Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Corrado

INTERCOOLERS, WHAT FITS INTO A G60...

yep it is big and good design but imagine how much better it would work with air free flowing through all off it. you would get 100% efficiency out of it.

also can someone tell me if standard VW are cold on touch and i mean really cold like mine form forge? you can keep ur hands on it for ever and doesnt get any warmer you just feel your hand getting colder and colder

The Golf one on my G60 when I ran it at Brunters in J-DUB was positively COLD to the touch (uncomfortably so!) after a couple of laps of the track and 2x 140mph runs down the straight... Now that it's in H-YYU with a standard bumper rather than the RS4 bumper I ran on J-DUB at the time, there's no temp increase at the throttle body (had an inlet thermometer installed as I switched between the 2 bumpers)

Don't forget, the Golf G60 one is based on the Rallye core, just with better end caps, and that was designed to be used in the Golf Rallye during competitions across deserts and the like... The Golf Rallye hasn't got that much more front end venting than the Corrado so inlet temps are always nice and cold when using this intercooler... VW spent a LOT of money and time researching and developing the Golf and Rallye intercoolers... it's not just a design someone welded up in a backstreet garage to fit into the space! :lol:

The Forge ones are also very good (as are the Allard ones) as the companies are set up specifically to make intercoolers, I just question if they're actually any better than a genuine VW Golf G60 or Rallye one from a flow, efficiency and fitment point of view... :)

personally I like my set-up as all the air is from down low and flows through under the car rather than into the engine bay

which best way off getting round this is to raise the back off the bonnet so heat can escape quickly dubsport 20v orange/gold car prime example of that and I think ive seen a few other’s somewhere like that.

Also reason people put vents in the bonnets so air flow through the engine bay can maximised to keep things cool.

I have a really stupid question.

What happens when it rains or theres a big puddle and you have an FMIC...?

aposegil, not entirely true matey...

There's 2 (genuine and none-chav) reasons to add bonnet vents to a car, and it's all to do with where they're placed and how they're designed as to which reason they're there for...

1) To draw IN cold air to a specific part of the engine bay - for example a forwards facing vent over a cone filter or over the back of the engine bay to draw air down over a hot turbo and exhaust system when the car is moving.

2) To draw hot air OUT of the engine bay - for example a backwards facing vent to draw heat off a large turbo/exhaust system

Both have very specific design characteristics to make them work properly, efficiently and not just get screw up the normal enginebay thermal and air flows...

The way the Golf and Rallye intercooler works is that it sits directly in front of the existing radiator (which is obviously getting enough air to cool your car down preventing melt down - if you don't believe me, put a sheet of tinfoil over the front of your radiator and drive around for 10 minutes! :onfire: ) The intercooler is designed to only slightly reduce the airflow back to the radiator and seeing that the intercooler temperature should never be anywhere near hot enough to HEAT the radiator up any, only a VERY slight increase in radiator temperature results from fitting the intercooler there. You also benefit from having not altered the aerodynamics of the car, or changed the airflow and thermal flow through the engine bay.

The dubsport 20V is an exception to the norm. It's got an engine which really shouldn't fit into an engine bay that small fitted which is making BIG power and therefore generating a LOT of heat. Dubsport found that on IDLE the heat built up so quickly that they needed a way of venting it upwards, (with heat rising and all that) hence why the back of the bonnet is lifted... this does practically nothing to alter the way the air flows through the engine bay when the car is driving, but makes a HUGE difference when the car is sat around with the engine running...

the intercooler stays even colder oh and gets dirty :( mate i manged to drive my corrado through a ford which was upto the bottom of my fogs no probs :)

its no different to having ur rad hit by water or rain

Shaggsy, If it gets wet, the intercooler gets MORE efficient! 8) It's just the same as the radiator on your car, only it cools the AIR going into the engine, not the coolant going around the coolant system on your engine...

yeah I agree with you about the directional vents and the chav thing (even thou they tend to be stuck on items)

but sorry I don’t agree with the idle thing, I know the present owner Karl (lives about 10 mins away) and that golf doesn’t create any more heat than my corrado does on idle

You think about it when you shut that bonnet how many gaps etc does the hot air have to escape??

this summer I had to take the rubber strips where the window wipers are on the corrado off for another reason but I found less hot air coming into the car because there was a small wide gap at the back of the bonnet were the heat must have been escaping. Otherwise it would have been coming in through the small little holes in the bulkhead which I noticed once I put those rubber stips back on.

In the end of the day to get the most power of your engine you need to keep the temps down, all of us know heat soak effects performance hence why summer days cars are slower.

Dont get me wrong all OEM stuff is tested etc by companies etc reall well and work well on OEM engines but when you start playing with them and I think if your going to spend the money now-a-day there is better ways off doing it than paying for old OEM stuff on.

I'll agree to disagree about the OEM stuff... you can hardly call my 1940cc G60 engine OEM and it REALLY likes the Golf G60 intercooler that's on there...

I know but uve done it your way and others will do it their ways we will just have to leave it at that and let other choose how they do it.

Shaggsy, If it gets wet, the intercooler gets MORE efficient! 8) It's just the same as the radiator on your car, only it cools the AIR going into the engine, not the coolant going around the coolant system on your engine...

Thanks very much! :notworthy:

Right folks lets get really back on topic, what fits into the front of a G60?Really would be good to define a list with costs, make and part numbers. The best value IC will certainly get me interested.

g60greeny, Audi A6 (although it may be too big!), Citroen XM 2.1 TD, Ford RS 500, Isuzu NPR Diesel Large

, Volvo XC 70, VW Golf II G60, and VW Golf II Rallye G60 all look to have a good size to them, they've all got the inlet and outlet on opposite sides to make pipework easier, they all look to have decent sized inlet and outlet pipes which seem to point in the right kind of directions that you'll need to be able to make up the pipework to fit them and are all reasonably common so shouldn't cost the world to get hold of...

Of course, these are all my opinion based on the info on that site, and would all need some carefull measuring to confirm if they're possible/practicle to fit or not... 8)

ive just got an ebay bargain. g60greeny spotted it but i put a stupid bid on and won. ive just got a merc ml270 intercooler, it looks alot like the sprinter one but not as long the inlet and outlet are on opposite side's so hopefully it should fit. the final price it went for was £12.50. it looks in mint condition and the seller says its air tight. bargain, just hope i can get it to fit.

It's about time that somebody approached the likes of RadTec, Pace, Forge or whoever and got one of these made up as a kit. Jabba have done but their shoddy workmanship when rebuilding G Laders has pretty much gauranteed that nobody on this forum at least will buy anything from them. Wouldn't G Werks want to design something that they could both fit AND sell?

Although its Jabba who sell them, its Pro Alloy who build the kit.

Which im sure no one can argue with their workmanship.

Audi RS2 Intercooler behind centre grill of a RS4 bumper ( bumber was rearranged by a Kangoo now sitting under RS2. work by JMR