Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

fuel

have always been recommended that i use super unleaded on my 16v,however......in the Corrado brochure it states to use leaded 95ron fuel. :? am i missing something here?

up to you really mate, iv'e never used anything other than super unleaded in my raddos, i find they idol better and seem to run a bit smoother.

The engines don't care about the lead content. Valve seats in VW motors have been hardened for eons.

The Octane rating is important though, 4 star used to be 98 RON, so 95 would normally mean detuning, backing off the timing, to prevent pinking. This would also lose you a bit of performance.

Using 97 will provide most of the performance you would get from 4 star. To get max performance from ordinary unleaded would require a piggy back ECU to modify the timing.

Gavin

up to you really mate, iv'e never used anything other than super unleaded in my raddos, i find they idol better and seem to run a bit smoother.

Whos your idol? :lol:

:pukeleft: :pukeright:

Shame that wasnt upside down, at least i could have appreceiated half of it then!

the Corrado brochure it states to use leaded 95ron fuel

Early 1.8ltr "KR" 16v engine runs 98RON Super Unleaded unless timing is changed (naff performance if timing is set for unleaded unless something like K-Star is fitted).

Later 2.0ltr "9A" runs on 95RON Unleaded.

thats weerd - my broshure says that im supost to run on 97 ron min - and it does specify the car being the 2.ltr - could it have been because she spent allot of her life on the autobahns? think she was imported in 96 from germany (still left hand drive though

Took a look around.

The 9A engine is 95RON, in fact it can run on low a grade as 91RON with power reduced without any mechanical adjustments needed.

Only one engine ECU, technically - 8A0 907 404CC so no variations to use alternative petrol/engine maps. I say technically, cos right at the end of production, the 16v like other late Corrados got the ignition key immobiliser which needed circuitry in the ECU to work so the ECU is re-part numbered 8A0 907 404L. These must be very rare boxes as the change was October 1994 and not many 16valvers were made after that.

The "CC" version of the ECU is also on the 9A engine in 1991 - 1993 Passats and that is also 95RON.

The 1994 Corrado owners Instruction Manual also states 95RON.

All references are to UNLEADED, cat or non cat.

Can't find any references to 97RON. Would be interested, can you scan the relevant page of your brochure?

Yeah, went there but don't have the "rar" extraction software to support opening the relevant brochures at the mo. Still pushing coal in the back of my PC to keep it going. Thanks all the same C-C.

Interesting, for some reason i was under the impression that using 95ron unleaded was bad for my engine?

if its any help which i dought it is as mines a vr

i run bp ultimate whenever i can as shell optimax made my c run like a bag of arse for some reason (dont know why???)

but 1 thing i can tell you never run shopping center fuel eg morrisons tesco etc i found that to be a bag of arse too!!

stick to name brands if you know what i mean

Cheers Stan. Just being lazy plus the PC is unstable due to McAfee loaded a while back and hopefully will be able to rebuild it over Christmas.

didnt know that tesco even did a 99ron. Ive always gone to Sainsburys garage because they have the super unleaded, OR BP cos of the ultimate. Is 99 ron ok to use, what adustment need to be done. Im running a sns chip too.

I read a newspaper article a few years back that said that the Tescos, sainsburys ect all buy their fuel from the same places as BP and Shell. the only difference is teh additives used after purchasing and the standard the tanks are kept in.

in busy areas like central london the fuel prices are kept low by using the profits from shop sales to subsidise the difference. In light of this Tesco and the larger supermarkets are able to offer more of a price drop in fuel as have more sales other than fuel to fall back on.

didnt know that tesco even did a 99ron. Ive always gone to Sainsburys garage because they have the super unleaded, OR BP cos of the ultimate. Is 99 ron ok to use, what adustment need to be done. Im running a sns chip too.

You dont need to make any adjustment to use a higher ron fuel, it would however allow you to advance the timing a little more without it pinking for more performance!

kewl kewl. Nice to hear that. I need to get mine adjusted anyway since ive had chip and pulley fitted it. Btw does running rich cause any damage. Just cant yet get it done, im in the middle of moving.

i only use the car on wkends and for competing in the vwdrc and was tempted to use the JP racing fuel £40 for a 18ltr barrel at 118ron just wondering if it would actually make much difference than the tesco 99ron