Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

Wiring problems, UPDATED (monday 27th)

After ive been having alot of problems with my dial/dash lights being on all the time with ignition on and the headlight switch nearly catching fire, see video here...

http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/light.avi

I have now found out that the problem is NOT with the HL switch but something else, me and a mate started to try and investigate further,

When the side lights were on, and i tried to dim the dash lights up and down, when the dimmer got to the 'top' possition a CLICK could be heard from the RELAY numbered 79 under the passenger side of the dash and the copper wire on the dimmer unit got RED HOT, (as in the video)

So we kept trying things and started to take fuses out various to see if that made a difference, in the end, we took out the fuse numbered 4 (for sunroom tilt and slide and the rear wiper motor)

So bonus i thought, its got to be something wrong the the sunroof or wiper motor, so i tried the sunroof and rear wiper, and they STILL WORKED, how can that happen! with no fuse in it!

The dash lights and dimmer switch are working PERFECTLY now!

Can anyone explain what the relay 79 does or how my sunroof and rear wiper can still be working with no fuse in it?

PLEASE help!

Neil

Guvner,

im sorry to tell you this but it all happens because of aftermarket alarm immobilisers and over zealous bodging.

When I first got my rad in 2001 the engine cut out intermittently cos of a dodgy immobiliser, I employed a monkey to fix it and yes it runs... but door buzzer doenst anymore...

Check to see if there are any of those push-fit bridge connectors lurking in there... :drinking:

i didnt realise that C's had door buzzers, only the LED on the switch?

when i had a new alarm fitted whe i brought it, the guy who fitted it did say the wiring for old alarm was shocking!

Im not sure where to start tho, maybe try and trace the old alarm?

What position in the fusebox is your relay 79? The 79 is a the number of the relay and doesn't give a clue as to it function.

On the main fuse board pos 1 is top left, pos 12 is bottom right.

Things may work with the fuse out becuase they are dragging power from somewhere else? Due to the bad/shorted wiring.

Gavin

the realy NO WAY NEAR the fuse box, is on the passenger side of the car, behind the glove box, right up at the top, its the one on the RIGHT as you look at it towards the sky, it is next to a 179 relay i think!

what do the relays do that are behind the glove box on the passengers side?

Found them on ETKA I think.

Not behind the glovebox though, unless your car has been converted from LHD??

Gavin

well my car is a RHD and the two relays im on about are on the LEFT of the car, at the back of the dash, right at the top (inside the dash)

yeah its got abs,

Why would the ABS relay be clicking when i dim and un-dim the dash lights with the number 4 fuse IN?!!!

I have noticed now that without that fuse in, the REAR WIPER will only work with the headlight switch on, and when the rear motor relay gets power and the wiper arm moves, the dash lights dim!

Anyone ideas?

I think if I were you I'd have the dashboard out by now! It sounds like a proper nightmare but sometimes you just have to start at the beginning.

Yeah i know it's some wiring somewhere, and i know its probably behind the dash board, but its just starting something and not being able to finish it that worries me!