Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

what exhaust?

I'm planning on replacing the standard (and very rusty) exhaust backbox on the 1.8 16v i get this weekend, but what should i be looking for? are there any that are especially good for the corrado? I'm not looking for anything really loud, just a nice rumble and nothing to expensive! are there any sizes or anything i should be looking at? Is replacing it something i could do myself?

you could do it yourself no problem if what you buy is a direct fit. just need to get the back exhaust side jacked up and pop the old stuff off... which might be the onlyhard part if it has seized together. might need a torch. you could at least get under there and try it... and if all else fails take it to a shop.

most people tend to go for either miltek or magnex,you would be better off going for a full stainless system,dont think yours has got a cat has it?but for a full system be looking at paying over £300

Don't ask why i did this, - must have too much spare time but here's a brief run down on tones/qualities of various poular exhaust manufacturers....If anyone wants to add/disaggree or hurl abuse please do so.... :? :lol:

MAGNEX: - Old favourite with decent look and choice of pipes. Reported good power gains and a sound that leans towards the more quiet.

MONGOOSE: Middle of the price range but good quality. - My brother had one on his nissan 200sx and it sounded A1 as did the system on my mates corolla gti, - low and beefy without sounding at all boy racer.

SUPERSPRINT: Much like V-DUBS, supersprint are subtle yet cool and stonking quality. Had full system on old mk2 Gti and it was good but v. quiet. They do two levels, - the latter being pretty much motorport i think but these are only available for some cars and expect to pay...

JETEX: Again, quiter hence 'The quiet revolution' slogan. Pretty ordinary s.steel exhausts but looked down upon by some for build quality i think. But TSR do stock them though...

MILLTEK: Cracking quality stuff made from apparent aircraft grade

steel. Popular with Dubbers such as Tim Stiles who gets them to make his s.steel manifolds for him...

PECO: Consider at your peril. On a more serious note, if you are looking to beef up the power by 200bhp or so on your nova sri , you cant afford not to splash out on one of their lovingly crafted pieces of automotive art.

REMUS: Was told they only do back boxes but then another guy i knew claimed he had a full system on his golf so who knows. They do come up pretty loud though...

SCORPIAN: Bordering on the boy racer i think, and bloody loud on the right car. Not that cheap either...

RAGE: A cheap option but actually not bad quality. The majority are universal so beware. Nice selection though and carbon fibre tips now available...

POWERFLOW: The opposite of the previous, these systems/backboxes are completely custom made on the car ensuring a top fit and come with a lifetime guarantee. You can choose everthing from tail pipes to no. of boxes to actual tone selection on full sytems. Not cheap, but not actually that expensive either...its what i've got on the G60 now...

HAPPY HUNTING. :shock:

Got a Magnex on my G60 - very loud but that may have something to do with the R1 supercharger & Jetex/Jabba induction kit.................. :lol:

While we're on the subject - what's the best CAT bypass available for the G60 at the moment ??

My Magnex is only CAT back, my CAT's knacked and I want more power !!!

stevemac......you can go three routes....remove the cat :twisted: or open it up weld a pipe through it close it back up and put it back on make it look like its still functional :twisted: or buy a high flow cat from one of the performance companies. 8)

if you have no vehicle inspection every year....id remove the bugger. :twisted:

just some thoughts.

I went for a scorpion boxer style one in the end, looked at what was available at my local mod-shop and they seemed the best quality. The guy said he had one on his golf and it 'wasnt too loud' after i said i didnt want anything boy-racery. :twisted:

Got a Sebring on mine and it's massive and loud. Got my mate to film the car driving away from and towards him to get an idea of the noise. Bugg£r me it's crazy. Also on the drive by the sound of the engine and charger hurtling towards the camera is awesome.

stevemac......you can go three routes....remove the cat :twisted: or open it up weld a pipe through it close it back up and put it back on make it look like its still functional :twisted: or buy a high flow cat from one of the performance companies. 8)

if you have no vehicle inspection every year....id remove the bugger. :twisted:

just some thoughts.

Fortunately the car was registered 3 months before emissions testing became law. I'm gonna throw the CAT away & fit a straight pipe instead.

What do I do with the Lamda/CAT sensor ??

The car runs like a bag of sh1te when it's not connected.

stevemac, I have a Powerflow cat back and have been enquiring latley about a bypass pipe, A local firm has quoted me around £75 inc Vat to fit a Powerflow one, which will be custom made to exactly fit my car, they also provide the hole to put the sensor, some places will make this out of your old cat but I want to hang onto mine as its working fine right now.

stevemac, I have a Powerflow cat back and have been enquiring latley about a bypass pipe, A local firm has quoted me around £75 inc Vat to fit a Powerflow one, which will be custom made to exactly fit my car, they also provide the hole to put the sensor, some places will make this out of your old cat but I want to hang onto mine as its working fine right now.

Think I'll have a ring round a few suppliers here in Leeds - should be able to get something similar... :thumbleft:

I have an exhaust too! so i may aswell tell you about it ;-)

It's a full S/Steel system from Mongoose with twin upswept DTM's popping out from under the bumper, not loud at all but gives a lovely tone at mid revs and is quiet on the motorway which makes it an "essential selection" as Pete Tong says!

Chrishill, nice to see another C owner in the Northeast has found the forum!

Did you see the Topic on Northeast Corrado's?

Chris

If your in Gateshead and fancy a full custom system. Take it over to TsunamiRacing on Salt meadows road and they'll build you one for £350. Getting some backboxes in from America soo which are very nice.

I'm looking for an exhaust system too wouldn't mind fitting a full system (without the cat if I dare) so any Tel number for Tsunami racing I live near Northallerton so its not far. :mad:

If your in Gateshead and fancy a full custom system. Take it over to TsunamiRacing on Salt meadows road and they'll build you one for £350. Getting some backboxes in from America soo which are very nice.

Hi Barney,

Found a powerflow dealer here in Leeds, so I think I'll get a bypass from them. Magnex CAT back system is only a couple of months old so I'll be keeping that on (sounds great).

Jetex system with a cat de-cat pipe,'pretty ordinary'........cheek!,its ok bought it cos its not too loud,not sure if id buy again though.

Shame it did not come in outwardly rolled .............they look the nuts me thinks!

Why does no-one use Techtonics? It sounds awesome on a VR6, but i do not know how it sounds on a g60 . Does anyone have this type on their g60, sonce i would like to know before deciding what exhaust to get for my 60?

Why does no-one use Techtonics? It sounds awesome on a VR6, but i do not know how it sounds on a g60 . Does anyone have this type on their g60, sonce i would like to know before deciding what exhaust to get for my 60?

:idea: might be because this is a predominatly UK site(though the word does seem to be speading amongst our stateside buddies :D )..........and i'm sure Techtonics is :?: USA :?:

I've got a Scorpion system and a Motex decat pipe. Thing is it sets off my mates car alarm when I park next to it (burble of exhaust sets off volumetric alarms) :D

I have a Supersprint de cat and centre box on mine, but as i wanted a letterbox tailpipe, i got a Scorpion backbox. Apparently they were a bit of a nightmare to mate together, and i never have had the tailpipe line up right (think its the hangers too though) Sounds great though. never gave me a headache yet :lol: but i did manage to set of a couple of car alarms though! Like i say, the build of the scorpion aint the same as Supersprint, but i really wanted the 'Boxer' pipe.

Put it this way, you know when im around! :lol:

....So i've been told by a few tuned VR owners!!!!!:lol:

dubster82, I could hear your car over the top of mine when we were leaving Biggar and I was in front of you so it is pretty loud, did sound good though.

Ive got a Scorpion system on mine and it looks and fits perfect. Strangely for a Scorpion though it does seem pretty quiet to me, I think it is just me though with being used to the Janspeed I had on my 16v cause biggrim said you can definately hear it outside the car from when I overtook him coming back from Kames. :twisted: