Sign in to follow this  
briggy

VR6 whining noise.

I'm slowly getting round to sorting the things that annoy me, but don't cause too many problems.

Next on the list - I get whining noise when the engine is cold. The pitch varies with the revs and goes completely after about 5 minutes of driving.

Has anyone come across this and how did you fix it?

Cheers,

Briggy

I should add that mine does it when out of gear and also the alternator belt was recently changed.

Cheers,

Briggy

I have heard this on many VWs, and I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about.

Check the belt tensioner for sure, but lots do it..

Mine is coing it too, but it's been ID'd.

Mine gets louder as the revs increase and does it out of gear also.

Its the lower tensioner and also one of the chains is gouging the guide rails. I saw it when the mechanic had the engine out to skim the head recently.

Getting the chains, guides and lwr tensioner replaced on the 14th.

It's the PAS pump....

hmmm... I get the same whine at start up when cold.. also my pas whines while I'm driving now, and the car pulls side to side under braking.

I've recorded a movie clip on my digital camera. I've no idea how to extract just the sound from it. The file is too large (2.3M) to load onto here. If anyone thinks they could diagnose the problem from the sound and is prepared to send me their email address, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Briggy

Ah, but that wouldn't go after a few mins of driving... ;)

Mine does it too, and I don't think it'll be the chains as they were done recently...

mine does this but not just when cold , i've put a new tensioner bearing in and a new belt , so i reckon its the alternator bearings or pas pump bearings

mine does it too. It goes as soon as the engine warms up although I still get a slight whistle at high revs. It sounds like it's common to VRs

Disconnect the aux belt and start it cold, see if it does it then.. (Don't run the car for long tho!)

Good idea. That'll narrow it down. Will try that over the weekend.

Cheers,

Briggy

The reason I say it's the PAS pump is because mine's done it ever since I've had the car, and in that time I've replaced the alternator, water pump, tensioner, chains/clutch, gearbox rebuilt etc....noise still there, so wasn't any of those.

Now that it's charged and does away with the tensioner altogether, the noise is STILL there, LOL! All that's driven now is the charger (which makes it's own unique noise) and the water and pas pumps and the crank certainly doesn't whine!

So....the only thing I haven't replaced is the PAS pump, so it has to be that ;-) I have a spare ZF pump at home but have never gotten round to fitting it.... might do that at the weekend actually and report back news of my new silent engine :-)

Oh and yep, PAS pump whine is very common on the VR but it can go on for years like that. It's just embarrassingly loud for the first few minutes until it warms up!

Oh and yep, PAS pump whine is very common on the VR but it can go on for years like that. It's just embarrassingly loud for the first few minutes until it warms up!

I think that's the case with all VW's of the era isn't it?..all my 90-95 VW cars have had noisey steering pumps, just gotta ignore it!

Disconnect the aux belt and start it cold, see if it does it then.. (Don't run the car for long tho!)

Ok I've completely removed the belt and the noise is still there. So we can rule out the PAS pump, water pump & alternator. I'm really a novice mechanic so what else could it be?

Cheers,

Briggy