Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

34 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Got the bonnet stuck! Unusually it’s released on the passenger side but sticking on the driver’s, every time I’ve known it in the past it’s been the other way round. Pulling the release handle it feels like there’s not enough resistance so I’m guessing the end cone’s slipped. Shut the garage door in disgust!

I had this yesterday but it was the passenger side that was stuck and it was indeed slack in the cable on the trumpet. Got the  bonnett handle pulled up and bounced on the pin that was stuck and it realised. You can get a new trumpet off ebay if required Let me know and I can drop you the link. If its the other trumpet that has failed with out the screw let me know I can help.  

Edited by Keyo

13 hours ago, Keyo said:

I had this yesterday but it was the passenger side that was stuck and it was indeed slack in the cable on the trumpet. Got the  bonnett handle pulled up and bounced on the pin that was stuck and it realised. You can get a new trumpet off ebay if required Let me know and I can drop you the link. If its the other trumpet that has failed with out the screw let me know I can help.  

Thanks for the offer mate. I think the passenger side trumpet's OK, I put a new socket head screw in it the other day because the thread was a bit tired and it wasn't tightening so well, it always seem to take a while settling in again when the front been off the car. First things first, I've got to get into it, I can't even get the grill to come out with the lip spoiler fitted so it'll be mole grips on the cable in the car to try pull it a bit more and release the driver's side. I'll have a go at it when I knock off tonight!

13 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Thanks for the offer mate. I think the passenger side trumpet's OK, I put a new socket head screw in it the other day because the thread was a bit tired and it wasn't tightening so well, it always seem to take a while settling in again when the front been off the car. First things first, I've got to get into it, I can't even get the grill to come out with the lip spoiler fitted so it'll be mole grips on the cable in the car to try pull it a bit more and release the driver's side. I'll have a go at it when I knock off tonight!

Can you get someone to help and press down on the bonnet of the side that is sticking, whilst pulling the cable. It may just be enough in releasing some pressure. Good luck with it though  🤞

Keep the handle pulled back by using the seatbelt looped around it, then press down on the side that's stuck. 😉

3 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Keep the handle pulled back by using the seatbelt looped around it, then press down on the side that's stuck. 😉

After the wife had got bored with it yesterday I cut a piece of wood to wedge in behind it! 

Showed total disregard for my finger ends and managed to lift the lip spoiler enough to get the grill out from under it. Cost me three knuckles and a couple of light scratches on the bumper but it came out! Bent a hook from a wire coat hanger which I then hooked around the drivers side latch and pulled it with mole grips and it released.o

The thread on the bolt in the passenger side trumpet was gone letting it slip half inch or so, a new M3 bolt and its fixed.....I daren’t drop the bonnet yet though, save that for another day!

Edited by tonedef

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

Showed total disregard for my finger ends and managed to lift the lip spoiler enough to get the grill out from under it. Cost me three knuckles and a couple of light scratches on the bumper but it came out! Bent a hook from a wire coat hanger which I then hooked around the drivers side latch and pulled it with mole grips and it released.o

The thread on the bolt in the passenger side trumpet was gone letting it slip half inch or so, a new M3 bolt and its fixed.....I daren’t drop the bonnet yet though, save that for another day!

Tried and tested on mine is 100 percent the same as a Corrado. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-UR-QUATTRO-TURBO-COUPE-80-90-COUPE-B2-BONNET-CABLE-END-CLAMP-811823555/303539838945?hash=item46ac625fe1:g:CU4AAOSwLfZee8Ew

On 5/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, Keyo said:

VW Rule I was at Stealth and they painted a subframe with POR 15 had a lovely finish and one little can did two coats of one subframe - apparently it is great stuff  and has great resistance against stone chips and rust, much better than powder coating. 

POR-15 Rust Preventative can be sprayed or brushed on to provide a rock hard, yet flexible, non-porous coating that will not shrink, peel, or crack. It is totally resistant to road salt, petrol, battery acid, etc., and actually dries harder in humid damp conditions. Ideal for suspension and chassis protection.

Cant say the same as above for powder coating.

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-113ml-rust-prev/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oCBjsW66QIVCLrtCh2x3gU6EAYYASABEgLU5PD_BwE

Thanks for the link I was looking at getting something like that, but I've heard good and bad things about POR15,  plus the way they market it is you have to buy the whole kit or risk of it not working for long from what I've read and heard ?

POR15 cleaner degreaser, 

POR15 metal prep rust killer,

POR15 under coat

POR15 top coat

It's quite expensive stuff, well for 500ml on Ebay anyway.

In the end I went for zink 182 grey primer, on top I applied red oxide, then top coat used black hammerite, then over that used XHT clear lacquer which has a high temperature resistance, then wax oiled in the crevices and brushed some on the top of subframe, and along the seam edges basically where water can sit sometimes.

Can't see that rusting anytime soon, well hopefully not.

Si 👍

On 5/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, vw rule said:

Thanks for the link I was looking at getting something like that, but I've heard good and bad things about POR15,  plus the way they market it is you have to buy the whole kit or risk of it not working for long from what I've read and heard ?

POR15 cleaner degreaser, 

POR15 metal prep rust killer,

POR15 under coat

POR15 top coat

It's quite expensive stuff, well for 500ml on Ebay anyway.

In the end I went for zink 182 grey primer, on top I applied red oxide, then top coat used black hammerite, then over that used XHT clear lacquer which has a high temperature resistance, then wax oiled in the crevices and brushed some on the top of subframe, and along the seam edges basically where water can sit sometimes.

Can't see that rusting anytime soon, well hopefully not.

Si 👍

Sounds good mate Ive got mine powder coated but I know its not the best protection as comes off in peels- so yours sounds good. 

So I imagine we have all purchased the scuttle air box adhesive backed  seal from heritage and there is a large bit left over in the centre which I kept as I knew it would be useful for something.  Used mine today on a mission to stop rattles and squeaks in the cabin. 

After much investigation and a few swear words the biggest culprit is the gearshift surround trim , the one you pull up to get to the obd reader + the c pillars. Just put some chunks of this under trims and the rattling has literally gone to 0 in the cabin. Took 5 minutes and the bit was free so bonus! and some left over!! 

scus.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Good idea - I have several sheets of A4 sticky backed felt that I use for this kind of stuff. Worth checking - there should be two metal clips that hold the trim cover to the tunnel section. are both of those there - with one missing you would get a fair bit of movement...

Just checked there is gold one on the one side but the over fecker is missing ! One of these missing N90401701

Edited by Keyo

That's the one - they should stay in the tunnel part when you lift off the trim - feels a bit like it's gonna break, but pops off with a click. I think VW Classics had them a while back.

I shut the boot and the numberplate plinth fell off, boo.

Tentatively looked behind and found no rust, yay.

Took this off tonight,what a nightmare 😂

Double sided tape along the bottom which needed to be heated up and tentatively peeled back whilst trying to cut it from the top with a hacksaw blade 👍🏻

F11D34CF-BFD9-4FDA-B675-81C827D3F2D9.jpeg

F4D5909F-EB72-4DA9-971D-79C3B3738D15.jpeg

Got some new boots today. Full set of Yoko's fitted, just waiting for my brake MC back so I can get them all bled and back on her feet for the first time in over 2 years! Once that's done, it'll be time to attempt the first fire up in almost 4 years! 😬

Edited by seanl82

14 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Got some new boots today. Full set of Yoko's fitted, just waiting for my brake MC back so I can get them all bled and back on her feet for the first time in over 2 years! Once that's done, it'll be time to attempt the first fire up in almost 4 years! 😬

Sean, which Toyos have you purchased?

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Sean, which Toyos have you purchased?

Not Toyos Cressa, Yokohama. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:14 PM, Nmdsec said:

Took this off tonight,what a nightmare 😂

Double sided tape along the bottom which needed to be heated up and tentatively peeled back whilst trying to cut it from the top with a hacksaw blade 👍🏻

F11D34CF-BFD9-4FDA-B675-81C827D3F2D9.jpeg

F4D5909F-EB72-4DA9-971D-79C3B3738D15.jpeg

I did this last month, using a heat gun and melting a 5p size dot in the process. Looks like you did alright. All the nodes look intact as well, so kudos to you.

Edited by James.

55 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Not Toyos Cressa, Yokohama. 

Sorry mate, my crap texting !!

I got Advan Flava v701 via blackcircles. They were £76 each fitted but I've just checked and they're NLA, though they list the Advan HF but they're £130 each!

Manufacturing date is 5219 so I reckon I probably got the last set of the batch.

3 hours ago, James. said:

I did this last month, using a heat gun and melting a 5p size dot in the process. Looks like you did alright. All the nodes look intact as well, so kudos to you.

Thanks,wish I could say the same for the passenger door weather strip,totally lost it,lots of expletives coming from the garage 😂

040220F2-9AE5-4455-8334-4030EEF399D4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Nmdsec said:

Thanks,wish I could say the same for the passenger door weather strip,totally lost it,lots of expletives coming from the garage 😂

040220F2-9AE5-4455-8334-4030EEF399D4.jpeg

Holy moly, you really did. Poor thing looks like it’s been run over. Think you can save it ? (not like they’re available off the shelf).