Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

Wheel bearings from GSF

I need new front wheel bearings for the VR. The only thing that GSF list for the VR is a wheel bearing kit. Does anyone know what this includes?

Stupid question :oops: : will this kit include both sides or do I need two kits?

Are you implying that because I'm female that I can't?? :D

Anyway, no I'm not personally doing it, the other half and his brother are.

I doubt he was implying anything blackcat 8) , the reason he asked was because you ideally need a 20 ton press to put the new bearing in, its not the kind of thing that most people have lying around, most people will get the housing off then take the complete strut and hub to a garage to press it in. It can be done with a vice but its not recommended at all. I'm doing my front left one today and I'll have to take it somewhere with a press too.

lol no..i was going to say they front bearings need to be pressed in,so you will need to remove the whole hub assembly and take it to and engineers workshop and ask them to press the old ones out and new ones back in,while its off i would change the bottom ball joint as you may damage it when you remove the hub,you could hammer the bearings in/out but you may risk damaging it

lol, yeah I knew what you were going to say about the press, just teasing :D

I don't know what they're going to do about it but I'm sure they have it all in hand.

hope youve got a nice warm dry garage to do it in..the weather looks nasty at the moment

ha ha. No, looks like they'll be getting wet!! Got a big fishing umbrella!

blackcat said

ha ha. No, looks like they'll be getting wet!!

Must be great to be a charming female and be able to get the boys to scurry around doing tricky things for you! :mrgreen:

Good luck in getting it fixed, anyway. 8)

Must be great to be a charming female and be able to get the boys to scurry around doing tricky things for you!

Yeah, it is 8) .

I can do simple things like oil changes, even did the brake discs and pads once but I think the wheel bearings are best left to people who know what they're doing!

I'll stick to making them cups of tea :D

The father in law and I did one on the drive, not that bad a job. Didn't need a press but did need my angle grinder to get the inner race off the drive flange.

Gavin

I dont think you need a press at all. I have done loads of bearings, and all I have ever done is tap them in with a drift.

Never had any problems at all.

I've just uneathed what appears to be a VAG front wheel bearing kit in my garage - yours for £15 posted if you want it.