Sign in to follow this  
dragon

R1 Vs Porsche Vs Tornado

bcstudent, i think its a 996 TT, the way the front stick out for the fried egg lights...? could be wrong tho

I can't tell one Porsche from another! In the side shot I paused at it looked longer than a 996 with a different back end...but now I look again it could well be. Whatever, it's fast!

I'm not sure. I can tell you this though...I had a race for a couple of miles from about 50mph on my '05 R1 against a new-ish 911 GT3 last year. The '05 R1 has more top-end power than the '03 in that video, and at an indicated 160-odd the Porsche wasn't that far behind me. I was pretty impressed.

160 on a bike??????????? :cuckoo:

Fair play to you though, you've got bigger kahunas than me!!!

Must have been pretty draughty though!! :lol:

Heh, not fair, the Tornado doesn't reach peak engine efficiency till 300 mph ...

350+ for gas turbines over props and a tornado engine actually idles at 65% which isn't its most efficient 8)

160 on a bike??????????? :cuckoo:

Fair play to you though, you've got bigger kahunas than me!!!

Must have been pretty draughty though!! :lol:

The R1 got to indicated speeds well in excess of 160mph. You don't need big nuts to go for it in a straight line on a bike. 160mph is just like 130mph!

That's like saying "12 pints is just like 4 pints" ("officer"..) ;)

Never been that fast on a bike, but I would imagine the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel alone tends to keep the bike pretty stable!

Thats a Jaguar by the way.

Defo looks like it, but it must be a French one as it has no RWR aerials on the fin (No Im not a spotter, just worked on them for 8 yrs ;) )

Yeah I think the R1 must have slowed down, I wouldn't have thought the R1 could be caught once that far ahead!! Unless the bike suffered with a lot of drag at that speed?

the bike def throttles back, probably shat himself when he saw the tornado hurtle past the corner of his eye! i've nearly binned it when a bee flies by never mind a f-n jet fighter!

That's like saying "12 pints is just like 4 pints" ("officer"..) ;)

I'd agree in terms of the law. To clarify I was talking from the rider's perspective.

Never been that fast on a bike, but I would imagine the gyroscopic effect of the front wheel alone tends to keep the bike pretty stable!

Exactly, there's no skill required for high-speed straight-line motorcycle thrashing. Just the ability to put the possible consequences of your actions out of your mind for a while. As for wind, the '04-'06 model R1 fairing is more effective at keeping the wind off than you'd imagine, even for a 6' 2'' rider like me. Interestingly (to me) my 5' 8'' mate struggled with the wind blast on his '98 R1 on the way to the Isle of Man last year. Ain't progress grand?!

I can't say for definite if the bike did or didn't slow down, although I tend to think he may have. I'm not taking anything away from that Porsche though...it's fast!