Sign in to follow this  
Anton

Back to Standard Height on a VR6

Hi Guys.

I've just bought my VR6 :D . However on meeting my first speed bump, I get an unpleasant scraping noise (:D , I've now got a VR6). This speed bump was crossed many many times in my 1.8. I now realised that my new car has been dramatically lowered. Now that I have had this inspected it seems at sometime in its history someone has fitted some lowering springs. My machanic is not happy with this because they are not making use of the dampers travel? or are loose? or something. I cannot live with this because of the sheer number of speedbumps and the condition of the road around where I live. I am therefore looking for a set of standard height springs or some aftermarket system with will bring my ride height up to standard. I got a price from VW of around £60 per spring + Vat ( :) ,That smile is beginning to fade).

Any advice would be greatfully accepted.

try ECP or GSF, they might do the springs at a better price. If i was you though i'd be looking at replacing the dampers for some shortened ones to accomodate the shorter springs, and going very slowly over speedbumps ;)

£60 per spring is just silly. No wonder people opt for aftermarket suspension and exhausts!

I hear you regarding speed bumps but my car is lowered and I've never had contact when driving up or down from one...and I have the 90mm spoiler!

It's largely because I'm only minus 40mm courtest of some H&Rs and koni dampers (Chris is bang on there btw) which doesn't ruin the ride and keeps the car daily usable, whilst still removing the ridiculous gap from the standard ride height.

mines down 60mm with a 90mm spoiler, i drive over 5 sets of speedbumps to get out of my street every morning and so long as I'm careful it doesnt catch. The only time it does is in multistories, which I avoid anyway most of the time!

Thanks for the quick responce. ECP do not seem to have VR6 springs in the cataloge but GFS have them at Front £42 Back £27 but say its the same as a golf 3! The speed bumps here are extreme (illegal?) but I must admit I mostly catch on the sloping driveways the worst.

I'd suggest you have a look at the dampers at the same time mate, not sure how shorter springs effect them but i cant imgine it doing them much good...might be worth spending a bit more and changing them at the same time along with top mounts and bump stops, that way you'll know for sure your suspension is in tip-top condition and you wont have to strip the struts off twice!

Springs that are too short for the dampers will cause the piston rods to bottom out *before* the bump stop takes affect in some extreme cases.

But the main reason for matching springs to uprated dampers is to ensure the damper can cope with the stiffer spring rate.

If you've got original dampers on the car with lowering springs that's really not going to help matters.

Plus there's the fact that if you're ripping them all out to change the springs it won't make sense to put the old dampers back on it.. New ones aren't too pricey. Around £30/corner + VAT. Springs is a trickier call - there were many variants and you may well be better off getting some used original springs. £60/corner does seem exorbitant!

Anyone know a source for good used springs for a VR, is there a list of breakers anywhere ?

I've got a set of virtually new rear shocks and springs up for grabs. Drop me a PM if you're interested :D

Hi - I changed my suspension when I first got my VR. I think they were from GSF and were fitted by my local exhaust centre. I then decided I wanted it lower so got a Weitec system. The upshot is, I have standard suspension in my shed that was on the car for about 1-2 months - if you're interested. I can check out make etc if you like and we can make a deal if it helps you out. Cheers

Thanks all,

Just for the record the car was lowered 60mm on an inter alloy kit that was in very poor condition. Following a long talk with my Insurance broker (don't laugh) who said, koni / HR, would increase my excess by £150 this part year but was unsure about how it would affect my next quote. I have decided to go back to VW. I am nervous about aftermarket sets after seeing the state of the Interalloy and want my new car sorted quick.

Thanks Again