Sign in to follow this  
steveh

Headlight Mod

Gavin,

I'm having trouble with keeping the spade connectors to hold in the slots on both the loom side and lamp side. I ended up just wrapping loads of insulation tape around the lot, but still worried they might wiggle loose. Also, even though I haven't upgraded the Main beam bulbs, the fuse has blown twice on me!

any ideas. Other than that, well chuffed with the loom!

has anyone got the 100watt rally bulbs in, and have you had to up grade the fuses or anying thing???

flowhen i done mine it was a bit of a squash but they do fit. if still having probs try squeezing them LIGHTLY across ways with some long nose pliers(the protective case bit). and i think the fuse should be atleast a 20. :)

has anyone got the 100watt rally bulbs in, and have you had to up grade the fuses or anying thing???

before even thinking of upgrading the bulbs............best to get a headlight loom upgrade from either Gavin on here as H100VW or DIY it

before even thinking of upgrading the bulbs............best to get a headlight loom upgrade from either Gavin on here as H100VW or DIY it

yeah sorry didnt make that clear. i ve got gavin's kit and wondered if anyone had the bulbs in and if they had any probs. cos its abit of ajump. (60watt to 100watt) :) cheers

Hi fellas, I have been shipping looms with a spare 30A fuse for the main beam for about a year now.

For information, a 20A blade fuse is happy running 20 Amps continuously. It will blow at 40Amps, double the rating.

Jumping to 80/100W bulbs from std 55/60Ws takes the current in the main beam feed over the edge.

Std main beam in the loom draws 2 X 60W + 2 X 55W total 230Ws dividing by 12V gets you to 19.16A. Going to 80/100W headlights with std spots draws, 2 X 100 + 2 X 55W = 310W dividing by 12V gets 26A.

As the relay intially makes, the sudden increase in current in the wire may exceed the 20A blow of 40A. Fitting the 30A prevents this yet still provides the protection that the loom and relays need.

I don't recommend changing the spotlight bulbs for 100 watters, with 80/100W headlights you will take it over the limits of both the relay (40A) and the cable that I use.

I hope that is clear enough. If not ask again.

Cheers

gavin

thats just watt( :wink: ) i was after. cheers for clearing that one up. :D

Glad to help. Any other V=IR questions let me know. :mrgreen:

In truth, the current would be less, as the voltage is usually nearer 14volts than 12.

Gavin

Can I ask a question on this? The loom described in the opening post of this thread claims to improve the dipped beam only, yet by the sound of it Gavin's improves both main and dipped. Can someone point the difference out to me? Many thanks!

Gav's looms have 2 relays, one for main beam and one for dipped. This means that the lighting on BOTH settings is VASTLY improved and that generally, you'll be able to see where you're going for a change! :lol:

The loom described on the first page was only a main beam upgrade, but if you double the parts in there, you can wire up the dipped beam too... ;)

Oh, and there's sod all point doing the sidelights as they're pants no matter what you do to 'em 'cos the bulb is sooooo small! :lol:

Ah, thankyou kind sir! :)

Is it literally a case of making up two of the earlier described looms then? And installing one for dipped beam and one for main beam?

I have some 10W sidelight bulbs from a Boeing 747, I wonder if they would benefit from a relay... :mrgreen:

Heads for the garage...........

Gavin

Top lights now fitted to my VR, with some 747 bulbs :sunny:

Cheers Gav :notworthy:

My god the standard full beam on my corrado has just under 9v @ the main bulbs, with the engine running (~13.2v @ battery)

Did this mod with 2x 30a relays using 2.5mm2 wire and also wired the ground back to the battery with 2.5mm2, as the standard loom had 0.5v drop on full beam on the ground.

Now I have just 0.5v drop on full and 0.25v on dipped, and seriously the lights look twice as bright, but more importantly I can see where im going :)

took delivery of one of Gavins looms and it really is a quality piece of kit - if i didnt know otherwise i would have though it was a original VW part

nice one mate !!!