Sign in to follow this  
tim20vt

coilovers fitted,pulls to left badly

just fitted some fk coilovers,im sure ive fit it all right checked lengths etc the car looks to be sat even and im sure i havnt disturbed anything else,now the steering wheels like half a turn out and if acellerate hardish it puls to the left any ideas or is it because the old standard gear could have been so knackerd that now its right it just needs tracking up?

just fitted some fk coilovers,im sure ive fit it all right checked lengths etc the car looks to be sat even and im sure i havnt disturbed anything else,now the steering wheels like half a turn out and if acellerate hardish it puls to the left any ideas or is it because the old standard gear could have been so knackerd that now its right it just needs tracking up?

Try to find a wheel alignment place that does all 4 wheels. Whilst the rear wheels on the C are not adjustable (Well they are but it involves shims) this may seem like a waste of time. But it does ensure the rear wheels are directly behind the front ones and I think most people would agree the car feels very planted post 4 wheel align.

On top of that all the decent 4 wheel alignment systems will give you a printout of your settings and they are mounted on the rims not the tyres for a more accurate reading.

If you do go for a 4 wheel align the figures given are designed to be used on a car in the following state:

No spare wheel

Empty fuel tank

No tools

Empty boot

I realise an empty fuel tank may cause you problems but an estimate for that lot removed and a nearly empty tank compared to a full tank and bits will add around 70kg over the back axle. With the sensitivity of the 4 wheel alignment kit that can be enough to make the back end seem out.

I've never thought about all that extra weight in the back, will bear that in mind when i get mine done again in the nxt month or so.

Any good car crash repair garage should have 4 wheel alignment kit..... And dont get fobbed off by going in to get teh tracking checked, it is very very different in both cost and the difference it makes to the car.

Mark

im fiting some coilovers soon,

so all i need to do after is the 4 wheel alignment? yes?

just double checking.

im fiting some coilovers soon,

so all i need to do after is the 4 wheel alignment? yes?

just double checking.

Yup, really should be done every year to keep the car in top form, especially with the amount of knocks the suspension gets with the state of the roads.

Should be paying around £60-80 a go for it, but like I posted earlier you do get a nice printout to keep and it means you will only have to keep your tyre pressures on spec to help with even tyre wear.

ive seen on other posts peeps measuring the wheel to the arch etc to set the kit up,ive only set the threads on the coilovers equal with a ruler,is this method ok or would ya go for trying to set it off the arches,im gonna get my new bushes fitted asap and then get it in for 4 wheel tracking think they have that kit where i normaly go but they cant check the front wheel camber but im thinking that shouldnt be making it pull? only the tracking..and for anyone else whos fitted coilovers when i removed the rear strut and looked up in the rear arch theres a rubber still up there i take it this stayes in place and the coilover top sits against it like the standard steel top spring cap does?

cheers

If you didn't scribe round the bottom of the strut where it bolts on to the wheel bearing housing and fitted the coilover in the same place, the camber will be out and with it the tracking.

On the rear suspension, the rubber bush does sit between the body and the top of the coilover but is should have come out with the strut. Generally a good idea to replace these things though as they perish with age...