Kevin Bacon

The Forced Induction VR6 thread

Kev that trick bit of kit, i like it :) Time you up the boost mate, i see Ben up to 510bhp /488lbft :shock:

Glad i sold mine now or i would be spending£££££££££££££££££ keeping up with you lot :lol:

Think i mite keep the R simple with coils & rims and few body mods for now

Cheers Shaun :D

I'm not power hungry. It was done mainly to cure an occasional fuel splutter on corners and I'm not convinced a tiny little pump in the tank can sustain 400hp for long, so it's just there to add some reassuring muscle :D

When the 02M is in I'll be upping the boost :D

Nice job Kev - as ever :salute:

It looks really neat and tidy, i'm sure yours will be far quieter then mine. I put mine in the boot, sounds like a swarm of angry bees following me around :cuckoo: LOL!

I used a walbro 255 in tank pump feeding my 1.5ltr swirl pot, then a 044 to feed the engine from there...

Not the best pic but you get the idea

IMG_3531.jpg

LOL, know what you mean about the Swarm of bees sound, good description :lol:

Yours looks great though :salute:

Mine also has 1.5 litre capacity, but I just found out yesterday my 044 wasn't supplied with a check valve, meaning all the unwanted fuel pressure drains back through the pump instead of the regulator (path of least resistance), which can damage it apparently. So I've ordered a check valve from good old Speedflow - http://www.speedflow.com.au/valves.html

The UK shop has them too, which is a relief!

its not just about shiny bits and numbers this forced induction lark shaun :lol:

some nice set ups there guys for sure!!! what wheels you running around on nowadays kev?

It looks really neat and tidy, i'm sure yours will be far quieter then mine. I put mine in the boot, sounds like a swarm of angry bees following me around :cuckoo: LOL!

I used a walbro 255 in tank pump feeding my 1.5ltr swirl pot, then a 044 to feed the engine from there...

IMG_3531.jpg

That must be bloody annoying. Everybody thins mine is a G60 when sitting idle because of the noise :lol: .

what wheels you running around on nowadays kev?

She's back on Pro Race 1s mate. I bought the Orange ones from the classifieds on here and painted them in VW Reflex silver :D

I will do a build thread at some point, as soon as I've sped up my home broad band!

Yeah they still look good! Suit your car better as they're more sleepery imo, which is what your car is all about 8)

Surge tank and Bosch 044 installed. It went on easily and I'm chuffed with the build quality and low noise levels of the pump :D Normally they're noisy as hell, but submerged in fuel it's a lot quieter, just sounds like a MK1 / MK2 K jet pump that's tired. You can just hear it buzzing at idle and that's it.

People with 3" exhausts might not hear it all :D

600hp capable fuelling ready to go :norty:

nice work there Kev - liking the way you've kept everything as oem, subtle and out of sight as possible.

seeing as you're running the pump in the swirl tank, the cooling effect from the fuel should make the pump last a bit longer as well shouldn't it?!? as well as the obvious bonus of making it a bit quieter.

oh and agree with the others about your wheels - i've always been a fan of the pro-races, typically they're nice and light for you too! :lol:

IMG_3531.jpg

that's a very nice setup you've got there too Ben - nice to see those V3's are getting put to good use!

have you got a build thread anywhere - was loving seeing all those piccies on your phone ages ago, now i've seen this i want more! didn't realise you were running figures above 500hp until recently - mental! :nuts: :luvlove:

Cheers Shaun :D

I'm not power hungry. It was done mainly to cure an occasional fuel splutter on corners and I'm not convinced a tiny little pump in the tank can sustain 400hp for long, so it's just there to add some reassuring muscle :D

When the 02M is in I'll be upping the boost :D

Kev, Ben,

Tim at the Phirm did the very same thing to mine about six weeks ago. My swirl pot has a capacity of about a pint rather than Ben's one litre - not sure what yours is. I'm using the standard in tank pump with a Glencoe race pump on a neat bracket mounted next to the swirl pot and fuel filter under the car, very similar to yours. I wasn't suffering with fuel starvation but I did have what turned out to be a fuel relay problem on the Glencoe in early May, that was causing erratic running. When that was addressed - with a separate loom for the Glencoe - Tim fabricated then fitted the swirl pot at the same time. Having initially been living with a not-unpleasant but very audible whine, my pump has quietened down alot as the pressure has been turned down. I too am familar with the 'bees in the back' analogy...

Mine's coming along. Its done about 3000 miles on the forged pistons and rods. The DTA has now been fully mapped at different boost settings by the guys at Track and Road Proformance at Rainham, and is really smooth. It even idles well from cold. I can't believe how rapid it is.

Having said that, I'm not close to 500hp yet, nor do I think I will ever be. Its an animal as it is, and I just can't imagine needing to go faster on our roads! :shock: But well done to Ben all the same.

Apart from the colour of the wheels and paint, mine now looks quite similar to yours. I love my Pro Race 1s. :salute:

Mine is 1.5 Litre capacity when empty, and I think the pump body displaces about 400ml so yeah, I think it's enough for the job :D

I was having starting problems because my 044 was supplied without a check valve, but I managed to find a purpose made one from Speedflow, and it's starts on the button again :D http://www.speedflow.com.au/valves.html

Interesting what you say about the fuel pump relay. I was never happy with the standard wiring when it came to uprated pumps as they pull a lot of amps. I've relayed the intank pump and also the external one seperately. The factory relay merely has to provide a signal for the other two, which is good as it always ran too hot for my liking, even when standard.

I'm glad you're happy with the mapping, I've heard only good things about Steve Greenauld. He's pretty much the main authority with DTA in the country :salute:

What idle valve are you using?

Agreed on the power and defo agreed on the ProRace 1s. Subtle, usable and reliable :D Just the 02M for me next as the last mechanical mod. The 02A is lasting well, but feeling tired, and I want that extra speed 8)

that's a very nice setup you've got there too Ben - nice to see those V3's are getting put to good use!

have you got a build thread anywhere - was loving seeing all those piccies on your phone ages ago, now i've seen this i want more! didn't realise you were running figures above 500hp until recently - mental! :nuts: :luvlove:

Thanks Pete :salute:

Yep, your V3's have certainly been put to good use - they get daily excersise lol

I know I keep saying it but I will get round to writing up a full build thread, I have around 300 pictures of the full build, everything from the engine build (3.0 forged pistons, forged rods, big valve head etc...) to all the parts that have been custom made (deleted radiator lower panel, customised front cradle, renault radiator, custom 3" exhaust, turned MS adaptors, customised slam panel for intercooler space...... its a long list.....)

It actually has 3 maps, 330hp st1, 390hp st2 and 510hp st3 all at varying levels of boost.

Kev, Ben,

Tim at the Phirm did the very same thing to mine about six weeks ago. My swirl pot has a capacity of about a pint rather than Ben's one litre - not sure what yours is. I'm using the standard in tank pump with a Glencoe race pump on a neat bracket mounted next to the swirl pot and fuel filter under the car, very similar to yours. I wasn't suffering with fuel starvation but I did have what turned out to be a fuel relay problem on the Glencoe in early May, that was causing erratic running. When that was addressed - with a separate loom for the Glencoe - Tim fabricated then fitted the swirl pot at the same time. Having initially been living with a not-unpleasant but very audible whine, my pump has quietened down alot as the pressure has been turned down. I too am familar with the 'bees in the back' analogy...

Mine's coming along. Its done about 3000 miles on the forged pistons and rods. The DTA has now been fully mapped at different boost settings by the guys at Track and Road Proformance at Rainham, and is really smooth. It even idles well from cold. I can't believe how rapid it is.

Having said that, I'm not close to 500hp yet, nor do I think I will ever be. Its an animal as it is, and I just can't imagine needing to go faster on our roads! :shock: But well done to Ben all the same.

Cheers Charlie.

Mine is also a 1.5ltr swirl pot, this was to avoid starvation on full chat. Even though I am using a Walbro 255 in tank pump I wanted to be sure as the 044 has an amazing flow rate.

On a side note, I saw your car at Stonor. Looks great fella, more OE than mine :) I think the last time I saw it was years ago at Brands when the CF had a stand for the VW cup. Mine and yours were both SC back then.

Interesting what you say about the fuel pump relay. I was never happy with the standard wiring when it came to uprated pumps as they pull a lot of amps.

Yep, agree totally Kev. My fuel pumps have their own fused and relayed loom, independant of any standard wiring

IMG_1199.jpg

That must be bloody annoying.

LOL in all fairness you dont hear the pump when you have a stereo on, plus on a good point if you stop hearing the angry bees, or they change tone.... you have a problem!

Yeah, I've seen various parts of Ben's build over email and it's all been done superbly to a high standard :salute:

300 pics though!! Sheesh! I think I have approx 50 from start to finish :lol:

LOL in all fairness you dont hear the pump when you have a stereo on, plus on a good point if you stop hearing the angry bees, or they change tone.... you have a problem!

That is exactly what I thought about the noise aswell :D I have it on good authority though, that 044 failures are extremely rare. The only ones which do fail (and fail quickly) are the Chinese copies. The genuine 044s have "Made in Czech Republic" embossed on the side. If it says "Made in Germany", it's a fake, get it off the car immediately.

You can't hear mine at all until you get out of the car, and then you just the bees swarming around the back wheel :lol:

I like the noise though as it reminds me of the old K Jet valvers 8)

Ben,

Torque wins races and 488ft/lb is a very good number. Interested to know what gearbox you are running. Is it still the O2a?

Aaah, big valve head, hey? Am I right in thinking you're running a GT3076? What psi figures are your 'stages' at? Are you running water injection aswell? I've got Aquamist from when I had it with the SC, but its not up and running yet.

Just for my interest really...

Charlie

16psi and 500bhp :pale:

And mine made 392hp @ 11psi :lol:

Don't be too disheartened, Ben and I have 'specced' up engines though. Big valve heads, 263 cams, short intakes, standalones etc etc. It all makes a difference 8)

Vince is still working on the OBD1 VRT mapping, so in the near future you can upgrade to 440cc injectors and whack the boost up :D

02A with Wavetrak diff. GT3076 and 8, 10, 16psi I believe.

Thanks Kev, almost spot on....

02A with Wavetrak diff. GT3076 and 7, 10, 16psi (no water injection)

And mine made 392hp @ 11psi :lol:

It was actually Kev who recommended the turbo, amongst the hundreds of emails I sent him picking his brain :salute: with that GT35 he has, his is more than capable of 600hp :D

Cheers Ben :D

I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1.06 turbine housing to get more top end actually :D Lag doesn't bother me. I can't benefit from quick spooling where I live, but during my road trips around the country, I do find the top end a little wanting at times, even with a 35R. Maybe time to upgrade to a GT40R? :cuckoo: :lol:

All this talk, Im wondering what mine is putting out. Seem to be around 17psi full boost but its "only" a 2.8 so Im guessing around a 380hp. Would be nice to get a figure on it.