Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Clicking VR - starter motor shagged???

nope. not the battery :(

anyone want to buy a black vr with heated leather and air-con? had enough now

try leaving the car in gear and rock the car backwards and forwards,the starter could be jammed,or clack it with a hammer,although theres feck all room to do that on a VR6

tried the hammer, but like you say there's no room bud.

seriously hacked off today. not a good day for this sh*t :(

tried the in-gear thing mate. nowt.

so it's doing nothing but click.

new battery.

still nothing.

:(

Have you noticed whether your starter has been getting progressively slower?

Mine went that way, kept checking earths and batteries etc but in the end it was the starter itself and one morning it just went click-click-click-click....

Didn't want to suggest starter until the cheap things were done first, but starters for the VR are about £120 exchange and made by Bosch.

Just prior to the clicking, it cranked like this....ra....ra.....ra.....ra....

New starter, and she's cranks like this....ra ra ra ra ra ra ra ra.... if that makes sense? :-) Where's the cranking over mpg when you need one?!

Chances are your motor is so dead it's jammed in the flywheel teeth, meaning it won't bump start either.....

I do hope it isn't the starter, but it's looking that way.....

Oh and mine died at 120K.

I hope you didn't pay for a battery instead of a battery tester ... !!

When my starter died it wasn't repeatedly clicking, it would click once. The copper braid that carries the current from the solenoid to the starter coils was rotted through, it was just green powder. It had exploded in the cold air.

When you said it was "clicking" I assumed you meant repeatedly, and rapidly...?

i did indeed mate. would you walk 2 miles just to test your battery when you're relying on your car to get sh*t sorted today? i didn't and the gamble didn't pay off.

kev, all i can say i really noticed was one or two days of extra key-turnage required to get started. it did nothing this morning - just clicked.

the trouble is i've just moved here really and don't know a soul. so can't even go and get a starter. can't get it to the garage either!

bit buggered really. :(

EDIT: dr_mat - it clicks once only

The starter connection is a big FAT cable, which looks like it's connected ok there.

Sorry, my bad - if you'd said "clicks once" I would have added that it could be the starter...

Trace the big fat cable down to the starter solenoid (smallish black cylindrical object), you should see below it a thick copper cable running to another, black cylindrical object (the motor itself). See if that link cable is intact.

nope. i can't make head nor tail of it.

i trace the big cable about 12 inches then it is a complete mess of cables, pipes, etc and I can't see a bloody thing.

maybe i'm an idiot but i cant get anywhere near any connections to see if they're ok.

never mind.

thanks for your help guys.

i reckon its all the sh*t from my air-con getting in the way.

just looking at pics of engine bays on here and it looks really empty on them!

i just can't get anywhere near the starter motor to check connections etc because of all the hoses etc :(

My starter went on Tuesday morning.

When I turned the key I got a single click from the solenoid - nothing else. Up to this point it worked fine, had no warning at all. The AA man tried beating the living daylights out of the starter with no joy. Battery was fine, did'nt start with a jump anyway. Did manage to get it going with a push from a few people nearby.

Bought a re-con from GSF yesterday £72.50 + VAT. Changed starter yesterday - now starts like a dream. Unfortunately the alarm keeps going off now - always something with theses wonderful cars.

Changing the starter is a complete doddle, a few cables and 2 bolts, thats basically it.

Have just definately narrowed mine down to the starter. Have just this second managed to bump the fekin thing (thought i'd risk it as new head coming today anyway) so it must be the starter.

Do GSF keep them on the shelf mate, or did you have to order it in?

hello double 6s, still having problems ? if you are really stuck i could pop round either later today or tommorow morning and help you get the fecker on

hey mate. thanks so much for the offer! you're a star.

i think i'm sorted though.

got a new starter turning up at 2.00 and just managed to get the thing started (with a bump) so i'll take it round to the man.

i really appreciate your offer of help though mate.

PS. new battery, will jump start (wouldn't yesterday) so it's got to be the starter eh?

it's got to be the starter eh?

certainly looks like it.

really appreciate your offer of help though mate.

not a problem, i know what it`s like to be completely stuck :thumbleft:

was worried about bumping it as people had said the chain can jump.

new head turning up later today though so i thought i might as well risk it.

its not gonna be an easy job. i can't beieve the amount of sh*t there is in the way! looks like its all the air-con gubbins. i honestly can't even see the starter! :(

it was the fekin ignition switch after all that!!!

not all bad though.... my mate had the battery and new starter going back to GSF :)

Glad to hear you got her started mate, never let the b1tches win!

cheers dude.

you live and learn eh?

:)