Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Uprated batteries (Optima tc etc)

Just a note to anyone interested in an Optima battery...

Ignore the advice in this thread that suggests the standard cables will reach the terminals of the Optima with the SAE terminal arrangement (the ones with the R in the middle). The cables on my 16v are at least two inches too short.

This isn't a problem for me since I have the tools and equipment to re-make the cables but be careful if you're not in that position and need a straightforward swap. It's worth noting that my standard cables would (I think) have reached the reverse terminal version of the same battery - the RT-S4.2 - mentioned earlier in the thread.

With the Optima you're also getting a good increase in maximum cranking current. What's CCA rating is your Bosch dr_mat?

Dunno. There's a figure on the top of the battery that says "640 amps", but I don't know how that's measured, or under what temperature etc conditions. It could even be a notional "10*capacity" figure that they stamp on there without actually measuring it at all.

A higher max rating doesn't really mean much, it's how that current drops as the battery charge decreases that's important. Once it drops below about 200 amps, you're going to struggle to start a VR6. The smaller engines it might require less...

BTW. Think my Bosch is definitely defunct. It's down to 12.2v today, compared to 12.4 yesterday. Clearly not holding charge - and considering I've driven it for getting on for 50 minutes yesterday, and that's using two starts, I think it should be fully charged.

Based purely on the above specifications, if you rarely use your car, YT is better. If you use the car regularly, RT is better.

RIGHT!! EXCUSE THE CAPITALS, HAVE TO MAKE THIS POST STAND OUT.

IF YOU WANT A BATTERY, THEM EMAIL ME ON mailto:[email protected] WITH THE SUBJECT "OPTIMA", DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ELSE I THE SUBJET FEILD AS MY OUTLOOK WON'T BE ABLE TO SORT THE EMAIL.

EMAIL ME THE PRICE OF THE ITEM YOU WANT ALONG WITH IT'S PART NUMBER, YOUR FORUM NAME, AND A CONTACT EMAIIL OR PHONE NUMBER.

ONCE i HAVE 50 PEOPLE i WILL SEND THEM TO OPTIMA AND WE WILL GET DEALER PRICES AND CAN BUY.

CHEERS

PAUL

Three years warranty on Bosch car batteries from GSF, you say?

So the fact that I *actually* fitted it in August 2002 means I'm screwed, you would say? :(

Having found the receipt it's been on the car slightly longer than I thought. Damn, that means I've had the car slightly longer than I thought, too..!

A higher max rating doesn't really mean much, it's how that current drops as the battery charge decreases that's important. Once it drops below about 200 amps, you're going to struggle to start a VR6. The smaller engines it might require less...

I'd argue that point.

I don't know what the compression ratios of the VR6 or 1.8 16v are, but my 570CCA battery didn't exactly have an easy time when starting the car from cold, even when the battery was new. I read on the Optima site that their batteries can also deliver high starting current for longer than a standard equivalent battery.

I can't tell you how well my Optima starts the car as I only got the chance to re-make the earth cables tonight before I lost the light. I'll finish the job in the morning and see what's what.

I'll concede your argument, since I've never tried to start a 16v by hand ...

But in general, the bigger the engine the higher the amperage required to start it. You maybe also have earthing issues that make it worse. Check the resistance between the engine block and the battery for a pointer on that.

good point, I never asked.

I think they will be,as they will all be going to seperate adresses, not delivered in bulk to one site.

Still a total bargain!

I finished re-cabling this morning and can confirm that the Optima starts a 1.8 16v (that's sat outside in below-freezing conditions for over a week) with absolute ease.

Get these batteries people. You know it makes sense.

I've had a very disappointing 2 people contact me so far.......a long way off 50......see page 9 please.

Ignore the advice in this thread that suggests the standard cables will reach the terminals of the Optima with the SAE terminal arrangement (the ones with the R in the middle). The cables on my 16v are at least two inches too short.

This isn't a problem for me since I have the tools and equipment to re-make the cables but be careful if you're not in that position and need a straightforward swap. It's worth noting that my standard cables would (I think) have reached the reverse terminal version of the same battery - the RT-S4.2 - mentioned earlier in the thread.

fitted my optima yellow top,and i found the battery leads reached no problem :)

FORGET IT

GROUP BUY CLOSED.

ONLY 3 PEOPLE INTERESTED. 50 IS GOING TO BE TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO ACHIEVE.

fitted my optima yellow top,and i found the battery leads reached no problem :)

It seems the VR6 has longer standard battery leads than the 1.8 16v!

It's a shame this GB died because it's a good opportunity. Maybe this a good time to re-post the details of STORM 2s supplier?

topic title changed.

mods please move out of group buys.

it's worth keeping the thread going as there's some good battery info here.

As one of the three, my thanks to Paul :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: for trying his hardest to get this going. As the car is still months of being on the road I shall sit it out until the rest of your batteries die a horrible death by full discharge and you come begging back to this cancelled group buy pleading for it to be resurrected :p

It's a glorious feeling to be able to go to the car and know it's going to start after months of daily battery recharges!

Man I hope mine's not knackered.. it's only two years old...!

3 year warranty tho remember mate...

latest ones have a 4 year warranty

latest ones have a 4 year warranty

I think I'd still go for a Halfords Calcium tho - my mate works there and says they don't get many back (even under the 4 year warranty) and they shift so many that the shelf life is always low...

It's a glorious feeling to be able to go to the car and know it's going to start after months of daily battery recharges!

Good good, another satisfied Optima customer!

Unless you regularly go on 3 month holidays or something, the Optima is a real fit and forget battery.

Optima: They're well known in ICE circles I take it?

My Bosch was a fit and forget for the first three years too, but now that I regularly leave the car standing for a week at a time (just because I can walk to work), it goes flat in this cold weather.

I really have to find out which electrical circuit is draining the power ..