Sign in to follow this  
_Monkey

Monkeys IHI G60

Quite new to the forum, so i thought i'd tell the tale of my raddo;

a year ago, after trashing a mint mk2 golf, i looked at my finances and decided i could afford a raddo! Ended up buying a j plate g60 with mild mods (grill spoiler, tsw evo r's). first thing i done was put a set of FK coilovers (the cheap ones!) which work really well. However soon after that, i decided to try my luck at castle coombe, which went really well... until my second lap when the gear box went bang

:(

i could only find 3rd and 4th, so i carried on for a second session! :wink:

One TDi box later and everything went fine, until rebuild time came in feb this year up at jabbasport, it turns out that the charger had been bodged with titanium putty! :cry:

So one new charger, induction kit and a lot of porting and polishing later, i was running again... for 30 days when the charger went bang! :cry: :cry:

Back to jabba where it turns out that the oil pump had been bodged with silicone sealant and had run the charger dry! Really not liking the prevous owner at this point. So i agreed to let jabba keep my car for 3 1/2 months while they used it to develop their IHI turbo kit. Now it produces 215bhp and the torque is around 240 at only 11psi. The car has the potential for 300bhp and i havn't looked back! But i do miss that charger whine! :wink: :wink: :(

I'd like to no how much too.. would love to see the car too.. see what its sounds like & goes like....

I asume the internals have been modded for a turbo etc etc...

I got it a bit cheaper, but i think the kits go for around £1750 ish. Not sure which turbo, but it's the same jabba use on their mk4 upgrades. I think it's actually a subaru turbo. If you wanna see the car, it'll be on the jabbasport stand up at donnington this weekend. If it's dry, i'll take her out too. But she went well at castle coombe on the weekend. :wink:

not sure, heard good things about E38, when/where is it?

p.s. internals didn't need modification, g60 already low comp, so it was just plug and play! :?

not sure, heard good things about E38, when/where is it?

p.s. internals didn't need modification, g60 already low comp, so it was just plug and play! :?

its one of the best UK show if you ask me.. :D

check the link http://www.edition38.com/theshow.php

cool.. saved you abit on getting low comp bottom end etc.. 8)

nice one :D

I believe you can turbo a G60 (has been done many, many times by loads of people, esp. in the states, try vwvortex.com for loads of info.) with parts from donor cars e.g Saab, Volvo, Nissan, Ford etc. for about £500-£1000 (I'm sure that VEEDUBBED will back me up on this one), pretty cost-effective when you consider the prices of new kits £1750-£2500 and the price of a new / recon. charger (£650-£1250). Also will make more power as standard than chipped and pullied etc. G60. Just get used to the turbo lag and start missing the whine of the G60 charger !!

Good point timmeh, no to mention that the charger is starting to get a bit of a rare beast nowadays, that, and you don't have to overhaul a turbo every 40-60k! :wink:

I've been running it for about a month, and it seems the only drawback is the lack of charger noise.

Damn i miss that whine!!!! :cry:

Quite new to the forum, so i thought i'd tell the tale of my raddo;

a year ago, after trashing a mint mk2 golf, i looked at my finances and decided i could afford a raddo! Ended up buying a j plate g60 with mild mods (grill spoiler, tsw evo r's). first thing i done was put a set of FK coilovers (the cheap ones!) which work really well. However soon after that, i decided to try my luck at castle coombe, which went really well... until my second lap when the gear box went bang

:(

i could only find 3rd and 4th, so i carried on for a second session! :wink:

One TDi box later and everything went fine, until rebuild time came in feb this year up at jabbasport, it turns out that the charger had been bodged with titanium putty! :cry:

So one new charger, induction kit and a lot of porting and polishing later, i was running again... for 30 days when the charger went bang! :cry: :cry:

Back to jabba where it turns out that the oil pump had been bodged with silicone sealant and had run the charger dry! Really not liking the prevous owner at this point. So i agreed to let jabba keep my car for 3 1/2 months while they used it to develop their IHI turbo kit. Now it produces 215bhp and the torque is around 240 at only 11psi. The car has the potential for 300bhp and i havn't looked back! But i do miss that charger whine! :wink: :wink:

Welcome to the forum matey, I've seen your Corrado up at Jabba's I think.. Mine is going in on Monday for mapping... at last!! Hows the IHI :wink: :)

I got it a bit cheaper, but i think the kits go for around £1750 ish. Not sure which turbo, but it's the same jabba use on their mk4 upgrades. I think it's actually a subaru turbo. If you wanna see the car, it'll be on the jabbasport stand up at donnington this weekend. If it's dry, i'll take her out too. But she went well at castle coombe on the weekend. :wink:

Its a modded IHI VF34 Turbo.. Its the same one they use for the 20vt, like the one on mine.. On a G60 engine its good for 300-340bhp, on a 20vt its good for 400bhp..450bhp with a different exhaust housing (like Maurice Reeves mk1 golf anyone?? You know the one which beats every thing on a track including Tiff Needle in a 996 Turbo.. lol !)

Hi ben, the IHI is a wicked piece of kit. right now it's not even running a bar. my injectors are flat out, but with a bigger set of injectors and a boost controller, i'll be able to see about 1.2 bar and 250-260 bhp, with a 1.9 bottom end, the boost can reliably run 1.5 bar all day and it'll be clean over 300 bhp! 8)

It just makes me think back to PWVs review of their grey rallye when they said there was no more tuning potential in the g60! :lol:

Hi ben, the IHI is a wicked piece of kit. right now it's not even running a bar. my injectors are flat out, but with a bigger set of injectors and a boost controller, i'll be able to see about 1.2 bar and 250-260 bhp, with a 1.9 bottom end, the boost can reliably run 1.5 bar all day and it'll be clean over 300 bhp! 8)

It just makes me think back to PWVs review of their grey rallye when they said there was no more tuning potential in the g60! :lol:

Awesome! You must be chuffed! Bet its quite nippy :)

I take it you'll prob need some new pistons/rods to take it pass that 300 bhp mark? What size injectors are you running at the moment..?

Yeah mate, i'm well impressed with the conversion, definately the way to go if your charger is on the way out!

As for the pistons, I'll more than likely need them, but i won't be doing that for a while, still trying to pay for the full jetex system that's just gone on!

Right now i'm on standard injectors and i'm quite happy with the output, for now. But a front mounted intercooler is in the works you can really tell the difference when the air is denser.

HI nice motor i was up at jabba getting mine serviced seen yours up there, also one was on the r-road getting tweeked..can you give some info when up there i spoke to them they said around 2500-3000 quid for turbo etc...but would give me 600 for my charger sounds good already. was saying will chuck out about 300 ish BHP not bad she has 210 now with 200llbs well its tempting we will see nice conv mate... :lol:

Cheers, it's a nice conversion to have, I've just put on a jetex system, and that makes a big difference, especially at top end, it now pulls like a train from 90-130(as a few drivers found out on the M5 sunday!).

:lol:

But the big upside about the conversion, is the potential for big power, Jabba recon over 300bhp is reliably achieveable with the setup, it does require a 1900 bottom end, but it's still a huge amount of power out of an 8v design that's now over 17 years old! 8)

It's been a while since i've posted up a few pics so i thought i'd post up an update.

Just after i fitted the exhaust, i fitted some Zimmerman front discs, then took it straight out to Castle Combe where i sucessfully managed to turn all four of the discs and the exhaust blue!

DSC01689small.jpg

Ive also fitted some DDI gauges, thanks again to Zarman for sorting me out!

06102005.jpg

But since then i've been concentrating on making the engine bay more appealing, so Lance at Trimsport has been coming in very handy!

25112005.jpg

I'm currently converting the alternator/pulleys etc to mk3 so i loose the charger bracket, and i'm looking into fitting air con too, but that's quite a way away. Also the crappy standard intercooler is really letting the side down so i'm after a FMIC and after that a boost controller is on the cards!

g60 dave did i meet you at a rolling road day last year at interpro ?

i had my black corrado and was with steve in his 300 bhp scooby ?

funk

Cheers guys, GIXXERUK, no they come on with the lights, but i know what you're getting at and i'm thinking about putting them onto the ignition.

funky, yeah that was me, you were robbed on the rollers, they buggered up your fueling when they put in their boost gauge!

By the way, if anyone has any shiny bit's on offer (inlet manifold etc) let me know!