Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

VR6 Highline versus a Nissan 200sx

Hello

Please help me........

I sold my C g60 months ago and I now have saved enough money for a new car. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a MK3 golf Vr6 highline (classy, VR6, VW, cheaper to insure) or a nissan 200sx (faster, different, looks better, more exciting).

I am going out of my head thinking about this so any opnions?? I am hopefully going to drive some at the weekend but anyone owned either of these? What are they like in the real world? I know with the nissan i will need to be careful over the next few months in the wet and ice but will this not matter once the summer comes.

I dont drive to many miles so MPG isnt that important, although these two cars are ABOUT the same.

Please help me.......

thanks

Own a 200 at the moment.... the 200 is in a different league to the Golf... the 200 is better handling, more refined and faster and easily tunable :D

You do need to make sure the 200 has DECENT tyres and it will be fine in the wet ;)

thanks scott

Your 200 looks mint. 290bhp 8) :evil: got to respect that.

I think the golf only really appeals to me because i have always had VW. Seen a 98 s14a with 82000 full service history Nismo coilovers and a new clutch and brakes for £4995 (looking to pay £4500) black with the black leather interior that I will hopefully go to look at his weekend.

Hard pressed to get a car that looks quite as mean I think this side of a R33 skyline.

I'd go with the Golf. Main reason being that it's not a Nissan.

Funny thing is I thought that until I bought a Nissan... I was a die hard VW fan but after the Corrado no other VW was worth bothering with :lol:

I WILL one day own another VR6 Corrado but for now I am enjoying the 200 - its a superb car and so much better than the Golf :wink:

thanks scott

Your 200 looks mint. 290bhp 8) :evil: got to respect that.

I think the golf only really appeals to me because i have always had VW. Seen a 98 s14a with 82000 full service history Nismo coilovers and a new clutch and brakes for £4995 (looking to pay £4500) black with the black leather interior that I will hopefully go to look at his weekend.

Hard pressed to get a car that looks quite as mean I think this side of a R33 skyline.

By the way NISMO suspension is DEFINATELY worth having... 8)

290bhp is just the start ;) - looking for 350bhp + after Xmas 8)

Jap cars are for Jap enthusiasts!

I have had 7 Skylines at one and driven them all but still always preferred to drive the Corrado home, now i know ine isn't a standard VR6 and the Vortech charger transforms the drive but it's faster than most of the Skylines and handles better and i would say the same over the 200!

I've raced a few 200's and they can be fast though i've not been beaten by one yet!

The 200 can be very well mannered then be an animal, it's refined and has air con but it can be boring too, i'm pro Corrado mind but the 200 just doesn't turn me on, save up another £1500 and get a nice Skyline which is what a 200sx really wants to be anyway.

Chris

Jap cars are for Jap enthusiasts!

I have had 7 Skylines at one and driven them all but still always preferred to drive the Corrado home, now i know ine isn't a standard VR6 and the Vortech charger transforms the drive but it's faster than most of the Skylines and handles better and i would say the same over the 200!

I've raced a few 200's and they can be fast though i've not been beaten by one yet!

The 200 can be very well mannered then be an animal, it's refined and has air con but it can be boring too, i'm pro Corrado mind but the 200 just doesn't turn me on, save up another £1500 and get a nice Skyline which is what a 200sx really wants to be anyway.

Chris

You sir, are a legend in my books.

Definately S14A 200sx. Sooo much car for the money. Rarer than the Golf. Better looking than the Golf. More Kudos than the Golf. Faster than the Golf. Better MPG than the Golf. Much cheaper and easier to tune than the Golf. If looked after, should be more reliable than the Golf.

Who cares if it's a 'Nissan' :roll: This is the company that has made some classic Z cars (including the current 350Z 8) and the Skyline! That's a pretty good heritage if you ask me, with no stigma whatsoever. I suppose some people think Nissan's are crap because they're Japanese and make Micras too :roll:

Definately S14A 200sx. Sooo much car for the money. Rarer than the Golf. Better looking than the Golf. More Kudos than the Golf. Faster than the Golf. Better MPG than the Golf. Much cheaper and easier to tune than the Golf. If looked after, should be more reliable than the Golf.

Who cares if it's a 'Nissan' :roll: This is the company that has made some classic Z cars (including the current 350Z 8) and the Skyline! That's a pretty good heritage if you ask me, with no stigma whatsoever. I suppose some people think Nissan's are crap because they're Japanese and make Micras too :roll:

Now a man that talks sense :lol: 8) :wink:

Defo the 200, especially an S14a :)

Ive had two of them, and two VR C's, and although I love my C, the 200 was the dogs too!!!

A Golf is.....a Golf, whichever way you look at it, and the Mk3 is probably the worst looking Golf VW ever made IMO.

Go for a test drive in a 200 and you'll be converted ;)

On the subject of Skylines, while they are an excellent car, a 200 can be made to perform as well as one, if not better, but wont cost you as much to fix if it does break. Id say thats the big selling point for a 200. Also check out http://www.sxoc.com

Sounds like a no brainer to me..I would definitley get the 200S14A

Just look at scott's, not many VR's that can match that... 8)

Ive driven my mates 200sx many times and although faster, quicker and probably more fun on the handling stakes due to being rear wheel drive I have to say that the vr6 I had just drove so much nicer, I suppose its horses for courses but having that gorgeous V6 just pull you along on a crest of power suited me and my everyday driving style much better than the rev happy turbo surge of the 200sx did. And the only way to get a 200sx to sound nice is to put a perf exhaust on and a dump valve which would get on my tits for everyday, but who would get fed up of that V6 :). Only one more thing to say.......shut the door on both and listen to the noise, then work out which you would rather be in if things turned nasty. After all that just a personal opinion and ultimately follow your heart. good luck

The 200 is probably the better car overall but I have never liked the jellymould styling at all. Head says 200, heart says Highline.

The Mk3 is not a bad looking car at all if styled properly. It is be no means a bad looking car though.

Aye... a few of the 200 guys have gone to a Skyline after owning the 200 and being dissapointed so sold them and went back to the 200...

The 200's strong point is weight... it weighs just 1250Kg in a RWD chassis with LSD with 200bhp/200lbft torque as standard.... you tune them to 'stage 1' and you have a car that can give most road cars a run for there money and pulling 13 sec quarters...

To tune to stage 1 using new parts is £1100 ;) - cheaper if use 2nd hand parts :D

Ive driven my mates 200sx many times and although faster, quicker and probably more fun on the handling stakes due to being rear wheel drive I have to say that the vr6 I had just drove so much nicer, I suppose its horses for courses but having that gorgeous V6 just pull you along on a crest of power suited me and my everyday driving style much better than the rev happy turbo surge of the 200sx did. And the only way to get a 200sx to sound nice is to put a perf exhaust on and a dump valve which would get on my tits for everyday, but who would get fed up of that V6 :). Only one more thing to say.......shut the door on both and listen to the noise, then work out which you would rather be in if things turned nasty. After all that just a personal opinion and ultimately follow your heart. good luck

Got to disagree with that.... I still have the standard DV as I HATE CHAV dump valves with passion... they are SOOOO gay :D ... but if you put a decent exhaust on with decat and induction kit (apexi) they sound gorgeous....

My VR6 sounded wonderful with its ram air kit on it but the 200 is very close to that sound :lol: - makes my garage door vibrate when I start it up :D

The 200 is probably the better car overall but I have never liked the jellymould styling at all. Head says 200, heart says Highline.

The Mk3 is not a bad looking car at all if styled properly. It is be no means a bad looking car though.

Jellymould styling :shock: - lol compared the mk3 Golf? :lol:

JAE2005020.jpg

Hehe, I think it's pretty much a full gone conclusion the 200 is way way better

Its good but I'd still have a Corrado VR6 8)

But I have long gone since given up finding a good one but if anyone wants to swap my 200 for a mint VR6 Corrado then would be interested :lol:

Thank you for all the advice, and the decision is...........

I am now a proud owner of a 200SX, black with black leather interior, Nismo suspension, FSH, 82000 miles on the clock. I love it. I will have to come to the next meet and show all those Nissan nay-sayers what a 200sx can do!

Thanks again