Sign in to follow this  
veeDuB_Rado

*SERIOUS OIL LEAK* What Is This? HELP PLZ!

Well I knew iI had a problem with an oil leakeage, started up the motor lifted up the bonnet and the oil was literally pouring out from this..PLZ HELP!

think its yer oil cooler/heat exchanger.................not too great a pic to make it out from......but its not a major bit to fix....cheap and i think reasonably easy to DIY

EDIT.it might even just be the seals for it........£2 ea from memory :wink:

Which part of the pic is the oil coming out of ?? I had a broken sensor (Top of the cooler) and it was chucking out loads of oil all over the engine just like that. The new sensor was only £5 :D

If your luck then it could just be that the cooler is loose and leaking the oil. There’s a bug nut that hold everything together but you have to take the filter off to get to it. Its on the same thread that the filter screws to.

Id check that first before buying a new cooler.

The securing nut just above the oil filter on the botom face of the oil cooler is done up to 18ft lb (25Nm). Tighter may deform and crack the oil cooler body.

Oil seal if needed under the top flange above the oil cooler is 038 117 070A. You may not get a good seal if it's deformed or split. So check it before tightening it all up.

I had this seal go on my old 16v. It's worth sorting everything now as its a cheap and easy job.

From memory:

take of oil filter, undo nut up inside. take apart cooler, and replace seal. [you may need to remove this compleatley by removing two allen? bolts.]

put back together again!

Its also worth replacing the temp sendors at the same time as these are also prone to leaking. Your biggest single expense will be new oil!

Whole job shouldnt take much more than an hour if you have a fair idea what your doing. Dont drive anywhere!! Oil empties VERY quickly!

Well a friend has just come over (previous owner) and has just tightened up the pipe which is underneath where the leak was, seems to have done the job fine.

But I'm still gonna have it all checked out tomorrow

Thanks a million guys :)