Sign in to follow this  
Bally

Looked @ a C lastnite...

had a look at a C 1.8 16v lastnite, on a G, it was a tidy car, in white, the owner & his dad had spent alot of time and £ on it, 17's, lowered 40mm, cross drilled brakes all round, stainless exhaust, I'm happy buying a modded one, as I'll end up modding it anyway! thing was its up for £2550, but has 145k on the clock, runs really nice, tappets were a little noisy at first (cold start up) once it got going it was abit slow on the aceleration! but as you got the revs up it went well.

Bodywork was tidy, no major rust, apart from top of the front screen. the lowest they were willing to take was £2300, but I reckon its worth more £2k, the owner hadn't told me the correct mileage, theres abit of history which proves the mileage! but after a run, we left it running, and I noticed an oil drip on the front wheel, which the owner quickly wipped off, the head gasket seemed fine, and I noticed that whilst reving the car, it took a little while for the revs to drop back down! the power steering belt was making a screeching noise on full lock, were as the owners has told me he'd replaced the belt.

no visual smoke though, but for the mileage I do, I couldn't buy it, plus it had 6 owners, which from a sellers point, if I was to sell it on, is a far few!

what do you think chaps?

I'm not exactly an expert, but I'm pretty sure that my gut instinct would have been to walk away from it... (judging from what you said)

I'm sure you can do better than that one mate.

As I think has been discussed in other threads, there's nothing wrong with having 145K miles, as long as the necessary work has been done at the right time in it's life. Sounds to me like they've done some of the work it needed, but maybe left it a little late?

DtM.

Bally

I think the price is a bit steep. First of all, the money they have spent on it is only to keep it in its current condition so don't pay over the odds for that. Secondly its white which will be harder to sell on plus it does have 145K on the clock and 6 previous owners. Thirdly I'd get the oil drip checked out during a second look at the car, might be nothing could be something.

As a guide have a look at the Bordeaux Pearl 1.8 16v on the Scottish Corrado owners site @ http://www.kf010a4571.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Page 2 of the members section. This car was sold last year for around 2200 with low owners, FSH, 110K and was in excellent condition with a top end rebuild having just been done. I'd say that the car you're looking at would be worth 1.8 - 2K tops.

HTH

Paul

I think the price is too high for this car, John William is selling his magazine featured corrado 1.8 16v in this months golf magazine. its priced around 4K but alot of money has been spent on it and its totally worth it.

Bally - sounds like you can do alot better than that. Also, it being a white car should make it even cheaper as they are alot harder to sell. keep looking and don't be tempted to rush into anything - there are plenty of good ones out there for sale!

Cheers

Mark

Cheers for the replies guys, the car itself was tidy, really liked it, but as said they may have left bits to late, they had done all the services themselves, but no receipt of a cambelt change.

Hi Paul, that corrado seems nice too..

I've seen another one of the trader, but the cars in Preston! its mean to have 87k on the clock needs some TLC, and paint, its up for £2250, I've been sent some pics of it, but the drivers seat is worn, which makes me think somethings not right??

majik I saw that car, looks lovely, shame I don't have 4k...

Bally - sounds like you can do alot better than that. Also, it being a white car should make it even cheaper as they are alot harder to sell. keep looking and don't be tempted to rush into anything - there are plenty of good ones out there for sale!

Cheers

Mark

Cheers mark

I'm looking, wasn't aware that white cars are harder to shift! the other thing is no1 seems interested in my car now its for sale! :roll:

had a look at a C 1.8 16v lastnite, on a G, it was a tidy car, in white, the owner & his dad had spent alot of time and £ on it, 17's, lowered 40mm, cross drilled brakes all round, stainless exhaust, I'm happy buying a modded one, as I'll end up modding it anyway! thing was its up for £2550, but has 145k on the clock, runs really nice, tappets were a little noisy at first (cold start up) once it got going it was abit slow on the aceleration! but as you got the revs up it went well.

Bodywork was tidy, no major rust, apart from top of the front screen. the lowest they were willing to take was £2300, but I reckon its worth more £2k, the owner hadn't told me the correct mileage, theres abit of history which proves the mileage! but after a run, we left it running, and I noticed an oil drip on the front wheel, which the owner quickly wipped off, the head gasket seemed fine, and I noticed that whilst reving the car, it took a little while for the revs to drop back down! the power steering belt was making a screeching noise on full lock, were as the owners has told me he'd replaced the belt.

no visual smoke though, but for the mileage I do, I couldn't buy it, plus it had 6 owners, which from a sellers point, if I was to sell it on, is a far few!

what do you think chaps?

Right my 2p....

First noisy tappets is normal on a 1.8 16V as long as dissapears within 20- 30 secs.... if still noisy then you have worn lifters / tappets.... at 145k I would ask if the head has been off yet as most require a rebuild at around 100 - 110k miles.....

1.8 16V engine is slow up to around 3500rpm before it gets into its stride then takes off pretty quickly - it certainly shouldnt feel slow then.... on a engine with that mileage I would insist that I could compression test it to check the bottom end is in good nick...

Rust at top of screen means windscreen has been replaced and by the sounds of it not a good job either....

Oil drip on front wheel sounds like leaking CV boot? - Owner was aware of it and tried to hide it so would be cautious as hell!

Revs dropping down slowly is either a sticky throttle cable or a worn fuel regulator...

If belt screeching on full lock either belt not adjusted properly (if its been changed then likely!) or the pump is worn.... given mileage I would say look at the pump...

From what you have told me I'd walk away quickly....

Either way there are much better examples to be had (avoid red, white or yellow) for less money - you just need to look hard and take your time (be patient - the right car will come up - I took 4 month to find mine).... also avoid early F / G reg's with dismal wind up windows, etc....

Cheers for your reponse Scott..

I'm glad i did walk away, it did looks very nice though..

ok, theres another C, its done 87k in dark green its on a G plate, got some history, and has most of the MOT's.. car reqs TLC, got 17's on it, new rear shocks, discs and pads, cambelt was done at 60k, all the electrics work, the interior is dark, but the drivers seat is worn. I've been sent pics as the car is quite far away. The chap selling it has it up for over 2k, but from chatting to him, he doesnt no much about the car, just drove it, and serviced it.. I think I can get this car for a silly price, but does depend on the engine being sweet etc..

what you think scott?

Cheers for your reponse Scott..

I'm glad i did walk away, it did looks very nice though..

ok, theres another C, its done 87k in dark green its on a G plate, got some history, and has most of the MOT's.. car reqs TLC, got 17's on it, new rear shocks, discs and pads, cambelt was done at 60k, all the electrics work, the interior is dark, but the drivers seat is worn. I've been sent pics as the car is quite far away. The chap selling it has it up for over 2k, but from chatting to him, he doesnt no much about the car, just drove it, and serviced it.. I think I can get this car for a silly price, but does depend on the engine being sweet etc..

what you think scott?

The trouble is mate most Corrados can look nice with a bit of a spit and polish - but its only by looking under the surface that you start to see the sheds.... hence you need look VERY carefully....

I think you should again find another car..... Any Corrado that requires TLC simply hasnt been looked after properly.... they are built very well.... for £2k ish you should be able to pick up a mint J plate 1.8 16V with sensible miles and a FSH....

1990 VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO 1.8 16V 3dr Coupe, unmodified, tax & mot (nov), cat 1 alarm/immobiliser, private plate, fvwsh, history, corrado club member, vgc inside & out. ono, no canvassers. 101000 miles. . . . . (private) more info

£2,190

*multi-photos H Reg Volkswagen Corrado 1.8 16v E M C Performance Blue, Coupe, 101,000 miles . Adjustable Steering Column, Alarm, active rear spoiler, Alloys, Electric Adjustable Mirror, Electric Slide/Tilt Steel Sunroof, Electric Windows, FSH, HPi clear, Immobilizer, . . . . (trade) more info

£2,195 62 miles

1991 VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO 1.8 16v dark metalic blue, 123000 miles,e/windows, e/mirrors,e/sunroof,c/l,fsh,tax mot,alarm,alloys, karman sports interior,6 cd changer. first to see will buy. 123000 . . . . (private) more info

£2,195

Its finding a low mileage one though, I would like a J plater, were are the above cars advertised?

You DO NOT need low mileage!!! - You need LOOKED AFTER! *:)

Entertain anything with average miles and a FSH in excellent condition and you wont go wrong... my old one had 110k on it and was immaculate! - Cleaner than my VR6 I reckon !

87K and the drivers seat is worn? :shock: That sounds a bit iffy to me - my car has done near on 120K and the seats look almost new :) .

You usually see a bit of wear on the bolster nearest the drivers door on high mileage cars - or if they have been driven by fat blokes :lol:

As Scott says - you shouldn't let the high mileage put you off if it's been looked after. 16V's actually get FASTER as the mileage increases :o

Cheers

Mark

16V's actually get FASTER as the mileage increases :o

Cheers

Mark

At the risk of threadjacking, I've heard people say this sort of thing before... how is this possible? I've heard terms such as 'loosening up' and the like, but what's the deal with this?

Just curious...

DtM.

87K and the drivers seat is worn? :shock: That sounds a bit iffy to me - my car has done near on 120K and the seats look almost new :) .

You usually see a bit of wear on the bolster nearest the drivers door on high mileage cars - or if they have been driven by fat blokes :lol:

As Scott says - you shouldn't let the high mileage put you off if it's been looked after. 16V's actually get FASTER as the mileage increases :o

Cheers

Mark

Thats what got me thinking Mark...

The only reason I'm after a low mileage one is that I no I'll put alot of miles on it, and then don't want to get stuck a C I can't sell on...

I don't mind red cars, just my mrs hates em! :roll:

I think Red, white and Yellow cars suffer from the dredded 'paint fade' more than the other colours. I've seen some red Corrado's that look pink :shock: Having said that, a nice shiny Red C with good paint looks the knuts IMO. White and Yellow are just less popular colours than the metallic's and black - I think it's the same for all cars really.

Cheers

Mark