Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

upgrading head

hi ya im changing my head in the next few weeks after i get back from th nurburgring,

i now have a shiney new big valve spec head,, 40mm inlet 35 exhaust,, at home, and a flowed inlet manifold, :evil:

my car has done 77000 miles and i was wondering,

would it be prudent to change the rod bearings and the piston rings at the same time?

as unlike other VAG motors that have bottom ends that go on for years, the short rods in the G60`s give the big end bearings a bit of a beating!! :roll:

q henny!! :wink:

You called? :lol:

For the price of 'em and the ease of doing it while the heads off, you'd be silly not to change the big end shells really... don't forget to replace the con-rod bolts too though... 8)

You can do the big end shells and the middle crank shells without taking the engine out of the car, leaving just the two end bearings un-changed.... the odds are that you'll find that the crank bearings are still in good condition and that it's just the con-rod shells that need changing... 8)

I'd just do the rod bearings. If you have good compression now, I don't see the point in messing with the rings.

Gavin

cheers henny, think i`ll do them then,, what about the piston rings? worth doing?
My piston rings were fcuked at 98k. For the very small amount of extra work involved, I'd change them.

out of interest how much did you pay for your piston rings? not priced mine up yet,,
Not a right lot m8 - I work at GSF . :wink: