Sign in to follow this  
digga

power steering fluid

Can anyone tell me what type of fluid I need for my 1.8 16v C and how much?

I've got a leak from the hosing and need to drain and refill, any tips on this job would be appreciated..

Cheers!

digga

Power steering fluid.

Make sure you only put the green stuff in.

Most cars use auto transmission fluid which is red but if you put this

in a VW it doesn't do the pump or rack any good.

Trust me I've done it and it cost me a fortune.

I got my green fluid from German and Swedish, called M6162 fluid.

VW dealers'll have it on the shelf too I would imagine. 8)

To which fluid do you refer?

Brake fluid, coolant?

I think the subject of this thread answers that, m8 ;)

lennylogknob, I use the red stuff, thats what the prick at halfords to me.... Could that have anything to do with the squeel I get when turning left slowly? A car mechanic came out with me one nite and said that the noise sounded like the power steering. Its a new pump from G and S so maybe I should return it and try another one as it could be faulty. My steering does feel very heavy but I wasnt sure if that was the 17'teens or the 320 mm steering wheel?

Yep, Halfords told me it would almost certainly be the red auto transmission fluid which I used to top it up, should've checked on the forum :roll: first!

OK, so green M6162 from G&S - how much do I need?

Cheers!

digga

You should only ever use VW specified fluid in the power steering.... so no that red transmission fluid is bad news...

I bought 2 litres and used about 1.5 by the time I'd finished flushing the red stuff out of it.

RAMS, my current VR6 had red fluid in it when I got it and my pump was making strange noises but it wasn't squealing. Have you checked the belt is tight?

I was told that a new pump would cope better with red fluid than a worn pump.

Apparently the red fluid is much thicker than the green stuff and wrecks the seals in double quick time.

I would drain the red stuff out asap and flush it through with the green and the pump should be okay. :D

lennylogknob, Thinking about it, I hardly used that much, it was only to top up from Min to max and then I repeated this process again but it was half way to max so I should'nt have cause that much damage.

The belt isnt slack, I am thinking maybe its too tight. Someone told me that they self adjust to the correct tension?????

It doesnt squeel any other way except on left hand turns at very slow speeds. Its quite a high pitch noise and sounds like a power steering problem.

I want to get it sorted as its bugs me, I hate little noises like that!

Dextron type 2 is vw aproved (or the comma dextron type 2 is anyway ) which is auto transmission fluid and it is red you can always get the slick 50 power steering fluid that contains ptfe which is very good for curing any weeps in the system that is also dextron type 2 certified and sae aproved

Thanks chaps.

Just got 2 litres of M6162 from G&S - Will be flushing out the system and replacing this weekend.

I'm also replacing a split hose (running from the reservoir to the ps pump). After Halfords recommeded the wrong fluid I'm wondering if they've given me the wrong hosing.. I'm sure its the right size, but does this need to be special VW/German hosing or am I ok with the Halfords stuff?

Cheers!

digga

thinking about it. The red stuff on the back did say suitable for VW's. It was dextron 2.

I used Automatic transmission fluid which is also suitable for power steering pumps.

Could it be that it's suitable for VW auto gearboxes but not for VW power steering? :?

I just know that when i refilled my system with it after changing the metal pipes the steering was very heavy and the power assistance failed completely while I was approaching a roundabout at about 90mph and I filled my pants. :o

A certain motor factor admitted they'd supplied the wrong fluid and supplied me a new pump free. :D

If you look at the two fluids together then it's obvious that the dexron is much thicker consistency. The green stuff is like water in comparison. :D

lennylogknob, rite, I will flush it out at the weekend. I know when I had the accident in my car he said the pipe was bent but he straightened it, could that have anything to do with my squeel when turning left at junctions and stuff? A mate said it definitely sounds like a power steering noise and my steering is heavy! I thought that was to do with my samll steering wheel.

I will give it a try and buy a new pipe from VW and see if it sorts it.

How do I change / flush the system?

RAMS, I seem to remember we took the outlet pipe off the pump and (with the car jacked up) turned the steering wheel lock to lock until the resevoir was empty then kept topping up the resevoir until the pump was pumping green fluid out of it.

We checked it again a week later and did it again cos the fluid was brown, it's been fine since.If you've got a Haynes manual for your birds Golf then the procedure is in there to follow.

Have you priced up the metal pipes at VW?

Mine were corroded (on my old 16valve) and had to be replaced for an MOT.

They were about £300 I think so I got some made up at a local hydraulics company for about £80. :D

Good luck mate. :D

lennylogknob, Fuc me!! I are you syre we mean the same thing? Just a power steering pipe? Not a whole new car!

Maybe thats why he said we will straightened it? Could the pipe be kinked or not or does it just bend back again? Becasue it does sound like my pump was training but a louder sort of noise than that. More higher pitch than the noise you hear when your generally turning at slow speeds.

mmmmm, you have got me thinking? I will get it checked out, or maybe someone at the CCCG day have a look? I will pm 16vg60 and see what he says or if anyone wants to help then let me know?

Does anyone have this pipe I need? Ok, I need to put it in parts section.

lenny ain't kidding, I had to get mine done on the 16v 2-3 yrs back and they are well costly from vag - but at mot time what can you do

The green and red PAS fluids are chassis number dependant. You need to check with the dealer. My 94 VR6 uses the red auto transmission fluid and I confirmed with the dealer it is the correct stuff. The green stuff is a light oil for newer generartion VWs. Always use the right one.

Kev

Once I have the car back from the body shop and the subject on th ebraided hoses is known then I will have the pipes looked at and pay vdub a visit from what the garage says.

I hope I dont need a new pipe, I just seem to spend and spend on this car, eventually it will be a brand new car. I hate my car to have a small problem here and there but they are not cheap to fix everything.

We all need to team up and rob the main VW Parts section in Germany and come back with new panels, steering racks and ISV valves, heads the lot! I will hopefully dream of doing the raid!