Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

Anyone tried one of these chips?

Yeah, thats what I was thinking..

He has relatively good feedback - probably find there is no noticable difference in performance anyway.

Actually more interested in fuel economy anyway as my VR6 is plenty fast as it is!

Only thing I wish I could improve is the standing start acceleration. Seems to be quite a flat spot up to 3500 rpm, then it shoots off! (so to speak!)

With car tuning if it looks too good to be true, it is! Like those flux capacitors (!) that makes your car run rich that they sell on ebay. What a load of old sh1te.

So you actually got a proper chip and not a resistor? Try it but don't expect miracles!

Yes that's the way they are below 4000 rpm I'm afraid. The gearing is overly tall aswell which doesn't help either. The C VR6 was made for the Autobahn....it's not really an urban racer tbh....that's what Saxo VTSs are for.

that's what Saxo VTSs are for.

that and shopping....

I'll sell you some magic beans for £20?

thats far to priey for magic beans nowadays mate :wink:

Yes it is a proper EPROM. The guy wouldn't send it until he got the proper ECU codes from me, so it looks like he has made a vague attempt to give me the right chip for the car. I might pop it in for a test and see what happens.

In regards to performance, I drove to manchester and back on friday and had a great time on the M1 on the way back. Only guy to overtake me was some nutter on a superbike. A guy in a Mazda RX-8 gave it a go, but I just dropped down into 4th gear and blew him away. Got to about 130mph before I had to slow down as I don't really want any points on my license.

Sounds good then in that case. Let me know if it's any good and I might try one myself! We see 'rechips' on ebay often for that sort of money and it invaribly turns out to be a resistor and a length of wire!

I find the VR does it's best work in 4th and 5th personally. It effortlessly blasts past people on the motorway, even the childish morons that like to pull over the put their foot down. Ragging it through the gears is not really satisfying I find. I prefer to let the 6 cylinder muscle bash it along at silly speeds on the motorway instead and past 100mph, it just keeps going and going and going.....

Anyway, have a look in the group buy forum for the VR6 throttle page. A member on here opens the them out and fits them with slightly bigger throttle valves, the most restrictive part of the VR6 intake. Very good value at £120 exchange (half the price of AmD's) and it makes the engine noticably perkier, especially past that magic 4000....

Kev - can the throttle body be used with a Schrick?

I see they can. Suppose I should have looked at the discussion thread first :oops:

LOL.... yeah my setup was Shrek + Shrek 268s + one of them throttles and it was nice.

I also used the cams and throttle on their own without the schrick as I progressively stripped the engine of the goodies and sold them on.

They all make a nice difference on their own, but used with the other bits n bobs, yum. Ian (Alpina527) is local to me as it turned out, so I thought I'd try one being forced induction now as it can only help cram all the blown air into the engine!

Hee hee, I was stuck behind some numpty going slowly in the outside lane and some eejit in a Puma pulled up behind me indicating right. Luckily the guy in front pulled over and I just plopped my foot down in 5th... the Puma disappeared, so with my point proved I pulled over and slowed down then let him carry on charging past :roll: :lol:

Yeah that's what I do, draw out a 10 car length lead and then pull over and slow down again :lol: Did the same thing to a Celica T Sport (new shape) on Friday night after work and he just gave up and pulled in behind me, having tried to bully me over first :lol:

Yeah, its very satisfying to know that there is a load of extra power if you need it. Especially just over 100mph in 5th. You can just floor it and pull away quite strongly.

P.S A bit off topic, but has anyone got an engine cover they want to sell? - the VR6 DOHC one?

They're rare, very rare in usable condition s/hand. The only people likely to have them are Schrick manifold users.

Unless breakers have the correct Corrado one "DOHC VR6", it might have to be a dealer stinging session for you.

Might think about a TB then... when he says exchange... he means I give him my old one, right? I presume he can wait until after you install the one he sends you?

Cool. I thought as much - might just keep an eye on ebay to see if one pops up.

Anyone know approx how many VR6 C's were in the UK? I know there were about 9000 Corrados of all models over the years of production, but how many were the VR6 model?

Ok, back on topic. In regards to resetting the ECU I pulled this info from another post:

"After reconnecting the battery, just let it idle for a few minutes, then take it for a drive and do at least 1 or 2 full bore blasts in 3rd. The rest

it will learn as you go along. You don't have to max the revs in 3rd, the ECU is just 'learning' your throttle movements, so just floor it in 3rd and hold it

there for a few seconds."

Should I have done this after I fitted the K&N Filter to adjust the ECU to the new air volume?

p.s I have a VAG-COM setup and it is reporting no fault codes from the engine or ABS. Do I need to send any codes back via the VAG-COM after the reset?

How's that chip working out for you then? I got a £20 jobby off ebay.de for mine, and all it did was overfuel horrifically and totally wreck the fuelling curve... It lost me power and worsened my fuel economy - couldn't have been much worse! :lol:

Should I have done this after I fitted the K&N Filter to adjust the ECU to the new air volume?

There's no need, the MAF sensor will fine tune the fuelling automatically.

How's that chip working out for you then? I got a £20 jobby off ebay.de for mine, and all it did was overfuel horrifically and totally wreck the fuelling curve... It lost me power and worsened my fuel economy - couldn't have been much worse! :lol:

Ok fitted the chip last night (just before Fla came over to collect his wheels). To my relief, it started 1st time! Decided to take it for a quick spin with him while he was there, it feels slightly smoother, but otherwise I haven't noticed much difference yet. The ECU was reset so it may take a few more miles to get used to the chip?

Fuel economy wise - thats a hard one as I live pretty much bang in the middle of london, so there is a lot gear changing and stopping and starting. MPG reading for my short 2mile trip was about 16mpg - I'm sure this is better than it has been around town.

In contrast, I was getting 32MPG on the M1 the other day. Need to take it on the motorway again to compare I suppose. Also see if the rev limiter is disabled with the new chip.

Will post more reports when I drive the car next.