Sign in to follow this  
jazzdevil

Places your C can't go...

Don't know if this one has been asked before...

made a trip to Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth for the benefit of my other half yesterday. cruised in without any drama but found out on the way out of the car park that my C is just low enough to bottom out (quite hard) crossing one of those nasty little black/yellow rubber speed bumps :x (this is probably Earl style karma after I laughed at my sister for scuffing her Saxo VTR on the wall of the narrow ramps of Southampton's Bargate Centre :lol: )

So, obvious places like 'the moon', 'off-roading in Peak District', 'the Namib desert' aside, does anyone have any notes on where fellow C drivers shouldn't attempt to drive?

I never drive all the way to my mums house. She has a really steep bumpy lane and I wouldn't even attempt it, just park at the top and walk down.

those red square speed bumps, nearly ripped my bumper off and sort of nearly got stuck on the middle, just seeing if i could get over them when i lowered that answered my question.

My ex had an extremely steep drive which was really hard to get back up at the top, really caught the underside of my car at the top, funnily enough her dad has a Rado vr6 but his is standard height.

TBH I don't really care how much stick my splitter takes as it's flexible and it hit it everywhere beings mine very low.

Can always just buy a new one anyway :)

Couldn't take my old G60 around multistory car parks without a drama! :(

In and out my garage.

I have problems doing it now (front bumper catches the floor), so imagine what its gonna be like when I lower it!

wats the point of having a car u cant take anywhere especially to work!!!!

sorry but if a non member read this thread he be calling you all idiots :lol:

one of the motorway services, but I can't remember which one!

possibly oxford, has a BITCH of a speedhump on the way in.

I always remember which one it is and I have to make a dodgy manouvre to head across to the exit lane intead and avoid the place altogether.

wats the point of having a car u cant take anywhere especially to work!!!!

sorry but if a non member read this thread he be calling you all idiots :lol:

I drive my car everyday (not for the last 10 weeks as its in the bodyshop :mad: ) but I do have trouble with speedhumps and the massive potholes around Huddersfield. Once out of this.........town its a lot better 8) TBH I cant stand the orig ride height of the C and IMO look best when they are slammed. Speed humps are just something Im used too now :roll:

well, that was when I had my mk2. I've not been there in the C....well, or any car that I've owened since the mk2 in fact!

even my mk4 cathces on the speedhump at work (only the mudflaps though, and if I get the speed spot on it clears)

daily drivers need to be kept a sensible height. I've lived with a slammed car.it's a pain in the arse having to plan your route so you can make sure you don't get stuck anywhere.

i struggle to get the C down the road to te farm where the horses are... the road has a big drop on the way in that you have to negotiate at an angle and its got loads of mucky potholes that you cant avoid on the way down, i find its best not to do it to slowly or it feels worse!! and to add insult to injury the road is really mucky and the car end up filthy...!!! grrrrr!!!!

thats all really tho... have learned which car parks etc are rado friendly and tend to stick to them....

I can't reverse up my driveway (I like the idea of driving straight off rather than reverse down and turn around) so I have to drive straight up, and even then I have to approach at an angle, especially when I leave other it will scrape.

And I have problems with certain speedbumps only when there's more than 2 people in the car, but that's "just" the heatshield...

I can go anywhere and any terrain and it will stay that way until i have got enuff dosh for my coilleys :)

But the whole subject does make me consider dropping as little as i can. I just love being able to drive as much on the edge and within the law that I can. Sod having a car that handles so supremely, drives so fast, that i have to pussy foot around and worry about a dip in the road that may be round the next corner or have to turn round when i see anything that resembles a speed bump.

I can understand bumpy old country tracks as they can be a beetch to get through in most cars , but not being able to drive the car to the limits it eggs you to push, because you got it so low it scrapes anything two inchs aqbove road level - well that sounds just plain daft to me.

But the whole subject does make me consider dropping as little as i can.

That's why the coilys on mine are only on the minimum drop, did get caught out entering the Gordano services (M5) car park recently though, there's a speed hump on the way in that looks small, but hit it at any sort of speed and you and everyone in the car park will know about it! Luckily the 90mm chin spoiler can take a fair old battering.

I tend to avoid most multi-storey car parks as well, even before lowering the spoiler would scrape on the ramps, dread to think what it would be like now.