Sign in to follow this  
Taggart

Handbrake is bent

My handbrake is bent and leans to the drivers side, catches on the side of the centre console as well. I had to take off the handbrake lever trim as it caught and snapped on the side bit.

Am I ok just to bend the handbrake back? What's the best way to do this?

If I am reading your post right then I believe the weld comes loose where the handbrake is mounted to the transmission tunnel- I read a few posts where peoples handbrakes had almost come off!!

If you whip of the side tunnel trim you'll see what I mean. I certainly wouldn't bend it anywhere otherwise you'll just fatigue it even more- prob needs sorting sooner than later :(

Cheers

I did have it all off yesterday and I didn't notice any loose weld, I didn't notice the problem before as my trim was sitting at an angle.

I'll have it off again next time the weathers good, see if I see anything (I did actually have a look around to see if I could see anything, even half undid the bolts to see if anything could be slid)

slightly OT but how do you get the leather handbrake grip off, mines stuck fast... is there a button underneath or something???

ben

there's a little doodar you have to push up...then pull towards the windscreen, be carefull not to put your elbow through the windscreen when it comes off though!

I found it a right PITA getting the handle off, DieselGolfWales has the method above,. Can the weld be hammered/pressured back into position?

I also have this same problem. its not loose at all - just bent (over to drivers side). the center tunnel is also sitting squint as a result.

The handbrake assembly is bolted to a piece of steel that is spotwelded to the tunnel. Over time this piece of steel develops a tear that eventually lengthens and detaches completely.

Best way to repair it is by having this piece of steel properly welded back to the tunnel.

I did this on my Rado and it has been fine ever since.

But as said earlier - the metal spot welded to the frame has no tears etc in - it just seems the lever or the brackets connected to the lever are bent.

Yeh mines solid but it leans over to drivers side as well, take all the trim off and push like hell, sound

suspect it will snap sometime tho if its bent as mine started that way then came completely off. Not good

Had the exact same problem. Tried various things including hammering weld back in and using a big washer etc but these remedies all failed eventually.

This is an automatic MOT failure so best getting it welded back.

Got the bracket welded back on for about £40 - a small price to pay for peace of mind and another year on the road.