Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Mocal Oil Cooler Piccys

Dixxy, where did you get your brackets from - general B&Q stuff? They look very nice. I see you're deleted the old HX - how do you find the oil heat up rate and temperature maintenance?

Kev, with the mocal in the wing how would it get air from the cooling fans (eg when at a standstill?)

I'd advise anyone with a vr6 to get a cooler... i've been so impressed with mine!!

TBH, I was thinking about getting one but the highest i've ever seen my oil temp is 108 and it very rarely goes over 100. So I don't really need one do I?

TBH, I was thinking about getting one but the highest i've ever seen my oil temp is 108 and it very rarely goes over 100. So I don't really need one do I?

You can't be revving yours high enough then :lol:

I used to regularly see mine go over 100 when driving between 70-80mph, and when on track it went up to 130+! When i took it out on saturday in that heat, it didn't go above 90. It also helps keep the water temp down too...

Steve

is it posible to buy the sandwich plate by itself and if so, does it include the thermostatic control? I can get pipes and a cooler made up so would ilke to get the sandwich plate by itself...

Dixxy, where did you get your brackets from - general B&Q stuff? They look very nice. I see you're deleted the old HX - how do you find the oil heat up rate and temperature maintenance?

Kev, with the mocal in the wing how would it get air from the cooling fans (eg when at a standstill?)

Yeah just B&Q and a little time spent getting them right. Brought some thin alloy that was easy to shape by hand to mock up the brakets... then copied the weak alloy ones i'd made with steel. Also had them coated so they match the cooler and don't rust.

My oil heats up very quickly then stays at a steady 90 - 95. I believe the new sandwich plate acts like a thermostat allowing the oil to get to temp before cooling it.

is it posible to buy the sandwich plate by itself and if so, does it include the thermostatic control? I can get pipes and a cooler made up so would ilke to get the sandwich plate by itself...

Yes it is. Try http://www.merlinmotorsport.com

They sell both with and without thermostatic control for a good price...

I can't believe it!

The link below is the longer threaded bit i needed, and i ended up paying a silly amount for it from Stealth, with a new blanking plate which i didn't need!

http://www.merlinmotorsport.com/product ... ts_id=3400

I know Vince is a knowledgable chap, but i feel somewhat ripped off to say the least...

Reached a max of 102c in stationary traffic (use to be 114c max).

114 degrees in stationary traffic- Fahookin hell- Mine doesn't hit that temp until at least twice the national speed limit :-P

Mine has no cooler and runs about 102 normal, 106/08 on the motorway and 112-114 when its being mega-ragged- Maybe I'm just lucky but 114 sounds really high?

Speak to Darren at G-Werks. He supplied me with the thermo sandwich plate and pipework. I had the cooler from before.

Reached a max of 102c in stationary traffic (use to be 114c max).

114 degrees in stationary traffic- Fahookin hell- Mine doesn't hit that temp until at least twice the national speed limit :-P

Mine has no cooler and runs about 102 normal, 106/08 on the motorway and 112-114 when its being mega-ragged- Maybe I'm just lucky but 114 sounds really high?

102! normal!

Even in this weather when your sat in traffic for 30mins?

Sounds about right to me, as I said- I don't often go over 100. I don't often sit in traffic for 30 minutes though either.

102! normal!

Even in this weather when your sat in traffic for 30mins?

Absolutely- couldn't be normaler (I made that word up)

My oil temperature never pushes past 102 no matter how much time I spend in traffic- Whats pushes it up is ragging the knackers off it

I have to say that hitting 114 after being sat in traffic for 30 mins is undisputably high- whether your oil is *actually* at 114 degrees is another matter- but if it is I would venture to suggest that is a fair way from normal

Couple of Pic's of my install... fitted to same place as CorradoVR6-n.o.s after seeing his (thanks for the help)... i did however remove the slam panel and rediator... found it much easier this way and removal only took 15 minutes.

This old chestnut. I have installed my mocal in the same position as Dixxy. As i have aircon space is very restricted. This is not the optimnal position as on the motorway oil is never above 90, and can even drop to 84C. However, as soon as i come into traffic it will rise and can get up to 110, not too quickly but still it shouldnt really go that high. It seems there is insufficient pull on it from the fans, perhaps restricted by the aircon rad. Any other locations, and methods of installation? Ideally i would want to put it the other side of the fan so air is blown through it rather thn pulled through it, if that makes sense.

...makes a big difference to oil temps...

what is the oil cooler size? number of rows?

...pics of my ole Nugget having one fitted, but it's a G60...

what is the oil cooler size? number of rows?

side note...

Anyone have a reference chart of recommendations for a g60 motor, in stock and higher bwhp. :help:

how much more oil do you need to add to compensate the oil in the cooler and lines?

Finished mine yesterday and it took just over a ltr of oil to top it back up.

Managed to fit it to a high standard by removing just the grill and NS headlight, didn't even need to get under it, if anyone has one to fit then let me know and I'll give you my little run through

cooler.jpg[/attachment:20r3fcei]

will it make a major difference if the cooling fans are not fitted airtight to the radiator (potential to pull air from other than through the rad fins)?

how much more oil do you need to add to compensate the oil in the cooler and lines?

Finished mine yesterday and it took just over a ltr of oil to top it back up.

Managed to fit it to a high standard by removing just the grill and NS headlight, didn't even need to get under it, if anyone has one to fit then let me know and I'll give you my little run through

cooler.jpg[/attachment:3vs9p156]

Hey,

That is the same location where I installed my mocal oil cooler too.

great minds think alike

:wink:

Hey,

great minds think alike

Seamed the logical place and I'm lazy so it was nice and easy :)

One question though if anyone can help, I filled mine up as a bit of a guestimate, it seems spot on with the engine running (a bit below max) but when I check it from cold I now have far too much in the sump, is this an issue?

My cooler is mounted upside down so it probably struggles to keep oil in but I didn't expect it to just all run out when it's turned off.

Has anybody got any idea what I should be looking for on my dipstick when the car has sat and the engine hasn't been run?

Hey,

great minds think alike

Seamed the logical place and I'm lazy so it was nice and easy :)

One question though if anyone can help, I filled mine up as a bit of a guestimate, it seems spot on with the engine running (a bit below max) but when I check it from cold I now have far too much in the sump, is this an issue?

My cooler is mounted upside down so it probably struggles to keep oil in but I didn't expect it to just all run out when it's turned off.

Has anybody got any idea what I should be looking for on my dipstick when the car has sat and the engine hasn't been run?

You need to take into account that you will need that much more oil the external oil cooling system will take. since not everyone uses the same location and length of hose, it will depends on how volume it takes. Once you calculated how much more oil it takes. then you add that amount to the existing oil and whatever reading on the dipstick should be the correct oil level when cold.

Same place as mine is fitted, had it a couple of years now and superb oil never goes above 96deg.

But mechanic said never ever again!!

You need to take into account that you will need that much more oil the external oil cooling system will take. since not everyone uses the same location and length of hose, it will depends on how volume it takes. Once you calculated how much more oil it takes. then you add that amount to the existing oil and whatever reading on the dipstick should be the correct oil level when cold.

So it's not an exact science? My recommended dipstick levels are now irrelevent?

Only reason I ask is that I'm going to the 'Ring in a month without a baffled sump so oil levels are extremely important.

Bit worried about over filling it too as I don't want to blow a hole in the block etc :help: