Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

Feel like taking a sledgehammer to the car!!! :mad:

It's 6pm - I'm raging! Started about 2pm - was trying to do the LED conversion to my instrument panel! Total nightmare. I thought I was prepared - printed off a few hints and tips from the forum and confidently tackled it. Four hours later I'm no further along - car is still in original state and I've managed to break the black plastic surround!

I'm no mechanical genius but I've fitted two interiors and they were a piece of piss compared to this! I couldn't get the LCD screen unplugged so that I could change the polarising lense or fit the new LEDS. There's so little room to maneuver and found it impossible to see the rear of the VDO cluster.

When I eventually gave up due to fading light and a sprinkling of rain. I found it fairly easy to reassemble everything and put it back in it's place until I went to put black plastic surround back on - it won't fit flush with the dashboard and the right hand screw tab has broken off! :mad:

I really hate when stuff like this happens and I'm feeling pretty facked off right now - any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated - although I wont get a chance to have a second shot till next Sunday now. And I'm looking for a bit of plastic trim now too! :oops:

Think I'll finish off that bottle of plonk in the fridge tonight! :drinking:

Not had a day like that with my C as of yet but I know the feeling mate!

Like CorradoVR6-n.o.s said, keep at it, have another go next week and you might find it all just fits into place.

Cheers guys - I've never felt this frustrated with the car after 3yrs of Corrado ownership. At least I know more what to expect when I try again though. But will still need help to unplug the LCD screens.

No - I couldn't disconnect it - so LCD panels were still functioning. I took surround off - removed screws to take transparent face off - removed green filter, removed clock faces and removed screws - but couldn't unplug the LCD screens. We tried unclipping them from the rear but no joy - my dad said he thought it had a plastic tie clip on it - that might be giving problems.

You need to take the whole instrument binnacle out of the car otherwise it's just not possible as there's screws on the back of the main pcb that hold the screens in, that you can only get to with the pcb out, which you can only do with the unit out of the car, as the connector plug on the back plugs onto the main pcb.

Why couldn't you unplug it?

Hey Greeny - that looks like it'll help tonnes - cheers! I kept trying to access that site but it kept kicking me off AOL so I gave up.

The instuctions I got weren't so clear - I thought you had to unplug it before you could remove it and there's little or no slack on the cabling - it simply wouldn't come out of the car - so we had to fish around at the rear of it using a mirror to see what we were doing. No wonder we couldn't unplug the panels!

the little screws are small buggers which are a strange type ( 6 pointed star ) can remember what they are called T?. You need to use the right bit on them as mine were quite tight and i was worried about slipping and wrecking some tracks on the PCB.

I had a really bad day when I did my instrument cluster too. The surround just wiggles in there, but you will have cursed your mother for giving birth to you before you get it in there the first time.

the little screws are small buggers which are a strange type ( 6 pointed star ) can remember what they are called T?

Those would be the Torx screws dazzyvr6 mentioned.