Sign in to follow this  
stooby doo

Removing Engine Oil / De-greaser

Does anyone know of a product to remove engine oil from the engine block?

I have an oil leak that I want to trace but obviously I need to clean the engine first.

I remember using something years ago that I got from a mechanic friend but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Also, if you know of a supplier, preferably with an online shop, that would be great.

Does anyone know of a product to remove engine oil from the engine block?

I have an oil leak that I want to trace but obviously I need to clean the engine first.

I remember using something years ago that I got from a mechanic friend but can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Also, if you know of a supplier, preferably with an online shop, that would be great.

try Bio washing machine liquid.

David.

bought some gunk

Don't let it dribble into your alternator or any moving parts - from experience I can tell you it will hurt!

TBH, its just as easy spraying any wiping with WD40. You dont need to have it totally degreased to locate an oil leak.

fla said;

TBH, its just as easy spraying any wiping with WD40. You dont need to have it totally degreased to locate an oil leak

Too true - keep it simple.

Ok, take a look at your avatar and tell me you're 100% sane...!

What's wrong with the "not Henry" avatar?!? Anyway, did I ever claim I was sane?!? Look at my post count and it'll show you there's something not quite right with my head... ;) :lol: :oops:

WD40 is the easyiest, Gunk is great (but if you have a tarmac drive wash it down well as any gunk will start eating it!) Washing up liquid I thought was a no go as it has salt in it and hence is corrosive.

WD40 is the easyiest, Gunk is great (but if you have a tarmac drive wash it down well as any gunk will start eating it!) Washing up liquid I thought was a no go as it has salt in it and hence is corrosive.

Washing machine liquid, not washing up liquid (that's useless), and in any case you wash it off so why would any salt be a problem :?:

Petrol is pretty good too, now that really will eat your tarmac drive.

Puzzles me a bit why people will spend so much an 'special' products when most are petroleum based or detergent based anyway, are they not :?

David.

Puzzles me a bit why people will spend so much an 'special' products when most are petroleum based or detergent based anyway, are they not

Good point David.

I have always had a good stock of paraffin, white spirit, IPA, etc about the place and they can do plenty.

Still a mug when it comes to buying "special products", though. :oops:

I have come to the conclusion after over 30 years that we are never happy unless we are spending money on our cars. Must be some kind of obsessional compulsive disorder. :mad: