Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

i need a silencer in mine to retreive 1 psi of boost if i got a supersprint backbox woul it be a good idea to get a 2nd hand middle silencer??

HI folkes! I have a 1990 1.8 16v Raddo. I quite fancy a miltek system. I dont think mine has a cat! If I was to purchase a cat back system how would it fit? I am thinking miltek as my gf had one on her sportline cabby and it sounded amazing. Do I need the cat replacement pip even if I dont have a cat???? What would my exhaust attach too?

well i got the 6 branch gasket fixed and the car is queiter than its ever been!

sounds great at low revs lovely warble + charger whistle iv got my mid range grunt back woohoo but the thing im a bit dissapointeed by is how quite it is over 4k at wot :( you can only really hear the charger chucking air in it doesn roar like it used to :( :( it mustve been blowing a bit from when i had it i may even have retreived the lost boost if im lucky

Just had a Janspeed S1 fitted to my 16v, they've had a lot of slating on here because the tailpipes not oval, they're too loud etc etc, but i have to say i'm well pleased, it doesnt sound in the slightest boy racerish, the twin pipes fit nicely into the aperture of the rear bumper, and there are no knocking/rattling/rubbing issues. So, for a less expensive system, i'd reccomend it.

Hats off to Midland VW for the quality fit/service. If your near the West Mids area, you really cannot go wrong there.

Free plug to Jody at Midland VW 01543 495700.

« mattnorgrove » wrote:

Just had a Janspeed S1 fitted to my 16v...

Glad it went on OK Matt, I still find mine a bit too noisy at full throttle, but it's done me well.

David.

i`ve also got this fitted to mine ( smaller DTM style) is there any problem fitting a different backbox to the rest of the system as i`m not keen (but dont Really mind) the DTM style?

what diameter is the janpeed syatem compared to other systems, say supersprint or magnex oval/round in order to get it to match up?

Still got the original OE exhaust on my VR6 - it has never been changed from new (10+ years and 118k miles).

The mid box is just starting to blow now, so I need to decide what to change it for. I've always felt that the car could do with a bit more of a burble at low revs.

When you consider what TVR were able to do on the S with the old Ford Colgne V6 (as found in the Granada) it makes you wonder what could be achieved on the VR6 too.

Just for the record, i am now seriously trying to fund a standard zorst now. The Milltek is just too boomy for me. Looks and sounds great from the outside tho !

Really? That doesn't bode too well, especially given you have a Chimaera 500.

(PS. me too. :))

Ah but that doesn't count as anything that makes an already beefy sounding V8 even beefier is cool in my book! The Milltek on the VR just makes a nasty drone at 70mph when it's hot...not pleasant.

I love the V8 burble of my TVR, and I know what TVR achieved with the V6 in the old 'S' (as I mentioned earlier), so I would very much like to liberate a little burble from the VR6.

I don't like the idea of a droney sound though. :(

Burble at idle is one thing, but it's flow damping at high revs you really need...

Stainless always resonates more than mild steel, just how it is.

I've got my C booked in with Vince for Sat 20th and he'll hold on to it for a week or two until I can get back up there on another Sat to pick it up.

I'd quite like to make a decision on what exhaust to go for (even if that decision is to replace the blowing mid-box with stock) before then, so suggestions gratefully received.

I love the V8 burble of my TVR, and I know what TVR achieved with the V6 in the old 'S' (as I mentioned earlier), so I would very much like to liberate a little burble from the VR6.

I don't like the idea of a droney sound though. :(

get a 6 branch exhaust manifold and heatwrap it. makes a lovely burble especially at 1200 and 3000 rpm :D

The Chim zorst is meaty all the way through with no boomy / resonate bits ( its also got no pre or main cats and a fat bespoke manifold :lol: ).

The odd thing about the Milltek is that it often produces a low frequency very close to my sub rumble, and the two phase in and out at several speeds. One of the reasons i tried to soundproof the Raddo was because i liked it quiet. Was great with the standard but when i replaced it with the Miltek, i can hear it again !

TBH some people will like the sound that a ss zorst will give, and as i say its great from outside, but its just not what i was wanting.

Miltek stainless kit with oval tail pipe from AmD in Bicester..was on the car when I bought it..There's a knock coming from it when I have passengers so i think its in contact with the rear axle??..

Solution??.....i presume dont have passengers in future!!!??

latestarter2,

I have the same problem with the same exhaust fitted by the same people on my VR. I have had it adjusted several times, but the knocking comes back eventually. The best and most recent improvement was as a result of uprating the rear exhaust hangar - I can't find reference to which one was used on the last invoice, Vince fitted it so you could ask him what he suggests. Or anyone else on here might suggest an improvement.

I'm thinking about replacing my Milltek Zorst with something more 'Stealthy', my VR's not a daily driver but the noise at speed is starting to bug me now when i do take it out, can anyone recommend a good Supersprint dealer?

Hello people this is my first, i am writing from Bosnia so be gentle towards my english skillZ :oops:

I own '92 Corrado VR6 unmoded except K&N cone air filter.

Previous owner did a de-cat (straight pipe now there) and made some very bad DIY piping with Remus muffler at the end (no resonators at all - loud as hell) , but everything has rusted off by now...

After reading all the pages on this topic i still cant decide what exhaust system to buy.

I am aiming at lowering weight with as much hp/lbs gain as possible. Sound is not so important, just not to be extremely loud.

I assume stainless system would weight less compared to mild steel, and im thinking about 2.5" cat-back exhaust with one resonator and one (rear) muffler - could be good selection..?

I have various options to buy since i live in Bosnia and there's no distributor of any of brands you guys have, so i got to make an international order via some webshops...

I have options to buy cat-back systems from Neuspeed, Techtonics, Milltek, Magnex, Supersprint, Jetex, and various German brands like Hartmann Motorsports, Remus, Bastuck etc...

So, what would you buy considering the rules : stainless, weight reducing and power gaining ? Which system could be most free-flowing?

I am thinking about Techtonics stainless with Borla muffler - but i also contemplate about Supersprint systems (though they are heavy and not 100% stainless), considering they are based in Italy so in my case shipping could be much lower ...

Thanks.

I've had a Magnex fitted for a couple of weeks now and really happy with it. Quality looked really good and fitted perfectly. There's not much difference in noise, just a little extra burble when sticking your foot down but quiet when cruising on the motorway. Spot on IMO!

Well I've just picked up a 2nd hand Supersprint off the Bay of Fleas.

Only after giving it a good wire brushing prior to a fresh coat of paint I noticed there were a couple of rust holes, one on each box underneath the stainless plates which give the model no. etc. Looked like water had trapped between the plate and outer casing.

Anyway, a spot of welding (a couple of rectangle patches) and £20 later they look as good as new.

Looking fwd to fitting it this weekrnd

Ehm, it seems i cant find anywhere pics of Milltek and Magnex exhaust systems. How does they look from cat-back when installed?

With regard to your wish to see pics of the Milltek system fitted you could view the Milltek web site http://www.millteksport.com

I am a listed supplier of Milltek systems and would be happy to assist you with any enquiry, or indeed offer you a quote to supply and fit a system for your Corrado.

With regard to your wish to see pics of the Milltek system fitted you could view the Milltek web site http://www.millteksport.com

I am a listed supplier of Milltek systems and would be happy to assist you with any enquiry, or indeed offer you a quote to supply and fit a system for your Corrado.

He is in Bosnia.

Have you also moved out there as i haven't seen you much on the forum recently?

I have a full Hartmann stainless system with the bikat headers, superb fit and sound, also a nice power hike. All in all i`m very happy about it allthoug its kind of expencive