Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Gauges

Must...have...gauges :twisted:

So i've ended up with 4 options !

1. Fit the 2 gauge pod in the lower centre consule, it is well made and fits really very well, but i'm worried it will look like a pair of night vision goggles!!

2. Fit the Audi gauges where the ash try is.

3. Fit the Audi gauges where the stereo is and stick that where the ash try is.

4. Wait for someone to sell me an original late RHD 2 gauge set, about as likely as me doing a CVH conversion on my C, unfortunately!

I'm thinking 3, as it would make all the av stereo wires a lot easier to handle down there, but i dont trust myself with a dremel to do a neat job, and if it looks like a bodge i dont want it done. :p

What say the experts?

lippy is just in the process of this and it`s looking pretty good, he said dremels are very good and has a few pointers of what to and not to do

have a look at his gallery or PM him

ben

Cheers Ben, i had a quick look at lippy's in the flesh at stealth day and have viewed the post. Looked good, im just scared to hit into the consule without a spare which im having problems getting. Im also worried about breathing on the blasted heater controls, they are just about useable at the mo!

how much hassle will it be to fit guages where the ashtray is, i`m looking to do this soon but cant be arsed to move my stereo

easiest is a pillar mount with 2 or 3 in there as the important gauges are no use at all down in the center console!

Depends what you want to put in there, can i ask?

Chris

Oooooo You just missed out as I just sold my Original RHD 2 gauge pod - so many people saying that they would have loved it but the post was on here ages before it sold!

I definately wouldn't fit that 2 gauge pod, I'm not liking them at all! Personally I sold my 2 gauge pod to put in the Audi 3 gauge pod where the ashtray is. Make sure you get the pod with them gauges angled towards the driver as looks sooooo much better! I picked mine up for a tenner without gauges! Easy enough to do just remember not to go mad at it, just little bit at a time!

NickVR6, If you can, wait for another week or so before commiting to anything, I still have a possible source of RHD late vdos. I have ordered a set for myself and if they turn up, I'll enquire about how many are left. If it all goes to plan, I'll post the details of the supplier in my original thread, but please be patient for the next week or so.

I am attacking the centre console with my Dremel tonight...so I'll try and get some pics whilst I am at it.

Dremel cut through the plastic very easily, but I think I would try and mount the gauges where the ashtray is intially and shape the Audi gauge holder with the dremel - then you can decide whether the stereo is better off fitted lower or not.

Im with Chris, the gauges are little use down by the gearstick, I can just glance at mine (still novelty value :lol:) whilst driving rather than totally looking away from the road!

I've just sent Ben a big PM about this so if I get chance I will try and write a how to with part #s etc

NickVR6, If you can, wait for another week or so before commiting to anything, I still have a possible source of RHD late vdos. I have ordered a set for myself and if they turn up, I'll enquire about how many are left. If it all goes to plan, I'll post the details of the supplier in my original thread, but please be patient for the next week or so.

interested in these as well phil.........

What clocks are those you've got? I've never seen a C redline at 7000 before, not even a valver!

i put mine here

16.jpg

that's not exactly head-up-display is it Alex :lol:

I suppose it's not much different to the centre console bin, but don't your knees get in the way?

What clocks are those you've got? I've never seen a C redline at 7000 before, not even a valver!

Redlimit for a valver is around 7400rpm so all the valver clocks should go to 8k.

In yet another twist I plan on using the original VW RHD early gauge pod that I got from blue-joe at the weekend (Cheers sam) and having a crack at making one from aluminium when I get chance, anyone interested in that instead?

Nick I am not keen on the e-bay ones it just looks a bit nasty IMO.

nope i get a perfect view of the oil preasure and volts

A/F i need to move slightly forward but thats it and at least its not in ur face

even if i have other guys in the car they can see it

Its a SWG item which angles the dials and i turned it to it faced me :)

and yes my clocks at 16v ones as my car was original a 1.8 16v

aposegil, just had a sit in the car and there is suprisingly little difference in looking at the ashtray or the fuse cover (if you know what i mean) might have a look there when i get mine 8)

yep i know what you mean :)

I like it as whne you look in the car its not in ur face and looks clean inside but im shocked no one ever done it the way ive done it before

Yeah, Ive ordered a set of the genuine vdos too probably from the same place. Apparently, they talked to their guy in germany on monday afternoon who says they are definately still available and are being sent to the uk by the end of the week! I think the amount of requests to vw for them has prompted vdo to churn a few reissues out maybe....Will wait and see though, its looking good mind..

im just on with this,but im not sure im keen on it so i may go with my original idea :wink: just used an old stereo as a template.

if i do carry on with it,ive got a couple of tricks to finish it off in a tidy way :)

neil.

vdogaugefitting1.jpg

made a wiring loom for the gauges :D

they light up red in real life though,feckin camera :roll:

but...is there a panel that will fit straight into the stereo place with no cutting?

and,anyone got a vdo boost gauge -1-1.5 bar? like pic.

neil.

vdogaugeswiringloom.jpg

vdoboostgauge.jpg

Iam in the process of fitting the double gauges off ebay. But does any one know were to get gauges that light up green? Iam wanting to keep the dash looking as original as pos. Or is it possible to take the gauges apart and paint or replace the bulbs? If so how difficult is it?

Cheers once again fella's / ladies

not sure if any light up green m8 :( think theres just white/clear and red?

they can be taken apart,takes some doing though!

theres 2 ways.

one is to ping over the edge of the black surround,and one is to use a junior hack saw and basically cut a little way through the white back all the way round.

will have to be carefull either way really!

the ones that light up red have a filter inside that could be swapped for something else i think?

ive tidyed the panel up a bit today using alacantara (and done something else too :wink: ) still not happy with it tbh...

neil.

gaugesandheaterpanel1.jpg

gaugesandheaterpanel2.jpg