Sign in to follow this  
Rhodri

Tuning 2.0 16v

I have a k&n panel filter (air box isnt drilled), kr inlet cam and a miltek system with de cat pipe and a jmr down pipe.

I also have a ported and gas flowed throttle body waiting to go on. What other mods can i do to give her a bit more go?

You can get quite a bit extra out of the 16V engine but it will cost a lot more than tuning a G60... have a chat with Flusted and Phil (not me) on here - they've both got healthy BHP from their engines KR and 9A...

HTH

How much work would you say it is to do a G60 conversion or would a 1.8t be better?

Hope i dont sound like a dick asking these questions but my knowledge of VW'S isnt that great.

if you're going to the hasstle of an engine swap you might as well go the whole hog and fit a 1.8t, its more tunable than the g60 anyway. I think the going rate is somewhere close to 2.5k for the labour then the cost of the engine on top of that.

a slightly cheaper option would be to turbo the engine you have, but i'd suggest getting it rebuilt first so you know its going to hold up to the power.

With the 1.8T you will have more choice and the engines are newer and likely to have less miles, if you want a G60 just buy a factory fitted original as they can be had for as little as 2-3 grand for a nice one

Depends how much more power you want.

I agree with Flusted about a flowed head. For road use I would stick with the KR cam set up, I've not tried two exhaust cams so can't comment on them.

New injectors made a noticable difference on mine at around 140K miles.

Make sure it is all set up properly to make full use of what you have.

it also depends how much power your looking for... you should be able to get 160bhp ish from a valver with the mods that have been mentioned - if thats not enough then you would be better thnking about selling up and putting your cash into a VR or a G60.... imho of course!!! :)