Sign in to follow this  
dinkus

Would you buy a new Corrado?

People have been talking about what can I get to replace the C and what can I get for £X a fair bit recently and it's got me thinking.

I know there are a few guys on here that have owned their Corrados since new, but most of us have bought them within the last few years for (relatively) little money.

So the question is, if brand new Corrados were still on sale today for the same kind of money they were originally (circa £28k) would you still buy one over anything else that you could get for the same money?

i can safely say...that if they brought a new model out that was anything as good as the original i would be first in line for a new one....................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope, can't afford a £28K car at the moment! :lol:

If I could though, I dunno what I'd get.... I'd probably end up with a Golf with a REALLY silly engine in it, or an Audi sporty big thing (NOT a TT... :roll: )

No no, I mean if they were still making the same model now, would you still buy one over anything else you could get for £28k or so?

So as in if they sold the Corrado, using all the same parts etc but just brand new and warrantied?

No one would buy one for 28k for starters.. they'd have to do some SERIOUS overhauling to make it remotely tempting. And as I could never afford a 28k car, then my answer would be no anyway :)

ahhh..... i see......thats a bit more tricky..... i reckon if it was the same model id be a bit miffed spending 28k on it!theres always a good low millage around for ALOT less than that!

then again...i should take what i said back...i wouldnt be first in line..id probebly hang around for a year or 2 for the 1owner 5k on the clock jobbies for a few grand less, (( ive promised myself that i'll NEVER buy a brand new car !))

I reckon if they sold them with a new dub style interior, 24v VR/R32 lumps and working sunroofs they'd sell like hot cakes...

Yeah.. I was thinking with a few subtle styling tweaks, some ace OE wheels, modern engine possibly (maybe passat style W8?), 4Motion, and a nice interior (like the R32 again) then they could have a £30k car.. potentially..

Hmmmm I wonder if you could actually get one built up like that from an existing shell for £28k... :lol:

Mind you Jay's almost there with his...

Yeah.. I was thinking with a few subtle styling tweaks, some ace OE wheels, modern engine possibly (maybe passat style W8?), 4Motion, and a nice interior (like the R32 again) then they could have a £30k car.. potentially..

you've hit the nail on the head there, when you writing this in a letter to VW HQ then? gotta be a winner for sure.

They couldn't sell the C as it is now as it would fail the emissions straight away...and it has no airbags.

But if the Corrado was still available today, but updated like all the other Coupes with the appropriate refinements and engines then I possibly might....but most of us are emotionally scarred from the pain and anguish of keeping our 10 year olds on the road, so that may bias the answers somewhat!

As much as I like the idea, I doubt it would be successful and I would not spend that much. Maybe a brand new version with updated but related styling to the original, as with the Beetle and Mini. Now there is a photoshop challenge for someone clever, what would a new version look like??

If I can find some good stock photo's or nice high res ones of an unmodded one, i'd be up for the challenge :D

i wonder if that gold coupe concept will ever come to light?

call it the corrado, keep the styling subtle just like the r32, an updated older model, and slap massive engines/2.0 t lumps in it, nice interior. sell well i reckons

Corradowales, lovin' that avatar! :D

I think an updated, uprated C would sell pretty well tbh. Not in huge numbers, but certainly on a par with the likes of the Alpha V6 coupé and the Fiat thing.

I think aside from the engines, the main thing that would need updating is the interior though. I have several friends that mistake my car for a much newer one, until they get inside and it's kind of like "What do you mean there's no air conditioning? And where's the switch to adjust the seat/lumbar support?"

That said, I personally like the feel of the C's interior. It feels far more solid than any of the Fords, citroens etc I've been in lately. And, I dunno, modern interiors always look a bit "characterless" to me...

Remember the photo that was doing the rounds a few months ago claiming to be the "new" corrado, when in fact it was just a photoshop of varios Corrado/A3/TT bits? I thought that car looked amazing! I'm sure others would agree, hats off to the person that chopped it....

Maybe a brand new version with updated but related styling to the original, as with the Beetle and Mini.

You see that wouldn't work because the Mini and Beetle were massively successful cars, sold in huge volumes, so their relaunches were more of a continuation of a theme than a rebirth.

The Corrado was a total disaster (financially) and it's rebirth would only be appreciated by the likes of us.....who the majority of couldn't afford a brand new one at £28K + anyway!

Yeah, there are loads of photochops and design sketches and stuff floating around the internet. It seems like Autocar have a new one every few months or so. I've certainly seen at least 3 different "new Corrado" drawings...

I find it interesting that even at the massively cheap $19,999 US price for the Corrado VR6 it sold only a handful of cars.. It just didn't have mass appeal. It's too "normal" looking for the boy racers, and it's too impractical for everyone else. The Audi TT has sold like hot cakes cos it looks the part... The mini sold like hot cakes cos of it's history and it happens to be ok.. The Golf sold like hot cakes cos it's practical and reasonably cheap.

The Corrado was always going to be a niche market...

All that said, if VW were building it's successor now, and charging R32+10% prices for it, and it was as well respected by the motoring press as a driver's car as the original one was, and it had similar subtle styling, then maybe, just maybe, I'd reckon it was worth it. But more likely I'd buy a 12 month old car than a brand new one...

Wasn't the corrado VR6 more like £22K -£23K when it was brand new? That would bring it into New Golf GTi territory, and THATS extremely tempting! If I could spend that sort of money on a new car, then my answer would very much be a yes.

But I have to say, I would only want the little niggles sorted out (i.e sunroof, wipers etc), as I would hate to see any major changes to the car. Anythings possible, after all they are still selling the Mk1 Golf in South Africa (allbeit with a Lupo dashboard!)

Wasn't the corrado VR6 more like £22K -£23K when it was brand new?

10-13 years ago yeah....would be around the 28k mark nowadays with inflation! :wink:

Anythings possible, after all they are still selling the Mk1 Golf in South Africa (allbeit with a Lupo dashboard!)

Reeeeeeallly.... interesting :D