Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Uprated fuel pump

Thinking of replacing my tired fuel pump with an uprated aftermarket type. Has anyone fitted one and was there any improvements i.e trottle response ,more top end power etc? These dont actually cost much more than an oe one from the stealers!

I was thinking of getting a (Sytec) pump,anyone heard about of or fitted one of these?

TBH You're better sticking with standard. It provides more than enough pressure (4bar rings a bell) and can sustain it for long periods. A more powerful pump could cause a rich mixture.

An uprated pump wouldnt cause a rich mixture, your fuel pressure regulator takes care of that

How much power does kevhaywire do on his supercharged vr? Certainly won't need one on a std car.

Gavin

Kev is running an uprated pump but standard ones are fine for NA use, VSR etc.. as with most aftermarket stuff they don't fit as well as the original so stick with OE if you can, less than a ton new...

I used a Walbro pump to begin with but it sits too high in the pump housing, so the last big white marker on the fuel guage is your lot (about 1/4).

I then stuck a Sytec one in and Vince has some special alloy rings to make them sit in the housing tightly and it also sits in the same position as stock (about 5mm off the tank floor) so can use the full range of tank capacity.

An uprated pump won't cause any harm on a standard engine as the FPR returns the unused fuel back to the tank as Rosco said, but the Walbro and Sytec can sit at max flow rate and pressure (higher than standard) all day long, the standard can't, especially not when the larger injectors demand a sudden peak of fuel at WOT when running forced induction. The standard pump can cope to a point but it won't last half as long.

About £85 ish I think.

Yep, a straight fit but you need one of the locating rings from Stealth to ensure the top of the pump sits tightly in the pump housing, otherwise it'll flop about.

When I was running the standard pump, about an hour after a hard thrape I took the pump out (as you do!) and it was very hot, definitely over worked.

An uprated pump won't give you more power, but it will ensure the engine delivers maximum power all of the time, plus the uprated pumps are well over engineered and will last indefinitely.

time for this pic again!

88963375.jpg

SX performance, THE name in fuel pumps. As used on a certain 600bhp hyabusa turbo. That setup there will deliver enough fuel to supply a 750bhp engine.

I'll actually get around to fitting it one day

88963171.jpg

a bit of an overkill unless you plan on going for 400bhp+ (which I am)

The pump for the housing looks great, looks like it sits in the standard pick up point which believe me, is a bloody good thing. I was forever running dry with the Walbro, which sits too high.

Is the other one an external pump or a filter?

no, you got it the wrong way round. that's the filter on the tank cap, the bog bit is the pump (bloody heavy it is to, it's like a sodding starter motor!). I can't use the housing though, syncro tank, it doesn't have the locking collar i the bottom of the tank to clip it to, and all my atttempts at making one stick have failed. ack to the drawing board on that one.

fuel lines are the same size as my oil filter hoses!

For mild forced induction performance a walbro inline pump would be ok. For more power Aeromotive has the A1000 unit (800hp), you really want a surge tank with this beast.

The walbros inline can be bit noisy.

Just fitting a Walbro pump from Stealth. The adaptor ring does make it sit high as Kev says. I have put a short length of pipe on the inlet to take the opening down to the same level as Std. Anybody see a problem with that?! Ta.

Or be a cheap bastid like me and fit an old K-jet bosch pump sourced from a breaker and fit that,it'll keep up with the output up to 500+brake,costs virtually nowt but has the same problem Kev mentioned,you have to have at least a third of a tank of fuel otherwise it sucks in air whilst cornering but who ever goes racing with their car in reserve?..