Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Spoiler & spoiler pick wierdness

2 questions really.

1. Why does every single program i've ever seen on tv featuring the corrado allways state that the rear spoiler comes up at 45 miles per hour, when mine comes up at 55?

2. When people take static shots of their C's, why 95% of the time do they put their rear spoiler up? although i have to admit to getting a kick out of people following me in the morning and pointing when it pops up (oh err missus), I really think parked up it looks cack and untidy. Is it to prove that it works?

Assume this is a personal taste thing, and i'm prepared to be shot down in flames :oops:

em... am not 100% sure but some models (dunno if this is an early/late or vr6 issue) are set to come up at 55mph... tho this can be changed by doing something to the relay????? (please dont all shout at me if i am wrong....) Daves new C brings its spoiler up at 55, but i honestly havent noticed on mine which is also an L reg... maybe its an aqua blue vr thing... :wink:

i prefer the look of it down in pics too... looks prettier...

1. i'm sure mine comes up at 45mph and goes down at 12mph

2. most peeps take pics when they have just polished so the spoiler is still up

jay has took the fuse out of his spoiler as he says he doesn't like the look of it up

Early Corrados had the spoiler go up @ 45mph, later ones 54mph. Not exactly sure of the changeover date but if you do a search it'll be there.

I agree with the spoiler looking a bit silly up when the vehicle is parked, but I haven't seen many pics like that...

Its all done by a resistor. There is a write up available on the forum if you wish to change it ;)

I am actually considering making a tailgate with the spoiler made from metal and actually welded and smoothed in. I think they look ar5e when they are up, very messy.

Jay

I am actually considering making a tailgate with the spoiler made from metal and actually welded and smoothed in. I think they look ar5e when they are up, very messy.

Jay

I've thought about that too.

Agreed, the spoiler does look a little untidy when raised. If it wasn't for the fact 911s etc use pop up spoilers too, I'd have clamped it down years ago for fear of embarrassment, but it still has a retro charm to it ;-)

I don't really like the look of them up when they're parked up but when I'm driving I love watching it pop up (As well as paying attention to the road, obviously!).

Its got novelty value I suppose, not many other cars have one!

Does it not pop up at speed for a reason though? I remember Henny saying he'd tested J-DUB with spoiler up and down at speeds in the corners and she felt a little ropey with it down.

Yep, with it up there should be less 'rear end wiggle'. I does look better down but the 'going up & down' is part of the Corrado and I wouldn't change it. Certainly wouldn't have it up all the time.. :)

Ive just whipped this up; Courtesy of OSV (hope you dont mind!!) As an alternative spoiler, roughly along the same lines as Jay i think (welded and smoothed in). Ive had this idea for a little while also. 8)

What do you think? Can you tell what car the spoilers from? And do you like it...?

Nick

Ive just whipped this up; Courtesy of OSV (hope you dont mind!!) As an alternative spoiler, roughly along the same lines as Jay i think (welded and smoothed in). Ive had this idea for a little while also. 8)

What do you think? Can you tell what car the spoilers from? And do you like it...?

I think is what Jay meant was making a metal version of the existing spoiler, but joining in the gaps so it never moves.

That 'chop looks a bit odd to me - it doesn't really match the lines of the rest of the car.

LOL, good effort :-)

I've driven mine with the spoiler bypassed and couldn't really detect any difference. The theory behind it is sound, but in practice it's more of a gimmick....there had to be something that justified the huge extra cost over a Golf and Scirocco!

Feel quite sorry for my spoiler cos it happily goes up and down on every journey desperate for my attention....but I take it for granted these days and never even notice it!! Must admit it does look quite cool in 'attack mode' nailing it on the outside lane of the motorway, but from the inside it just blocks your rear vision. Much prefer it 'at rest'.

Must admit it does look quite cool in 'attack mode' nailing it on the outside lane of the motorway

Now if only you could get the interior light to come on red it would really feel like an attack mode :roll:

I've had problems with my controller personally.... but like the look. I just don't like the fact mines setup for German Autobahn's and comes up at 80mph (tested on a race track of course :lol: )

Im not a big fan of the standard spoiler up. However whilst driving back home from work at night, ive noticed the spoiler, when up, is often in direct line of the lights of the car behind and so blocks it out the way. :)

I've noticed if you stop quickly and turn the ignition off it sticks in the half closed position, happened to me a few times when i've stopped for petrol

Yeh thats happened to me a few times as well, especialy when handbrake turning infront of the super unleaded. ;)

Wow, either your brakes are considerably better than mine or my spoiler is super-fast - that's never happened to me. I never get tired of the spoiler; it's been over two years since I bought the car and I still dig it.