Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Ouch!

I think that is just one of the few reasons why Renault killed it off so quickly....

It never quite achieved what was hoped.... never mind.

So that was/is a common problem with them? Any ideas why?

Anyone driven those, what are they like? How do they compare to the VR is what I really want to know.

Just imagine that was your C... how gutted would you be?

Very, it doesn't take long to get going, there was a video of a Mk4 Golf catching fire and going up in smoke a while ago.

So that was/is a common problem with them? Any ideas why?

Anyone driven those, what are they like? How do they compare to the VR is what I really want to know.

I followed with interest the car's development over a few years of Evo reading and yes, the potential for catching fire was mentioned.

The MK1 was terrible, didn't handle, was poorly made and not that quick (according to Evo et al).... but the MK2 is almost spot on but Renault have pulled it, which is a shame as it was a volume producer letting their sport division's team do what they wanted to do for a change, rather the marketing & accontancy teams telling them what to produce.

No idea what they're like compared to a VR.... chalk and cheese most likely. One is mid engine, RWD and the other is FWD.

no denying that car is HOT :-)

:roll:

ahh but thats an ambiguous statement , always liked them and its on fire

No idea what they're like compared to a VR.... chalk and cheese most likely. One is mid engine, RWD and the other is FWD.

Fair enough.

point of interest.

On a press day launch of the mk1 Clio 6 - the Renault test driver managed to spin it twice.

And I think all journalists spun it.

Not a good start was it? The mk2 addressed this by stretching the wheelbase and increasing the track. But it was always a shite concept - and the Clio 182 would beat it thru the bends.

so I read .. . . .

i always thought it was a bit odd they brought out the 182 when the mk1 v6 was 230bhp and the mk2 is 255bhp, sure theres more torque but i'm fairly sure you (or rather renault) could've slapped a turbo or s/c on a 182 and had something that out performs the v6 in all applications, still, got to admire renault for having a bash at something interesting!

You can super or turbo charge just about anything these days, for instance I've seen a company offering twin turbo conversions for Monaros....600hp...but at a cost of over £10000. The BBR Mini Turbo conversion costs a staggering £17K + the car!! But it's the quickest 1600 in existence apparently, 317lb/ft torque and 303ish hp. So a few K to charger a VR6 is positively cheap.... but err, yeah, turbo'd 182s are insane apparently and would whup a V6 Clio.... but the V6 Clio looks hard as nails, has bags more character.... but the 182 is just any other clio with grey wheels.

Spinning it just means that it's fun :D (on a track)

spinning by your test driver means the suspension set up is suspect.

It also means you are trying to hard.

Spinning on the public roads is trouser filling - as my friend almost discovered when I took him for a spin in an old E30 Beemer I once owned - luckily I didn't lose my bottle on the throttle and managed a 540 - facing the way we had entered a tighter bend than I had expected.

LOL

aye, the v6 looks a damn sight better... but then for about £1500 you can get a v6 bodykit if you really want one. never been the biggest fan of clios, but theres something about the v6 that just makes you want one, even if its not everything you'd like it to be.

i remember having one up my ass on the M4 once...i was in my 8v so just moved over into the " come feck me " position i was so used to. When it shot past me it gave me just enough time to work out the numberplate " 00H YE V6"......tres cool.

not a fan of the french things...but i agree with Chris...you gotta give it to them for having a go at something different.