Yandards

Yandards' 16VG60 - Running Report 23 Jul 15

You port it yourself dude?

I rebuilt mine shortly after your visit with new gaskets etc but was too scared to take the dremel to it!

Yeh self port steveo. Would get the boost return section enlarged on a lathe next time I think, the lower half was no where near as messy.

Jim, it's a guiness engine..

You got that knock sensor bit yet?

Yes and its too bloody big. :mad:

Need to think about another way of doing it, maybe machine it down to fit inside an existing core plug or to replace a core plug, not sure which yet.

Or I could just see if I can fit it to another point on the block.

Had a slack arse week, done mostly nothing.

Rev counter is staying standard valver as it goes it 8k and thats is all I need ATM.

Right then, got off my arse and did some jobs.

Fitted the thermostat, not a massive job but it's done now.

Retimmed the engine, fitted the timing belt covers and the rest of the pulleys except for the PAS bits.

Resolved the knock sensor problem, it is going next to the knock sensor in the pic on one of the raised bits of the engine. Should be in approximately the same place as the one on the G60, the flat section is the same size, just need to flat the paint back.

Not sure what to do about the cylinder head cooling flange, I think I have found someone who does a straight job, like the G60 but to mate up to the 16v head. Failing that I will use an ABF one that I have.

Pics are off all those bits and pieces.

looking good! so what are you going to run intercooler wise ? standard rallye/Golf G60 one? or a custom jobbie? also what about pulley sizes? looks like you a using the standard one in the pics, is that just for running in purposes ?

looking good! so what are you going to run intercooler wise ? standard rallye/Golf G60 one? or a custom jobbie? also what about pulley sizes? looks like you a using the standard one in the pics, is that just for running in purposes ?

Intercooler is a merc sprinter, going to run a thin electric fan instead of OE so I can move the rad back a bit.

Pulley size is standard and staying that way. I want it drive like a valver still, and at 8k rpm engine the charger is up around 12k rpm, don't want to fit a smaller pulley just a higher reving engine! But that will be another story and a bit quicker hopefully. :wink:

Need to sort the coolant flange, then the injector wiring loom, PAS brackets need cleaning and fitting up along with the pump. Then it's going to be fitting the coolant hoses on (still need to get those) source a suitable FPR etc

Do you want me to bring my old G60 hoses up to see what fits

Nah it's fine mate, I know what I need, I just need to buy it ;)

Might be a fair chance that you will be giving me a hand fitting it too, as long as I can get the bulkhead all cleaned up and re-waxoiled after we get the old one out.

..er and swap the 5th cog on the gearbox ok.

After the (late) arrival of a Mr S Charged, we cracked straight into getting the bumper off and slam panel out. Last pic of the old engine, until it eventually goes back in as another, better 16v G60 (in about 10 years!!)

Looking forward to in excess 280nm (around 210 lbft) of torque at 4200rpm :twisted:

Pics are below:

I may do yeah - do I just drive past Aberdeen and look out for a bunch of blokes wearing skirts and arguing??

Och Aye...........depends when we come back from the haggis shooting :lol: :lol: :lol:

is Mr S-charged going to head past Aberdeen on his way home to meet the Eastsiders on Tuesday per chance?

You coming over to the elgin panzer meet on sunday afternoon rodders?

Steve is going as well so it would be good if you could get over.

is Mr S-charged going to head past Aberdeen on his way home to meet the Eastsiders on Tuesday per chance?

You coming over to the elgin panzer meet on sunday afternoon rodders?

Steve is going as well so it would be good if you could get over.

aside from Elgin :-P where-a-bouts is it?

I may do yeah - do I just drive past Aberdeen and look out for a bunch of blokes wearing skirts and arguing??

I lolled.

And me :lol:

It's all go now then Yan? Do you have a target time to get the engine in and running?

I concur.

Any chance of some more pics?

Are you taking the engine bay back to bare metal and respraying it whilst you're there? or just clean up whatever needs doing?