Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

P.A.S Pump Changing In Remedial Terms.>>OR NOT MAYBE&g

Bonjour.

I have a little dilema....again.

My pump of power steering goodness has decided it's had enough, so i am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of my replacement part (( from VEEDUBBED)) .

However, my car is booked in on Wednesday to be painted (( :-P )) and i'm a bit stuck with regards to having the pump put on before that as my mechanic dude has selfishly gone on holiday :roll: (( and my mums's not finished building a wall for me in my back garden so i dont want to stop her progress on that, :wink: )).....so im left with the choice to either try and drive my tank-like car with no PAS to a garage (( at least 6-7m )) ...or to have a go myself......

So, is this a job that's easy to do ?...my mate reckons its not quite so easy on a G60 as it is on other cars because the chargers in the way so the pump is placed in a difficult position, I would be trying this on the road outside my house with a trolly jack.....whats the recommendation?...should i just drive it tank-style to a garage or is it do-abe?

fank ooh

lol....having never even seen a PAS pump before gav....i was looking for a bit more of a comprehensive explination....although your comment is as gratfully recieved as all of your help always is!.. :D

It should be a piece of pi$$ mate really. Jack up and remove the front wheel. Axle stands or something substantial under the car!!

If the new one hasn't got a pulley on it then crack the 3 allen bolts on that before slackening the belt off. Maybe tighten the belt to help stop it moving. Wacking the allen key rather than putting increasing pressure on it will undo them easier.

After that you need to undo 3 or 4 13 mm bolts that hold it onto the bracket.

Undo the hose connections and drop the fluid into a contanier so you can re-use it if you are a tight git like me.

Re-fit is reverse of removal......................

EASY

cheers Gav....the new one is coming with the bracket and pulley....and ive got a new PAS belt too....ill give it a go.

Probably easier to leave your bracket on the car and just swap pumps. You'll see where the bolts are when you have something to compare to.

Gavin

i removed the pump tother day to replace the thermostat.

didnt even have to take the wheel off 8)

i removed the whole bracket,that way you dont have to alter the belt to get it off (my tension bolt was seized anyway :roll: )

2 x 13mm at rear of engine,

2 x 13mm going up into the engine block/sump,

one 8mm? allen bolt facing across to passenger side,

one 13mm bolt facing across to drivers side,hidden above the piping.

the 8mm allen bolt can end up getting stuck if you use a ratchet bit like i did,so remove the ratchet and use a 7mm spanner on the allen bit.

after all that theres probably an easier way!

neil. :)

Don't understand Dave.

If you are thinking of moving there's no rush for the wall so your Mum could easily have replaced the pump for you and probably still had time to make your tea. :fadein:

Don't understand Dave.

If you are thinking of moving there's no rush for the wall so your Mum could easily have replaced the pump for you and probably still had time to make your tea. :fadein:

That sounds a bit Spoilt Ba$tard from VIZ to me.

'Is there a more expensive one?'

'Yes there is the YXZ one which costs twice as much'

'Good then I'll have that then, pay the man stop dawdling you old bat.'

:mrgreen:

Gavin

Hi Dave,the pump should be there max tuesday,it depends mostly on the Italian side of things,as usual,anyway, a few things to watch out for,the two bolts holding the pump to the alloy bracket(posted wirh pump) are bastids to re-fit,not so much the lower 1 as the 1 thats inside the flanged bit,fit the pump and alloy bracket at the same time otherwise you'll be swearing..,no need to remove pully,carefull when you tighten the short and long retaining bolts that hold the alloy bracket to the engine block,the block mounting lugs have been known to snap.

Have a go yourself and let me know the the result,remember to prime the pump with Vw's hyd oil,good luck.

grrrr...no pump avec le post this morning, looks like im taking the car for paint with no PAS!..... :?

cheers dude...the panicks over now that the pump hasnt arrived in time for the paintshop....im hoping it will arrive for friday when i pick the car up...ill put it on straight away then.

Just a thought Dave,

I'm assuming yours will be dry when you get it back.

The good book states: "Replacement pumps must be filled with hydraulic oil and turned by hand several times before installing. Failure to prime the pump before use may cause excessive noise in operation or damage"

Please ignore this if you knew :)

and try and get a set of axle stands or ramps as working under it while its only supported by a trolley jack is a bit risky unless you want to end up looking like sloth from the goonies :lol:

Ok...weird.

I just nipped into the city centre to pick up my g/f...and halfway through the journey ...as if by magic...my PAS reapeared.........

suggestions????

EDIT--and cheers for the hints 2CC and coolrado!!

or do what i did on my way home after buying some new wheels stop and buy a bottle of vodka and a bottle tequilla! oh you mean the pas probably a blockage in the system or one hell of an airlock?

hmmm..how do i get rid of an airlock then Bill?..or have i already??...also...when i was parking..it was squeeling like a pig...the car that is ....ive got a new belt to go on.....

iirc you take the cap off turn it full lock either way for a couple of minutes each way and keep it topped up whilst you do it, have you checkedyour level? if its gone down a bit it could have been an airlock in which case top it up and smile!!