Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Drink & Drive, as theres No Police

Any of you who buy MCN (Motor Cycle News) paper will have seen the article about Drink Driving. A guy drove about in an open top car, beer cans stewn across the place and tried to drive recklessly but within the law. He followed police cars through town with beer cans and a straw stuck to his cap. He drove for about 400 mile through several counties and NEVER got Stopped.

Ok, so he drove within speed limits, but some shoddy swerving etc and kerb crawling past the station should raise an eybrow from plodd. And i know the article is about poor vunerable bikers but its still applicable to all road users; hit a drunk driver head on in your Rado and you gonne be in A&E.

The amount of times i've driven home at night, seeing the dedicated dog owners taking Trixy for a walk, and sure enough you come up behind p*ss-head driving at 20mph in a 40 zone. So if i can find a handfull of drink drivers every night, why cant plod?

- simple, the pubs would go bust!

Obviously speed is the only killer on the roads, so as long as you're not speeding nobody will get hurt.

Didn't you see the ad campaigns?! :roll:

That's what always bothers me about convoys (even in cars) - people always drive too friggin close.

I always end up with a huge gap in front of me because I don't want to be the one causing a multiple Corrado pileup

But they do help protect you from the U-Boat attacks...

it's about time the Police did something about them instead of going after speeding cars all the time. :x

Musicman, For the police to do that it would mean getting off there arses and out of there warm cars and deal with a pissed up person. Its far easier to just go after speeders or just sit back and let plod on a stick do all the work.

Classic argument against cameras. They don't pick up all the bad driving habits or pi55ed up wankers.

Speed kills is only half the story, you always have to throw in another factor so I prefer inappropriate speed for the conditions.

Bit harsh comments about the Police there.

Lucky to get out onto the streets with the amount of paper work that has to be done these days.

T.

Bit harsh comments about the Police there.

Lucky to get out onto the streets with the amount of paper work that has to be done these days.

T.

are you a rozzer then?

A female copper friend of mine (who owns a Corrado) had to walk a few weeks ago....after she filled her diesel rozzer-mobile up with petrol! She'll kill me if she reads this :)

I don't think they are harsh comments. The camera situation has become simply completely crazy. Yes, i have seen what a bad car accident looks like with kids involved and its very upsetting, espacially now i have a family.

However, the camera are a fkinh joke now. The uk seem to completely ignore the guidlines for why they are there and where to put them. If road saftey was the real reason for them you would'nt get a fine or points, you would get education before being allowed back on the road, possibly that you ahve to pay for.

I would say that the state of unmaintained british roads have as much to do with road safety, but sorry i must have missed the massive campaign on that one.

Speed is a factor in all accidents granted, you rarely see 2 parked cars hit each other. But being serious, this country really does have a major major problem, and these cameras are giving bobies a bad name, most i speak to agreeing with the above.

Off for a happy pill now. (im only bitter as i got done by one in a temp limit on the motorway twice! but all the signs were flat down on there faces with sand bags on top, so as far as i knew it was 70, not 50) and i was only doing 60 with nobody else around. Keep up the good work then! Aimed at the top brass there.

Not gonna get into a debate, but I reckon you want to point the finger at the governement not the Police.

T.

Off for a happy pill now. (im only bitter as i got done by one in a temp limit on the motorway twice! but all the signs were flat down on there faces with sand bags on top, so as far as i knew it was 70, not 50) and i was only doing 60 with nobody else around. Keep up the good work then! Aimed at the top brass there.

Nick, dont tell me you owned up to the speeding. Surely if it was the case that the signs were down, could you not go back, ensuring the signs are 'as they were', and take a photo?

I am one of the few people who slowed down for the roadworks on the M69 last summer; as even at 9pm there were guys working there, and thier lives are more important than my arrival to the gf's.

Timo - i mostly agree with you, but there is an element of 'attitude'. Theres no way Id become a plod, simply becuase i disagree with a lot of the implications and this Camera business is a classic example.

As afrementioned, yes its inappropriate speed that kills. However, if people are honest and made comment, you'd see a massive difference in oppinion. People i know often say how they thinks its ok to speed in any limit; you see the mdrive and yes they are very swift through town, then come the lovely country roads they struggle to make 50. I've known plod to look the other way at a bit of excessive speed in my time when it was safe to do so (empty country road); cameras dont look the other way.

And to add to this; the amount of people who drive to and from work in an aggressive manner is amazing; and in these worse condition of autumn they must be on the limit. And yes the electric gizmos with traction control + abs all help avoid acidents, but they forget thay Fred in his 10 year old Astra will not stop in the same distance. Im finding the rado doesnt stop as well with these naff 195/50-15 Dunlops, compared to the 205/40-17 Toyos; I leave large gaps for breaking to only have a BMW jump in, with his ABS fully engaged - sh*t.