Sign in to follow this  
buttles

Road Noise from Toyo T1s

Losing the plot here! Has anyone who has these tyres had a bad noise that sounds like wheel bearings come on gradually towards the end of their life?

Got about 2 mm legal life left. No flat spots or any obvious damage. Done bearings and noise still there. Comes and goes when cornering. Drive shafts not knocking at all. Ahhh! Cheers.

mmm funny you should post this- I have just the same- Toyo TI-s and a road noise like a wheel bearing gone-even though all four 'feel' OK! Cars going in to a garage soon and this is one of the things they are looking at so I'll keep you posted.

Been using TI-S's for a few years though- never had this before :-(

Not had that as such with Toyos but I did have exactly the same symptoms as you when my original tyres (can't remember the make now) were very low on tread. I put Toyos on and the noise disappeared (for then)!

This the first time I have used them, hense the post. They are nowhere near the limits yet and wearing down really evenly. Ice White...I will await your outcome. I had a front bearing start singing a while ago and it felt fine. Changed it and the noise went.

It's not raining too hard today so under we go... :)

A mate bought some 19" BBS LMs with worn Toyo Proxes on to put on a Golf 4-Motion. When he fitted them they made an awful sound and he feared bearings, binding callipers etc. He fitted new tyres again Toyo Proxes and the noise and problem disappeared. The originals were suffering from a little uneven wear so perhaps that was the issue?

I've had one go noisy (as you say, just like a bearing on the way out) on the nearside rear. It had tons of tread left but was about 3 years old. Was told that they have a tendancy to go slightly oval with age?

Apparently once tyres are over about 18months old, they start going off and losing their grip. Anything over 5yrs old shouldn't really be used cos it will have degraded too much and will be dangerous.

Ok, great. I did swap front to rear and made no difference so will change two at a time and see. Now, what to try next................!

Apparently once tyres are over about 18months old, they start going off and losing their grip. Anything over 5yrs old shouldn't really be used cos it will have degraded too much and will be dangerous.

18months!!I would give me right arm for a set that lasted more than six months on the C- especially those Toyos :D

Interesting comment about them going out of shape- they do look a bit oval actually (although Its probably just me as I doubt they go oval enough to actually see the difference).

I have already checked my bearings and they seem fine- so I was going to ask the mechanic to have a double check and maybe replace the back two bearings on the off-chance. My Toyos are on the tread indicator on the back so I may just get a new set of tyres

Cheers

:lol: Yeah, 18months on a C is pushing it, but if it's not a daily driver...

If the tyres need replacing anyway, then you might as well get new ones fitted first, then if that doesn't solve the problem look at getting the bearings replaced. No point in changing everything at once because then you won't know what was causing it and/or have spent extra money.

I used to have a set of T1-S's on my old mkIII GTI, they were quite noisy especailly under braking.

Perhaps the rubber wears out unevenly causing the droning noise.

Might even be prudent to check the sidewalls for bulging.

You can tell if it's bearings by driving round a corner at low to moderate speed, if the noise increases on the loaded wheel then that one has a worn bearing.

hmmmm... have noticed the cabin noise in my C is quite loud too... i have toyo proxy t1s's on all 4 wheels... i just put it down to the fact they are stretched and 215/40 profile. the car was much quieter with the 15's.....

Low profile tyres are noisier anyway.

I've just changed from 215-40-16's to proper 205-50-15's and the ride is plush, grip's nowhere near as good though but that's probably because I have worn Kumho Ecsta tyres now.

I've put my 17s with F1 GSD3s back on, having taken the 16s with Toyos on off and the ride is near silent and a lot smoother! Definitely something not quite right with Toyo rubber compound.

It was interesting at the RR day listening to the quite noticable difference in noise that some people's tyres made on the rollers compared with others.

Sadly, I didn't actually look to see which tyres made more noise than others, so not of a huge amount of use :lol:

It was interesting at the RR day listening to the quite noticable difference in noise that some people's tyres made on the rollers compared with others.

Sadly, I didn't actually look to see which tyres made more noise than others, so not of a huge amount of use

Retrospect is a wonderful thing, I could have probably earned a degree in it if only I had known at the time :D

Don't you just love V-Tech bearings,GSF :x Road noise turned out to be a rear bearing.

Oh yes, I hear you ask, the same one I changed at the start of this sorry tale. It failed as I was working my way through diagnosing the noise so when I had changed all four the noise was still there. Luckily I had not gone for the new tyre route. Toyo T1 Ss I have on are OK. Blox!