Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Notchy Gear Solution

Just had my rear passenger side engine mount replaced (also attatched to gearbox) as mine had nearly gone.

Less than an hour to fit and £25ish from GSF (which G-Man recommended, cheers again!).

Wasn't particulary bad before but now its silky smooth! I could move the engine by just leaning on it so thats how bad it was, I assume the gearbox had play in it too, hence the notchier change.

For the sake of £25 + 1 hour labour (or DIY), I'd say its worth it!

Also, the GSF mount is for the Golf MK3 TDI and is uprated compared to the standard C one.

Aye, the solid mount does wonders. I have a feeling that my front engine mount needs doing soon, but they're rather more pricey :(

cool,ive got a solid front mount and wondered about the side ones...

think ill stay away from the vibratechnics one with already having solid front :shock:

Neil.

dinkus there selling them on ebay at the minute for £99!

Have a look mate!

Oh and also do any of you try and refit the heat guard after installing a VT rear mount ?

Just get the rear gearbox mount from GSF. It's the same one for the Golf MK3 TDI which is harder than the standard C one. Unless your tinkering with the VR6 engine I wouldn't bother with expensive ones.

Gsf only charge £23 for it.

if you only replace one then it will wear out in no time trust me,,,, you need to change them all at once

Exactly.

It also states in the blue book of much info that you must loosen the bolts of all the mounts and rock the engine to ensure a 'stress free install'

You need to undo the following:

Front mount where it attaches to the engine bracket top single nut.

Front mount where it attaches to the crossmember both bolts.

Gearbox mount the top nut.

Gearbox mount the two smaller bolts that hold it into the subframe.

Rear engine mount just the two bolts that are at a 45 degree angle from underneath the car through the subframe.

Try and rock it around and then do them up in the same sequence.

just how much better than standard are these mk3 ones? mine has a new standard ones and a vibra front, but it feels a bit sloppy

would a mk3 one offer much differance over a new std one

I've gone from a knackered one to a new one so couldn't say. It was g-man from g-werks that told me to get that. It's all gsf sells, labeled as VR6/MK3 TDI.

prob different for a VR6 than a 16v. Chances are yours are the same as the mk2 golf/ibiza cupra 16v etc. I just rung them up and they sent it to my mech.

I got one for a G60 in GSF a few weeks back Barry, I'd imagine it's the same as for a 16v.

Am I right in thinking there is a front engine mount and a gearbox mount for the 16V or is that just the VR6?

I hear the gearbox mount can be a bitch to fit?

The gearbox mount is dead easy to fit.

All the corrado engines share the same layout of mounts, but not the same parts.

There is one on the front crossmember near the starter motor, one at the rear of the engine under the brake servo area, and one at the back of the gearbox.

I have an "up rated" one in the front near the starter not sure if it made much difference its not a solid one just a TDi or whatever VW mrk 3 one I got at the time. I might get one of the solid ones from gworks in a few weeks if needed.

Im thinking the gearbox one at the back of the box could be in need of replacing as the gearchange from 2-3 is well notchy.

Well the new one in GSF only cost me 20 quid or something so it's worth changing anyway. It may or may not help the notchy gear change it could be the selector bushes on the topf of the gearbox that are worn.

yeah ill see how it goes im putting in a mocal cooler next week so I might pick up a gearbox mount when im in GSF getting coolant.