Sign in to follow this  
Brando

0-60 times

A couple of sites have the 2l 16v down as 8.5 -> 60 is that about right??

Parkers has it at 9.3 and my friends newish 318 coupe as 9.2 and his car gets owned by the Corrado and in all honesty he is prolly the better driver.

thanks in advance,

Olly :evil:

not had a valve but if its similar to G60 on gearing then this is what i think

id guess at late 7 early 8 for a std car.

probly a second less for non std.

tis the gearing. need 3 to get to 60 and 1st is awful.

probly better from a second gear start.

take him on from 50 n see what happens.

a metro GTi will stick with a G60 till 50 ish after that they look like the 2 different cars they are.

See the following link for times.

0-60

Dont take manfactures times as gospel they cover alot things up with the times. (ie the hidden stroy between the 16v and G60 times :twisted: )

but thats another story :!: :!: :!:

I never really found my 2.0 16v to be THAT quick to 60 as its quite a weighty car.. I was always more impressed that it could plough from 70 to well over 120 with relative ease, where the smaller more nippy cars would really start to run out of breath by about 90MPH :)

I never really found my 2.0 16v to be THAT quick to 60 as its quite a weighty car.. I was always more impressed that it could plough from 70 to well over 120 with relative ease, where the smaller more nippy cars would really start to run out of breath by about 90MPH :)

...or do it up an incline and round a corner, that soon sorts them out too!

...mind you having seen first hand what Andi's VR did up a hill... :shock:

...I want one... :p

DtM.

...mind you having seen first hand what Andi's VR did up a hill... :shock:

...I want one... :p

And that was with 3 people in the car. When you're on your own, it's even more fun! Just no-one to show it off to... I'll take you out for a spin on the motorway one day... ;)

Just fixed my water temp guage and now have verrry cold aircon working too! :D

I'll take you out for a spin on the motorway one day... ;)

Just fixed my water temp guage and now have verrry cold aircon working too! :D

yes please, great news & I saw you got that fixed - ya' bar steward...

:mrgreen:

fastest 0-60 in a G60 is with a launch from 2nd as someone mentioned. if the 16v gearing is the same as a G60 (can't make 60mph without going to 3rd gear... although you valvers do have a higher redline) then launch from second.

The Corrado user manual states 9.3 to 60 for the 2.0 valver, which is where parkers obviously got it from. 6.9 for the VR and 8.5 for the G60 if it's of any interest.

0-60 is just pub talk anyway, has no real meaning in the real world. In gear acceleration times give a more accurate picture of a car's accelerative power.

Kev

well said I know from driving the G40 the 0-60 is never really improved with mods because it just spins up so first gear on my car is just a waist of time, so when someone asks me the 0-60 time I always say it's not that important. The best bit is like you all say in gear acceleration.

Another point raised with the fact that cars get slower as the load increases which is so true but the VR I assume would be good being a bigger engine etc Thats the problem with mine if I want to show it off I always take only one extra person cos it is still a 1.3 so under load it's not as good by far.

When I race bigger cars i.e. BMW's I try and do it up a hill cos they always think they have the advantage but then get a shock it's great.

You must have really demolished a few cars with your G40.. small car like that with around 180BHP? Whats the most powerful car you have ever humbled with it? :)

Another point raised with the fact that cars get slower as the load increases which is so true but the VR I assume would be good being a bigger engine etc Thats the problem with mine if I want to show it off I always take only one extra person cos it is still a 1.3 so under load it's not as good by far.

Don't they just. Yeah the VR is good at high speeds and can haul it's lardy arse up to 145mph, given enough room. The gear ratios are well suited to the VR's torque. A shorter ratio box would give the engine more urgency though.

Kev

I'll second that observation. 0-30 the VR isn't really very good. It's way too heavy, but once you're moving and you're going for it there's not a lot that'll stick with it.

Let's face it, from 50mph+, a VR will leave a Lotus Elise looking like .. erm .. a 1.8..!

I was playing the other day and did a 30-90 sprint up a hill with three big blokes and a boot full of beer ( :-) ) in the car in less than 400 yards. Didn't have a stopwatch. The lads were impressed, anyway.. :-)

I mean, I *do* notice the difference with e.g. a full tank of fuel or extra passengers, but it has such big balls in the first place that it's still impressive even fully laden.. ;-)

On the subject of humbling,

I had a play this evening with a TypeR Civic on the way back from Newcastle airport.

He had his mate in the car with him and must have said something like "watch this" and his mate, i imagine must have said "watch what? that VR6 is pissing on you"!

By the time 120mph came up he flashed me as I was getting smaller infront of him so I dropped back to 70mph and pulled into the left lane and he waved as he went by, nice to see the spirit is still alive.

So yes, I agree the VR's mid torque is strong and builds and builds but 4000rpm even with a charger on is still the magic number isn't that right PaulG40?

Chris

I had a play this evening with a TypeR Civic on the way back from Newcastle airport.

He had his mate in the car with him and must have said something like "watch this" and his mate, i imagine must have said "watch what? that VR6 is p***ing on you"!

By the time 120mph came up he flashed me as I was getting smaller infront of him so I dropped back to 70mph and pulled into the left lane and he waved as he went by, nice to see the spirit is still alive.

So yes, I agree the VR's mid torque is strong and builds and builds but 4000rpm even with a charger on is still the magic number isn't that right PaulG40?Chris

Blimey, I've driven a Type R and you need a lot of power to leave one so convincingly! They only weigh around 1100Kg and have good engine response in the vtec zone. Not much happens below 5000rpm though.

With all the VWs I've driven, they all respond best at 4K! Except the diesels. They must come on the cam at that rpm.

Kev

I'll second that observation. 0-30 the VR isn't really very good. It's way too heavy,

I don't think it's so much the weight that's the problem, but more a characteristic of the engine. A MK2 16V weighs 1040Kg and that is equally unresponsive off the cam.

Let's face it, from 50mph+, a VR will leave a Lotus Elise looking like .. erm .. a 1.8..!

I remember reading an article about the Corrado VR6 when it was first launched and it's incremental acceleration times matched a Porsche 911's (non turbo) at the time. The old VR can really stomp the tarmac when it wants to.

Kev

He had his mate in the car with him and must have said something like "watch this" and his mate, i imagine must have said "watch what? that VR6 is p***ing on you"!

So yes, I agree the VR's mid torque is strong and builds and builds but 4000rpm even with a charger on is still the magic number isn't that right PaulG40?Chris

Blimey, I've driven a Type R and you need a lot of power to leave one so convincingly! They only weigh around 1100Kg and have good engine response in the vtec zone. Not much happens below 5000rpm though.

With all the VWs I've driven, they all respond best at 4K! Except the diesels. They must come on the cam at that rpm.

Kev

Well I have had mine up against Type R too from standing start on the M602 (where the traffic lights start) - it was door to door till 65mph then I pulled away from it at a rapid rate... by the time I was at over 100mph the civic was way back!!! :D :lol:

Well I have had mine up against Type R too from standing start on the M602 (where the traffic lights start) - it was door to door till 65mph then I pulled away from it at a rapid rate... by the time I was at over 100mph the civic was way back!!! :D :lol:

That's very impressive because Type Rs are in the low to mid 6's for the 0-60, and it also beat the Clio 172 as the ultimate hot hatch, so fair dos, you're doing well to beat one. Then again, when I drove the Silver example, I could feel it was only quick because of the stupidly short gear ratios.

It was quite amusing actually, the sales rep said enthusiastically "floor it at 5000rpm and hang on"....I did and, errr, where's the extra power? I just said "Yeah it's really great "

Awesome handling tho....

Kev

I thought it was 6.7 to 60mph for the Type R ? - against 6.4 for the VR6 ?

I was surprised too mate.... and to top it I also had a passenger (my mate) and the Type R didnt.... I expected to get beaten till I hit third gear but I was ahead all the time.... and like said by the time I got to 100mph it was way back... my mate was laughing his head off... I slowed down then and about 10 secs later the guy comes flying past me at about 120mph - too little too late me thinks :lol: :lol:

But its like some people mention - it can be down to the driver and without being big headed Im better than your 'average' driver ...... :)

the type R ant that quick i can kill them i can do 0 to 60 in 6.1 spining thow 1st and 2 i raced a type r and he was not a happy at all :lol: even a standerd coseis has a big prob :lol:

I don't like to get too involved with the "MAX POWER" 0-60 tests although my car has been clocked at 6.2 under peak conditions (driver only, low fuel, dry roads etc) and I have lately had 153mph at just over 6000rpm (160+ is very possible) but the great thing about the corrado VR6 is its effortless and almost seemingless torque at motorway speeds. I take great pleasure in completely destroying most cars at 80-90 onwards! Although a long drive back from the Lake District with a Mercedes 500SL clinging to my tail up to speeds of 140mph was slightly irritating!

Just to brag a little my "weekend victories" have included Audi TT's, Porsche Boxter's and Sierra Cosworth's amongst others.

The only car that actually looked as if it was pulling away from me so far was a new BMW M3, and I don't mind that!!

For some reason I have never had a Subaru Impreza (any model) try it on, maybe they believe I'm no competition?

A couple of sites have the 2l 16v down as 8.5 -> 60 is that about right??

Parkers has it at 9.3 and my friends newish 318 coupe as 9.2 and his car gets owned by the Corrado and in all honesty he is prolly the better driver.

thanks in advance,

Olly :evil:

Olly

I think I must have looked at all the sites you have as I was very unsure about how quick the 2 litre C is. When I got mine I put it up against my old Golf 8v GTi Mk 2 which has kent cams and a k&n and not forgetting a 1200 quid engine rebuild about 4000 miles ago. I was very suprised when I eased away from it as the 0-60 for the stock standard golf 8v is around the high 8's - 9 . With the cams etc I would have though this was a bit lower so I would say around the low to mid 8's. Problem for both of us was that we had both had to change to third in the 50's which slows down the 0-60 time. Its def not 10.3 though which I have seen written somewhere.

Later

Buz

VW always have been conservative with the performance figures. They probably don't want customers stop-watching their cars and complaining!

Kev