veeDuB_Rado

Engine Clean - Good Result! :)

LOL, spray on, rinse off, and you have a brand new looking engine bay! Gunk is good, but it aint magic :)

Ive been steam cleaning/valeting angine bays for 5 years...i'll reluctantly give it a go to keep from getting bored, curiosity and a laugh.

Thats a bit of a wind up. Quite a few of those parts aren't the same in some places, minute changes that aquick glance misses. I can't believe the cadmium plated bits are the same. Not sold on that nor the Armorall as I use it a lot for cleaning the engine bay and it doesn't seal in the newness!

Well the two pics look the same to me. I'm with dr_mat on this one - they likely took a freshly valeted car and drove it through some puddles for a week for the 'before' pic.

I dunno guys, I've had very good results using a can of degreaser and a pressure washer - here is my G60, I didn't even touch the engine to clean it!!

i just used a can of degreaser and my garden hose and the picture wasn't worth taking. i reckon it is the pressure washer that does the job.

isn't it a bit risky using high pressure water on 13 year old bits of plastic and such?

Wow. I'm preparing to eat my words.

And if you want that wax effect then you use another spray - Halfords do a 2 part turtlewax kit which contains this...

isn't it a bit risky using high pressure water on 13 year old bits of plastic and such?

It is but i'm only using a £50 pressure washer, nothing too powerfull and i'm careful where i direct it, I've used this method on several Golfs and 2 Corrado's now...

Warm engine

Spray on 1 can degreaser

Leave for 15 mins

Pressure wash off

Leave for another 15

Wipe away any excess water on electrics, spray WD40 on Battery terminals...

Start engine

Leave idleing for 15

Take for a 20 min drive

Apply belt dressing, oil throttle cable, grease gear shift mech etc...

The cleaning takes about 30 mins but the work involved is minimal! You just have to be sure your electrics are good, no cracks in dizzy cap etc and alarm wiring is out the way, also a good idea to stick a towel over ECU as the C has no scuttle cover...

ive always done it this way woest ive experienced was my old cab had a misfire for about 2 mins then cleared when warm, this was only straight after it didnt do it again, my rados bay comes up a treat with the jet wash but a good steam clean does the job better.

I'm with dr_mat on this one - they likely took a freshly valeted car and drove it through some puddles for a week for the 'before' pic.

I was joking .. :)

But I don't think it's quite as "legit" as they make out, nonetheless.

Right - I've just done the TDI and thought i'd post some before and after photo's

This was a very quick job using half a can of NV and a quick blast with the pressure washer, I'll do it again once i've sorted the pipework and changed the intercooler (which is leaking - see the oil over the alternator in the first pic)

i did this today but my engine was to hot, results not bad but nothing like above. Also i only used a hose pipe. Gonna give it another go tomorrow..

Blimey, not a bad result Steve! 8)

How did the washer bottle come up? ;) Strangely, you seem to have left it out of the shot... :lol:

Took scarlett's valver to my local favourite valeters yesterday for an engine bay steam clean... Top quality job (just like they did on my 'rat), and they took their time over getting it done properly... Got some water in the dizzy cap but that was cos it wasn't on properly - bit of a blow with an airline and some wet-start and all is peachy... When he'd finished iI heard him say "bl00dy hell, there's an engine under all that oil!" :lol:

Best comment from him though - they were detailing an utterly immaculate Ferrari 328GTS when I arrived, and so I was drooling all over it (well, near it anyway, didn't want to ruin their work!) - the guy looked at the 'rado and went "nah, I'd have that over the Ferrari anyday..." Top man!