Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

I've have just read every single post in this tread and im still not sure, I'm wanting a cat back system for a 2ltr 16v 1993,

i now know i Should go magnex or milltek, but which?

I dont like loud noises, and i've seen a miltek for around £300 cat back system.

well now then, thats just silly, i cant afford a tin can!

anyone else a little more sober maybe?

Magnex is full stainless.

Supersprint are hybrids, using mild steel boxes with stainless pipework.

And sound-wise, how do they compare against OE?

Sound wise as stock past 3000 rpm, below that you just get a subtle and meaty burble. The idle has a very purposeful bassy thrum to it too. One of the best exhausts for quality and sound imo.

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for actually. Now which are you talking about, Supersprint or Magnex, or are both about the same for sound?

-Neil-, pretty much average i'd say. I paid £285 for my Longlife with lifetime guarantee and a one-off tailpipe.

And as far as noise is concerned don't worry about it, whoever you choose should be able to tune the exhaust to be as loud or quiet as you want. :)

...If you have it custom made , but i'm not sure that's the case when buying a miltek etc from the shelf.

Also, when I had my Longlife fitted I asked for it to be as quiet as possible and it was certainly alot louder than standard.

Well i'm speaking from experience with Longlife in Plymouth, they were very good. It was custom made as you say, I had the choice of quiet, semi sport or sport; I asked for slightly louder than normal and that was just what I got, infact it just sounds deeper not really louder.

Yeah, I had the choice and opted for the 'quiet' one, but still found that it was quite a bit louder than standard.

Bloody good exhaust and fitment though, and a curtousy car too! :D

Just got a Magnex fitted on Friday at Drivers Glasgow (Charing Cross). Well pleased with the result. Great fit. No clunks at all (which is a novelty!). I was surprised with just how quiet it was but my old OEM exhaust was pretty gubbed anyway. Cost was £397.

gah I wish they sold magnex or some GOOD exhaust for corrado's over here, all we have is borla or flowmaster or something crappy -.- stupid americans.

gah I wish they sold magnex or some GOOD exhaust for corrado's over here, all we have is borla or flowmaster or something crappy -.- stupid americans.

No offense, but that is one of the lamest things I've heard. There are plenty of American companies that distribute European manufactured exhausts.

You only listed Techtonics...they are not the only ones in the US that sells exhaust systems.

Supersprint

Remus

Scorpion

Sebring

All european companies, all sold here in the states. AFAIK Magnex has no distributor in the states, but you can find an exhaust just as good, if not better here.

Can you give me a good reason why you think the Techtonics with the Borla sucks? I had one on my VR6 with no problems. Its an excellent deal for the price.

American companies:

Neuspeed

Eurosport

Techtonics

In which all make a good product.

Im just not going to reply to that, you mentioned companies that dont even make full systems for corrados.

BTW when YOU decide to run 18 psi constantly, let me know which exhaust system doesnt break for you, not to mention the 27 psi that I am about to run with the new supercharger.

I need a straight through 2.5" at least stainless steel, the exhaust box has to go stright through, so does the resonator. Ive been through too many systems to know that 18 psi and aluminized systems dont work,they pop

Lol...its because you can't answer. Supersprint and Scorpion do have a FULL cat back. Their mufflers are straight through.

Techtonics makes a FULL 2.5 inch catback exhaust in stainless and aluminized, with a stainless straight through Borla muffler. What aftermarket company dosen't have a straight through resonator? Why would aluminized piping pop?

Good luck with your charger. :)

I do have an answer and its that supersprint's have had problems, and they are heavy, looked for a scorpion and found nothing,

I popped the techtonics muffler, multiple times, the piping welds also broke because they couldnt hadle the heat. although it was their 2.25" system it still should not have popped, especially as many times as it did, I dont have a cat... so the flames that I shoot dont get stopped they keep going.... yes I am running rich.

I do have an answer and its that supersprint's have had problems, and they are heavy, looked for a scorpion and found nothing,

I popped the techtonics muffler, multiple times, the piping welds also broke because they couldnt hadle the heat. although it was their 2.25" system it still should not have popped, especially as many times as it did, I dont have a cat... so the flames that I shoot dont get stopped they keep going.... yes I am running rich.

Funny...I had a Supersprint too...they are heavy, but constructed very well.

Had a Techtonics too...no problems there. They have a 2.25 and a 2.5 for both Corrado models. I highly doubt it broke because it couldn't "handle" the heat...lol...did it melt the welds? People are using these exhausts on 300+ HP VRt's...I don't think your G60 can generate the heat to break the welds.

1000-1200 degrees F, depending on the heat of the day, the new one should put out 1200-1400, melted the welds before, just one of them though.

there is a strange one with exhausts i have a powerflow and i love it fits perfecly never been a problem just entering its 5th year of abuse, a few guys have hhad them fall apart and all sorts of problems!

1000-1200 degrees F, depending on the heat of the day, the new one should put out 1200-1400, melted the welds before, just one of them though.

200 degress more and your pistons would melt. 1600 is max safe temp for the EGT before melting your pistons. If the temp is too high..it usually means your running lean. Where do you get you info from?

A free-er flowing exhaust is supposed to lower your EGT, not raise it.

yeah I know, at that time I was running a little lean explains the melting., 2 sources, 1 laser temp probe and 1 pyrometer on the exhaust.

Ive sorted what I am going to do, I am getting a custom stainless system made, I got the piping in 2.5" I just need the resonator and muffler, got to talk my friend into welding the pipe now haha.

potatonet, I had the same problem with a custom exhaust i had (powerflow) coudn't handle the heat at all. silly fitters put a muffler box on where i had the cat and the car proceeded to melt it! I had massive flames coming out at one stage :D

After that I had problems with my crank and timing and was shoting flames about 2 ft out the back. Was a neat trick and I could do it at certain revs.

Lets say tail gating BMWs didn't raise to the challenge.