Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Coxy, very impressive, but way too much work for me.

...I haven't even used a soldering iron since school mate, let alone weld stuff :oops:

Think I'm going to mount the 24v on new VR gearbox and rear mounts with a VT front mount, then get the DP made and use the existing VR cooling pipes etc.

Then as I understand it I only need to use a smaller coller on the gearbox mount and lower the front mount somehow, or something like that! :)

Dutch

moving the engine over and inch so the downpipe fits is just cheating

and, IMO, WRONG!!)

(just to wind coxy up!! ;-) )

You just keep tapping that downpipe of yours with a hammer :lol:

and I will sit smugly in my 'Centralised mass' engined corraco lol

Stan, can you also ask if he had any issues with mounting her properly on the VR mounts, and if so what and how he got around them?

Another thing I've just thought of, will I be able to use VAG-COM when she's wired up?? Do I have to wire the connectors to the new ECU, or is that just going to work as the loom has already been adapted for the C??

Dutch

so will it be an inch out of line to use a mk4 box if you mount it on the vr mounts?

not sure what you mean here. the mk4 rear diff is enormous so will throw the driveshafts out even if it were dead center IIRC.

I think thats what you were asking was it not?

yip thats it, so what are you doing about drive shafts, are using mk4 or rallye or custom?

custom mate.

cost me about 250 quid. Would have only cost me 125 had I measured them correctly in the first place...... :oops:

a shortened 4motion one, its loads lighter than the syncro one, and seeing as though I am using the haldex I thought it rude not to do it

Just spoke to Andy, he's a bit behind as he had to get rid of a mk2 1.8T which he was converting first.

He has sat the engine in the car to see how it all fits etc, and its now back out. He is making the wiring loom for it, and seeing how the clocks will fit.

He is also repainting the block to make it look brand new again, and has also painted the gearbox.

With regards to the exhaust, he hasnt looked into it properly yet, but if he does do as above, with the twin CATS, then there wont be a problem making more DP's after that. So Dutch you're in mate ;)

Stan, wicked news, thanks mate!!

So he's going to mount it on VR mounts too then? Can you let us know how he gets on with that please?

Cheers again mate,

Dutch

Dutch. I have already done everything that you keep asking about and are waiting to see how he gets on......

It sits straight on VR mounts no problem.

Jay

Jay, but I thought you said somewhere that a smaller collar is needed on the gearbox mount and the front mount needs lowering a little?

Dutch

Nothing needs doing to the gearbox mount at all, it fits straight on.

If you want the engine to fit with the cover on you need to lower the front mount a touch (5/10mm), but not essential. You will however have to remove the rib from the bonnet. (not true for an R32)

Jay

Ahh, OK. My misunderstanding somewhere then.

Kewl, liking the sound of that.

One thing I've been wondering - does the R32 intake fit on the 24v? I presume not otherwise you'd have fitted one yourself surely?

Dutch