Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

can i jsut ask is there anyone runnign an un-silenced midpipe with no CAT i.e straight through to the backbox from the manifold?

just wondering how loud it is on the Corrado and whether it will increase or hinder performance for the G60?

also whats the best bore of pipe to go for without losing back pressure?

cheers,

Alex

A VR6 would find 1 or 2hp from a zorst....if that. Vince rollered a VR with a Milltek and there was no gain at all. It's all marketing Horsesh1t.

surely the state of tune of the engine would dictate power liberated by a freer flowing zaust?

ie - how the head had been ported - what kind of duration cams - what state of fettle the inlet manifold/throttle body etc etc

There are lot of things to take into consideration - merely bolting on "anything" has a knock on affect elsewhere - be it positve or negative.

custom built for your car would be the "definitive" way of producing optimum performance.

You can't just slate the marketing - it might of been fine on "their" test car.

I could be wrong - but I could be riight

jat

Ive got a longlife....looks standard...fits perfectly....and provides just enough noise at full throttle bit isnt a deffening drone...£380 fitted...lifetime garentee....id recommend them.

Agreed, really nice burble at idle - quality exhaust

I had this dilema last year and went for a new OE exhaust in the end.

Cost to drop rear axle is negligable, they last a bloody long time, don't clunk at different temps, fit perfectly and are very free-flowing anyway - which is why you don't get much of an increase going aftermarket.

Dutch

My G60 has a full (de-cat) 2 1/2" system, with two silencers, i would say dont have anything less than two! When i first picked it up it was painfully loud, but once it coked up it was much quieter. G60s are always loud.

It does sound gorgeous tho, purrs meaningfully on idle!

Performance wise pick up was much better and went better at top end.

I recently had to change the centre box on my 1.8 16V C. I got an centre box from eurocarparts for £80 and decided to fit it myself as other places were quoting £200 fitted.

When fitting it there seems to be a big difference in diameters for the centre box - end box join and it wont clamp together no matter how tight and yes its slightly blowing.

The manufacturer is Bosal.

I might try and make a sleeve to make the difference in diameter so it clamps/crushes and seals nice.

May be I should not have got for the cheap option but I forked out a lot of money a couple weeks before for a replacement cylinder head as my cam belt stripped when the tensioner siezed!

....but I dont care what "non-believers" say about my C I still love it!!!!

Hey guys, Think i need new exhaust, havn't got a clue where to get one from and who to get to fit it, i live in the south east....

I have a 91 corrado G60

this means i can take the cat off and still pass mots right? thinking of doing a full stainless job with a large single oval end, i want one thats libarating but not so loud that i can't hear the super charger and still mot passable.... i've read these comments but still dunno where to go to have it done or if to do it myself or what to get.... any advice??

cheers

Awesome forum btw!!!

Hi corradorocks, Where abouts in the south east are you? You wont have any probs with your MOT with no CAT :)

Its ok John from JMR is sorting me out a miltek and a de-cat pipe this Friday!! he's going to fit it as well so hopefully there'll be no problems, he said he'd give me a good going over as well!!

err.. I mean he'll look over my car for any othere probs as well.... :lol:

cheers mate!!!

corrado VR6 Slc

S/S exhaust, totally straight thru from bottom of downpipe to backbox, straight thru internals in backbox (power flow) with oval tail pipe.

Custom made by Gates tyres in carlisle, perfect fit.

nice and loud but not crazy Nova or corsa loud, loudest at 2200-3000 RPM, between 3000 and 4500 RPM i get a nice V6 purr that sounds kinda hollow? and after that hell breaks loose, sounds totally awsome and still not stupid loud. if im at high revs and tap the throttle when backing off, i get some nice banging, summit similar to anti lag but obviously not as wild. been known to shoot the odd flame when over taking and changing gear at high revs. sorts out the kiddies in there matchbox cars lol

Ok so as far as I have seen I believe that either a magnex or a supersprint exhaust system is the best for my G60 does anyone know where I can get one that will ship to the United states? I know partsforVWs.com will ship stateside but I want to see a magnex system....

oh and it HAS to be 2.5" anyone Know the size of the supersprint with 2 silencers? and the magnex?

and I need reccomendations for a good cat-bypass cause I have to Cat...

i hear good things about the supersrint decats , i'm getting one this week so i'll let you know :-)

i'll then have a supersprint decat and magnex system

i'm fairly sure http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/ ship worldwide but price check them , they can be pricey sometimes

hth

well at that point the supersprint would be cheaper, this one costs 653 US with shipping where as supersprint is about 600 US with shipping, the definitive question is now "which is better for a G60, Magnex or supersprint?" the better question is which is quieter and has a nicer tone and doesnt break as much?

does anyone have a sound of either the magnex or the supersprint on a G60, I bet they sound great on a VR but I dont want to hear it because it makes me sad to own a g60.

its ok when the RIVO comes out in the US I will own an either R32 or R36 (if they ever make it) with AWD, then I wont be sad and I will have 2 generations =-)

Magnex is full stainless.

Supersprint are hybrids, using mild steel boxes with stainless pipework.

And sound-wise, how do they compare against OE?

Supersprint sound very sensible IMO. You can delete boxes and have link pipes if it is too quiet!!

Gavin

Magnex is full stainless.

Supersprint are hybrids, using mild steel boxes with stainless pipework.

And sound-wise, how do they compare against OE?

Sound wise as stock past 3000 rpm, below that you just get a subtle and meaty burble. The idle has a very purposeful bassy thrum to it too. One of the best exhausts for quality and sound imo.