wishbones, brakes, front struts badly rusted

e7c7365a0d1658b6d9e74403b1f1f6ae.jpg849b563c6415bb625eba60ae1e03af56.jpg02cd398a34bce53908309c8e6c21cafb.jpg

Rear axle not much better

Hoping to have the engine and gearbox out next week

22cd1f521428495d3addcbb37b243964.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this car based on the coast , that is some serious rust. 

Burnley, about as far from the coast as you can get lol

d62119b5e6c0bf67edd91e00726205dc.jpg

Maybe it was a bit of a company car at some point and did a lot of mileage on the salted motorways in the winter.   

12 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Maybe it was a bit of a company car at some point and did a lot of mileage on the salted motorways in the winter.   

Under 100k as it sits, it’s a long time since it had a battery on it.

I bought it September 2013 with good intentions, it’s been garaged ever since, other cars have lived outside in that time1308219e954a4e24375e8a4a673c7a66.jpg

1 hour ago, Keyo said:
Has good potential by all accounts. 

So I did another couple of hours this afternoon, the head bolts at the rear were all east to undo, the reason I bought it so cheaply was due to the car being a non runner after auxiliary belt tensioner failure on the motorway

5550350d857b759e5539e1b353b8802b.jpg

3f8429df6b2047523dc0e41305c24a66.jpg

08885a69fe405f2a58d260973362dfa8.jpg

389033aafe9635808faaec2d8e6ab94f.jpg

85098af3f715d04aea77e08cf355d999.jpg

b743c68245db7ae337e802a618755bb5.jpg

0425d881725767c1637bb027fe685152.jpg

Oh dear

Edited by Dox

Has good potential by all accounts. 

So I did another couple of hours this afternoon, the head bolts at the rear were all east to undo, the reason I bought it so cheaply was due to the car being a non runner after auxiliary belt tensioner failure on the motorway 5550350d857b759e5539e1b353b8802b.jpg

3f8429df6b2047523dc0e41305c24a66.jpg

08885a69fe405f2a58d260973362dfa8.jpg

389033aafe9635808faaec2d8e6ab94f.jpg

85098af3f715d04aea77e08cf355d999.jpg

b743c68245db7ae337e802a618755bb5.jpg

0425d881725767c1637bb027fe685152.jpg

Oh dear

How did the aux belt failure cause this , if overheated couldn't they of just pulled over ?  

3 minutes ago, Keyo said:

How did the aux belt failure cause this , if overheated couldn't they of just pulled over ?  

The tensioners plastic  roller bearing seized and the belt melted the now stationary plastic roller, the alternator is seized too now - I've never seen that before either.

I've PM'd Matt - the previous owner to make him aware I've finally got my finger out (the Mrs wants her patio back - I've got 2 other cars parked on it ATM), he bought the car from Port Talbot to replace his G60 that got written off, the Storm was a disappointment after the G60 as well as life, family and work taking over so he sold it to me.

Next I want to remove the rotten front wings and check over the whole body to see if its worth repairing - my welding is horrible!

Found the original sale thread, sounds like the tensioner failed on the motorway with kids in the car, so I don't blame him for limping on to the next services TBH

Nasty - with the aux belt gone he would have lost the water pump, alternator and power steering - you won't get far on just battery charge with no low speed turning and a cooking VR6 engine!

Happened to me once with an Audi I5 engine, but luckily it was just around the corner from where I live when it broke.

Edited by fendervg

15 minutes ago, Keyo said:

How much did you buy for ? 

I paid the sellers price, no haggling, I also bought 2 wings for £40 each from Matt. I also bought a 2.9 engine from another forum member for £50.

different times back then

Wow Wow, that is one engine needing some time, patience and money. I look forward to seeing it totally bare. 

It is great that we can now post pictures . Well done Dox

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Wow Wow, that is one engine needing some time, patience and money. I look forward to seeing it totally bare. 

It is great that we can now post pictures . Well done Dox

I'll attempt to clean the bores with the block in situ next week, priorities are to assess the rest of the shell, remove the rotten wings etc

Started my car. I haven't done this since about October, so I am happy. Started first time so I was very impressed. 

Hopefully I can get the mobile aircon man round to test my system and fill it up. If all goes to plan, the front end goes back on and then I can it to get painted.

This year hopefully 🤞

Bought some high lift stands yesterday and got the rear of the storm in the air

10e268826b313413dc69c313076ebb7f.jpg

Part of the right rear piston crown is missing and the cylinder is scored (I removed the rust with a Stanley blade) rotated the crank with a spanner back and forth until the crank rotates 360 degrees

95ddccee9b799fb2593d17498aeddf2b.jpg

60addfd576a86ef666bc5015941c3c23.jpg

47f9055848b0265dad63212270fc561c.jpg

Obviously the piston is no longer any use, the block maybe salvageable? It looked to be perfect prior to the HGF