Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

I think a cat bypass is just a term used for the pipes that replace the cat so it is the same as having the cat removed.

You could just remove all the crap inside the cat and make it a straight through.

If the car comes with a cat in the first place it will need to stay there to get through emissions testing (if J reg/92 and newer) so it's woth getting a sports cat.

If the car comes with a cat in the first place it will need to stay there to get through emissions testing (if J reg/92 and newer) so it's woth getting a sports cat.

Mine was a J 92 G60, passed with no probs on MOT. I think its K reg onwards isnt it?

so what about a December 1992 K reg? :? borderline huh! That's what mine is, you've got me thinking could I replace the cat with a pipe and still pass the emissions?

Hey guys, i've jus taken great pleasure in throwing my old powerflow system in the bin... it knocked, rattled, hit the rear beam constantly and cracked round the welds.

Just installed a milltek and am very impressed!!!!!! :)

It went straight on, no knocks... loadsa rear beam clearance and sounds great, not boomy at all. Theres even a BIG increase in low to midrange grunt! Cant get the grin off my face now :lol:

(the mfa is even showing a better mpg reading!)

so what about a December 1992 K reg? :? borderline huh! That's what mine is, you've got me thinking could I replace the cat with a pipe and still pass the emissions?

yes when you take it for your MOT it the date comes up on the check sheet (vt40) and the tester will do a pre cat test

Alright all!

Had to take off the standard exhaust and refit the milltek as the standard one broke! (Long story! :) )

Am thinking I quite like the car with the milltek back on, goes well, sounds good etc...

...but its just too loud, which is why i took it off on the first place!

I've got a cat replacement pipe, which attaches to a bit of pipe, that goes straight to a small centre box, then another that goes to the back box.

Like this: (Please dont mock my artistic skills!)

TomsExhaust.jpg

So, the question is:

1) Can I get a CAT replacement pipe with a silencer on it, or are they all just 'a bit of pipe'

2) If I can't, can I get a silencer box to replace the bit of pipe?

I was thinking I could go to someone like powerflow, and they could either put 1 box in 1 of the locations (pipe/decat) or both, or a long one covering them both.

Its toooooooooooo loud! :) Any ideas?? :)

Cheers,

Tom

Most custom exhaust companies should be able to build you a silencer for that front pipe section. Or maybe you could even get the OE front box to fit.

Most custom exhaust companies should be able to build you a silencer for that front pipe section. Or maybe you could even get the OE front box to fit.

My standard centre section was the same setup as the milltek (pipe straight from decat to centre box) Are they supposed to have a third box?

the milltec cat replacement pipe has a silencer (mine anyway)

That sounds promising! from your sig I notice you've got a milltek exhaust from the manifold back...how loud is it, and is it the same set up as mine?

Cheers guys! :)

I always was told if a car was produced with a cat them it needed it for the mot, is this not the case? mines a 94 so if i put a decat on i'll have to swap come mot time. But it was definitely a worthwile mod on my old gti, you could really feel the difference!

Also surely putting a silencer in instead of the cat removes one baffle and introduces another, if your aim was to allow the gasses to escape as quicly as possible then surely only the straight through pipe will do it?

I always was told if a car was produced with a cat them it needed it for the mot, is this not the case? mines a 94 so if i put a decat on i'll have to swap come mot time.

Thats what i always thought. K ('93) reg onwards.

Really? Mine didn't for the VR!

Have to say I am not impressed with miltek at all! The replacement pipe was 5" too short - and that was with the pipe extension provided. The quality of the flange welds (the bit that bolts to the down pipe) was really REALLY bad!

And to top it off, at idle not only can you hear the nice VR burbble, it sounds like the car is doing a long gentle wet fart!

Another thing I noted is you can hear the air rushing through the new pipe so it sounds like it is blowing when accelerating. I have checked for leaks 4 times now and there is nothing - no leaks - even when a mate blips the throttle while im underneath checking!

There was a noticeable power gain though but to be honest I think I'm going to search for a much better quality alternative.

Really? Mine didn't for the VR!

Have to say I am not impressed with miltek at all! The replacement pipe was 5" too short - and that was with the pipe extension provided. The quality of the flange welds (the bit that bolts to the down pipe) was really REALLY bad!

And to top it off, at idle not only can you hear the nice VR burbble, it sounds like the car is doing a long gentle wet fart!

Another thing I noted is you can hear the air rushing through the new pipe so it sounds like it is blowing when accelerating. I have checked for leaks 4 times now and there is nothing - no leaks - even when a mate blips the throttle while im underneath checking!

There was a noticeable power gain though but to be honest I think I'm going to search for a much better quality alternative.

funny that my middle pipe on the g60 was about 7" too long and had to cut it down

paul at work fitted a miltec to his vr6 golf it sounds much better and pulls better in mid range and now it has a turbo it sounds even better

im on the look out for a new system for my g60 looking at a powerflow or miltec really not sure with whats been said about the two on this thread? thoughs anyone ?

funny that my middle pipe on the g60 was about 7" too long and had to cut it down

paul at work fitted a miltec to his vr6 golf it sounds much better and pulls better in mid range and now it has a turbo it sounds even better

Interesting!

I'm going to take it all apart again at the weekend and re-fit as the farty noise is driving me mad! Really sounds like a split down pipe or something even though I KNOW it isn't!

Just had a Janspeed S1 fitted to my 16v, they've had a lot of slating on here because the tailpipes not oval, they're too loud etc etc, but i have to say i'm well pleased, it doesnt sound in the slightest boy racerish, the twin pipes fit nicely into the aperture of the rear bumper, and there are no knocking/rattling/rubbing issues. So, for a less expensive system, i'd reccomend it.

Hats off to Midland VW for the quality fit/service. If your near the West Mids area, you really cannot go wrong there.

Free plug to Jody at Midland VW 01543 495700.

I always was told if a car was produced with a cat them it needed it for the mot, is this not the case? mines a 94 so if i put a decat on i'll have to swap come mot time.

Thats what i always thought. K ('93) reg onwards.

In theory yes, if it was made with a CAT it should be tested with the CAT emissions levels, in practice most MOT testers will just go by first registered date and if it has no CAT in the system they'll test it using the non CAT emissions standards.

Just had a Janspeed S1 fitted to my 16v...

Glad it went on OK Matt, I still find mine a bit too noisy at full throttle, but it's done me well.

David.

Just for the record, i am now seriously trying to fund a standard zorst now. The Milltek is just too boomy for me. Looks and sounds great from the outside tho !

Let me know if you get a good deal on a standard exhaust. I'll probably stick with the original when mine eventually decides to give up on me. I'm still on the original at 120k, so another genuine one should see me good for another 10 tears or so which seems to be as long as some stainless ones last for.

I'm going to take it all apart again at the weekend and re-fit as the farty noise is driving me mad! Really sounds like a split down pipe or something even though I KNOW it isn't!

Ok spoke to soon. I got under the car again at the weekend and it looks like there is a small hole in the down pipe. Found a leak at the Lambda on the de-cat pipe too. Managed to cross thread it trying to get it back out... sigh!

So now the pipe has a nice blanking plug in it, no sensor, has no leaks, is no longer short as I managed to get an extension pipe made and have a blowing down pipe.

All was good before fitting the de-cat... I think I should stick with the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" saying!