andy.b

handbrake handle surround

There's a clip on the underside of it that needs levering out with screwdriver whilst you pull the handle forward towards the dash.

If it's not been off before, go easy as it may come off with a twang and you'll put your fist through your stereo!

with great skill and dedication... ;)

There's a lug underneith it where the plastic bit attaches, the trick is to press this lug (DON'T LEVER IT! it's a lever type affair and levering it will just break it!) and pull the surround off forwards...

It's not easy to do (kind of the idea so it doesn't keep coming off in your hand :lol: ) but if you stick with it, you'll get there... 8)

Don't pull to hard with your back facing the windscreen, I did and cracked my screen...

Got the bloody handle off though!

I'm having the same trouble (just had new rear brake calpiers fitted and brake lever now lifts much higher than before / than I would like - 3-clicks would seem about right to me).

I mean, how hard should it be to gain access to handbrake cable tensioning nuts on a car - suerly this is a 'normal' maintainence type procedure? It is almost as if VW designed the grip to *never* come off (very handy when you are using it of course!). Perhaps they expect to break them and always fit a new one!?

Anyhow, I have pushed the little tab under the rear of the grip up till I'm blue in the face and tried levering it down with a tiny screwdriver - all to no avail.... grip will not budge. It looks like the collar of the main plastic covering sleeve goes beneath the little grip tab and stops the tab from being pressed up very far? but since you can't remove the former without first removing the latter it's a bit of a catch 22 :( .

I guess I'm just going to have to live with the higher leaver position rather than risk breaking the handle (or my fingers).

Additional info... April 2010:

My garage has just recommended new handbrake cables, so removal of the handbrake handle (and thus the central plastic covers in advance) has become more than just desirable, but essential! So, today, after reading through all the relevant posts on this forum I had another go, and this time, success :) .

The same issue was present, being that the rear tab 'lever' underneath could not be pushed up much (if at all) due to the main handbrake sleeve shroud behind it getting in the way. So, I prised the lower leather covering forwards from the back of the handle (a small hand mirror is very useful here), hoping the stitching would not break in the process, revealing the front half this 'lever' on which I found a sort of plastic bump sticking downwards. By placing a thin screwdriver in the gap between this bump and the rear most handle grip, I could gently lever backwards on the screwdriver causing this front part of the lever to move downwards to free the handle and enable it to be pulled off.

I attach a couple of pics. (sorry, taken on a cheap mobile phone) which I hope will help explain this.....

David.

Edinburgh.

Edited by yellowdfp
Additional info.... solution found.

Not sure if this is still an issue.

I recently bought a new handle, put it on without the plastic shoulder, just to see, and also couldn't get the bloody thing off.

The lug is under the handle towards the base and, in effect, has to be pulled up, towards you. So, in towards the body of the handle, but up towards you.

I have found if you get a screwdriver shaft and place it perpendicular to and under the lug, you can then pull on the screwdriver shaft and it gives a stronger pull, whereas fingers get depressed. Once the see saw lug moves and unclips, it all comes off very easily and smoothly.

Sorry the huge bump but aarrrgggghhhhhhh!

I've tried everything suggested in this thread and the ****ing thing won't budge. My fingers are busted!

Edited by OllieVR6

Well I bought a handbrake handle, the plastic bit from behind it and a new gear knob from the dealers and all in it was over £100 so I really don't want to break it :( I had to walk away in the end, I was getting rage!

I replaced my handle with a nice alloy billet one which makes it a good sight easier to work in that area.

I'll try and have a look at the old one to see how you get it off again. Dont know why VW made it so difficult tbh. I've got another billet handle (in fact 2!) if you're interested...

Edited by fla

If you haven't got the plastic 'flap' fitted to the handbrake (the one that's always broken!) then the clip on the grip doesn't have anything to clip onto - it just pulls off. Mind your knuckles on the centre console though!

Look after the flap if you have any spare - I tried ordering one a few weeks back and they've doubled in price...

I still haven't been able to remove this, from those pictures it looks more like you should push down on the top of the handle at back? I can't see from here what that bottom clip is clipping on to.

Well I bought a handbrake handle, the plastic bit from behind it and a new gear knob from the dealers and all in it was over £100 so I really don't want to break it :( I had to walk away in the end, I was getting rage!

that much really?? i bought a new handle last year and it was circa £4+ vat.. or did you buy the actual handbrake lever itself?

i was going to replace the leather trim at the time aswell but that was something ridiculous like £31+vat!

regardless the new handle i bought still isnt fitted..lol

Those two parts in the pictures plus a leather gear knob was about £100 I think :(

I will find the paper work and double check!

Ollie, i might be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks, so we could have a bash some time during a lunch break perhaps, if you've not got it sorted by then?

Do as below and it should come out. Mine refused to move until i used this method.

The lug is under the handle towards the base and, in effect, has to be pulled up, towards you. So, in towards the body of the handle, but up towards you.

I have found if you get a screwdriver shaft and place it perpendicular to and under the lug, you can then pull on the screwdriver shaft and it gives a stronger pull, whereas fingers get depressed. Once the see saw lug moves and unclips, it all comes off very easily and smoothly.

Hasan, thanks for the offer mate! I managed to get the handle off but I broke it lol. I'm going to see what I can make as a repair to hopefully not have to replace it and make it easier to remove in future but keep it secure.

I tried the lever method with a screw driver and whilst it makes sense, the screw driver kept slipping and taking bits out of the lug. Was I doing it wrong?

Sent from my HTC Desire

I had installed new handle and handbrake arm cover. I had to take them off today to adjust my handbrake, and I as perscribed, just took a screwdriver perpendicular underneath and pressed the horizontal flap upwards a bit, and viola, it slided off as nothing. Very easy once you get the idea.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I certainly would want too ;)

Here in my waters, they are obsolete.

Cheers,

Redfox.