Sign in to follow this  
gplace

potentiometer g60

I have a corrado g60 that I took to a vw dealer recently. They told me that the potentiometer was knackered and needed replacing.

Does anyone - know what it does?

- Where to get one from other than vw

- and how much they should cost ( vw want £800 !!! :mad:

Anyone able to help me PLEASE?

Thanks guys and gals....

I'd say they are talking cobblers. The only thing under the bonnet that costs anywhere near that money is the charger.

What is up with your car? Give us the symptoms and we'll give you some ideas.

Gavin

hey billinjahg60, ..you dont know anywhere i can get a cheap potentiometer from do you mate?

im sure the £800 is a a s*it its an old vw lets get rid of him ploy so we can service 15 polo's in the same time!

vw service living up to there good name . all i can say about them they wanted 110 euros to fit new spark plugs for me!!!!

which vw said this to you mate?

First off, I would like to thank so many of you for your advice, it is much appreciated.

I did smell a rat when they told me the price, but I could not find anywhere on the net that sold one...

The dealership in question was Motorline Volkswagen in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. A fairly new dealership with all kinds of different apes working there by the sounds of it! :evil:

They also told me that the supercharger had it too, but since it is losing power that is a possibility. I am considering taking it to Jabbasport for a stage 4 job. Any suggestions there?

Once again thanks all, and avoid Motorline if possible... :)

gplace, don't take it to Jabba sport, there's all sorts of horror stories about their work on G60s recently. The place to take 'em now is G-Werks... Contact G-man on this forum for details (he's away at Le-Mans at the moment though ;) )

Just bought a G60, so just wanted to know... How would you know if the potentiometer has gone bad??

thx

Measure it's resistance and make sure that it chnages when you rotate the adjuster. Go across pins 1 and 3 with the meter.

Gavin

The c/o pot's should be around £70 from your dealer ...

To check there working you need a multi meter..

First check > in ohms put probes across pins 1 + 3 and check resistence this should be set anywhere between 450-750 ohms... they have a limit of 2000k ohms so if you getting a reading of over that its dead.

Second check > across pins 1+ 2 again you are looking for a resistence across these pins, if the temp side of the pot is dead you will see NO resistence on pins 1+2 again dead.

Hope this Helps

the temp sensor reading is taken across pins 2 and 3. The reading between 1 and 2 is the sum of the 2 resistances.

I was just testing my temp sensor. I put it in the fridge and got a reading of 4.25k Ohms, then blew a hair dryer at it, and watched the resistance fall to 1.5k ohms. It would be good if you could confirm your figures for these conditions, then we can be sure they are both working in the same range.

Well dragging an oldy up here. The car will be fired up in the morning. 1st time since New year. Just woiting for my supercharger oil line from the man of G.

I fitted an SNS 5.5 chip, Dubcharger told me if I don't have a gas analyzer at hand to re-tune the Co pot to about 450 ohms. Is this at tickover???

So I need a meter to do this? What is the procedure? Is the car running or what. Details please never done this before...

Thanks all.

Call me in the morning and we can go through this procedure whilst your under the bonnet.