Sign in to follow this  
blue95

1995 16v Suspension questions?

Hi all,

I know there are loads of threads on suspension (think this is part of the problem), but I had a few q's regarding the setup on later models Cs.

I have 1995 16v C (N Reg), I am intrested in buying a set of coilovers (FK). There seems to be loads of info on what to change to e.g. VR6 top mounts, spring plates, bearings etc etc.

My question is, is my setup different to say a 1994 valver and can I fit VR6 top mounts etc to mine? will I need to change the spring plates?

Also what exactly do I need to change on the rear shocks?

Thanks

I thought the later valvers had the newer topmounts anyway :?:

I know that I've just bought newer ones for my G60... but that's because stealers wanted stupid money for the old ones.

Thanks for your reply.

Bit new to this so no idea!

Just rung GSF thoug, very helpfull. They confirmed it has the later bits (basically same as VR6. Got some prices too not bad:

45722D TOP SPRING PLATE-REAR G3 Ex. Estate 4.85each

45737K STRUT TOP MOUNTING KIT CO 4 Cyl 7/94 > (Ch.50-S-000052> 11.00each

45722B SUSP.TOP MOUNT.-RE UPPER CO 2.50each

45722C SUSP.TOP MOUNT.-RE LOWER CO 3.25each

Do I need to replace the rear spring plate? I thought there was front one, but they said no!

Vr6 top mounts are a different diameter to other flavour raddo top mounts AFAIK.

When I tried fitting them to my 92 g60 I had to use the top plate from the old mounts I had taken off.

blue - I dont see how the 95 will be different to the 94. Im sure all are same since 92 - or is that just cat related?

Anyhow, you got the mounts - what next? Keep us posted

I could be talkin pants, as I am new to this.

But I think there were some differences.

Looking at the GSF parts list the part number for the VR6 top mounts is the same as for the 16v with chassis No (Ch.50-S-000052) and production date > 7/94. See infor below from there website:

45737K STRUT TOP MOUNTING KIT CO 4 Cyl 7/94 > (Ch.50-S-000052> 11.00 Add

45737K STRUT TOP MOUNTING KIT CO VR6 8/91 > 11.00

Going off topic for 1 sec...

..Exciting times ahead as I have almost got the C back on the road, she is going in next week for bit of paint hope to have some snaps up then.

Spec is pretty standard except for Scorpion exhaust and 17" 5 spoke alloys. Car is Moonlight or Midnight Blue (can't remember which!)

OK folks here is the score with top mounts.

There ARE 2 main types of top mount that can be fitted but there are also some revisions within the second type.

The first type of top mounts were designed for the 1.8 G60/16v and also used on all but the very late 2.0 8v/16v. These are fairly hefty bits of rubber and the spring caps will retain a spring that is 105mm in diameter.

The next type of top mount assembly is the one that is commonly referred to as the VR type. What is often overlooked is that this type of top mount assembly was also fitted to late 2.0l 8v/16v cars as well. The revision to this set-up came in 06.93 when the spring cap was changed from an item that would retain a 105mm spring to an item that would only retain a 92mm spring. The bump stop, bellows and coil springs were also altered at the same time. The only company that supplies lowering springs in a 92mm size is PI (Thanks 2cc for that one) The reason for this change to a smaller diameter spring cap was to improve ride and suspension response. It is also worth noting that all the earlier types of suspension can be retrofitted with the later ones.

I would not recommend fitting 3rd party components for use in top mounts assemblies as this is a critical part of the car.

If you get coilovers then you should get a new set of top mounts supplied with them.