Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

blue sensor/black sensor, where and how?

I have really bad cold starting problem and have been doing some searches on this site and have found some info on how it might be worth replacing the Blue or black or both sensors?

I have a 2ltr 16v 1993 corrado.

Can someone please enlighten me on these and what to ask for at GSF and where they are in the engine bay?

thanks,

Neil

blue sender reports to the ECU (from what i know), black is for your gauges. if the gauges are correct, just change the blue one. About 9 quid in total iirc from GSF inc postage. ask for the o-ring too which holds it into place in its bed.

disconnect the wiring harness that connects to the sender - pull out a clip holding it in place - and lift the sender out. at least thats on a G60 - not sure about yours but wont be too far different...

and not sure where it is on a 2l 16v.

It's completely different on the 2.0 16v, for a start it's not blue (it's white). It's on the flywheel end of the cylinder head and is a switch rather than a negative temperature coefficient sender. You can test the one you have with the aid of a thermometer, a kettle and a multimeter - definitely better than paying £28 for a new one un-necessarily....like I did.

Here's a picture I found on the forum when I had the same question...

so i take it the 'blue' sensor is the coolant temp sensor which is number #3 in the pic, and is it held in via a treaded bolt?

PLease help.

so i take it the 'blue' sensor is the coolant temp sensor which is number #3 in the pic, and is it held in via a treaded bolt?

That's the one.

Any ideas on what readings you should get when it's tested with a multimeter?

If you're testing the 16v sensor then you're just checking that the switch changes state at a certain temperature. If you're testing a 'blue' temperaure sender than I'm not sure what the temperature/resistance relationship is off the top of my head. I'm sure the information is available, maybe in the Bentley manual.

what would happen if that collent sensor was broken, how would i know, like irratic reving or lumpy idle or not a good start from cold?

And how do i test the sensor, i have a multi meter.

think Im getting closer to my probs!